See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 4 November 2018

My friend and I were very impressed with this hotel. The other recent reviews don’t even sound like the same place! Our room was spacious and had a view of the Mississippi. The beds were very comfortable. But what we found most impressive was the staff. Every single person was excellent, from check in to housekeeping.

We arrived Early’s around 10:30 but they had a room ready and let us check-in. We were headed out so they just took our bags to the room for us. That night we asked where a place was and two staff members were leaving. They said “Come on, We are going right by there. We will show you”. We had some laughs on the way and they shared some tips on our time in the area. The next morning housekeeping came but we were not ready to check out and she just smiled and said “OK, Sure hope you enjoyed your stay here”. The doorman was always friendly and gave us several good recommendations on place to eat. Checkout was quick and easy (but we were later). They have a coffee shop with great coffee and delicious pastries. I guess the only negative I observed was a traffic jam of people in the morning getting coffee and checking out. They are both in the same area and during the morning rush those lines were long, Also no coffee in the room so you have to go down for coffee. But the excellent service and great location more Han compensated!

Room tip: Not sure if all rooms have a view of the Mississippi so that would be my tip
Date of stay: November 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
Ambassador825186, General Manager at Hu. Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 November 2018

Thank You so much for the kind words & giving us the opportunity to host you at the Hu.
Looking forward to seeing you again!
Best,
Martin

Reviewed 2 November 2018 via mobile

I stayed at the Hu. Hotel just 4 days after it opened - which I didn’t know til I was checking out. There are definitely still kinks to be worked out and I know more cosmetic enhancements forthcoming...but what impressed me the most was the staff. I did not meet a single person who didn’t say hello or ask how my day was. Everyone smiled and was super friendly. Unfortunately the staff do not wear name tags (yet?) so hard to call out individuals but I will call out a banquet server names Chardonnay (easy to remember) - i asked if there was a specific type of water available at a banquet dinner (and there wasn’t, no biggie) but out of the blue, she arrived with bottles of the specific type of water I requested. Wow, so thoughtful. I used to be in the hospitality business so I know, you can just be apathetic and do your job and thats it. Chardonnay and the rest of the banquet staff was so attentive and thoughtful.

The rooms are nice. Clean. A bit expected. Blonde wood, clean lines. Beds are nice and cozy. Rooms could use some more attention but they were more than adequate.

Apparently the premise of the hotel and the collection of hotels is hyper local - this wasn’t immediately apparent as there was no signage or anything that suggested that most of the products, amenities, etc are sourced locally. But I was told that was forthcoming.

The front desk is a bit odd. Small space. There is also an espresso machine right behind the front desk so upon arrival you’re not sure if you walked into a coffee shop or a check-in desk. I didn’t quite get it. However I did have several delicious coffees from said machine!

Josh worked the afternoon bar and he was great. Friendly and chatty. We tried a bespoke bottled cocktail - pretty good! Quite potent. I asked Josh how they tasted and he said he hadn’t tried them so I recommend you let your staff taste the products they are selling! (Such a cross to bear!)

And lastly...the view from the top floor, open-air bar space. Best in town. I hope once Spring returns that they really maximize that space - its so beautiful. It would make a great restaurant and bar. And could be a real $$ maker for private events. I included a pic of the view from the top!

I will definitely go back in a few months once the hotel has had some time to get its feet under them.

Trip type: Travelled on business
Reviewed 29 October 2018

The staff at the Hu are really great and try hard to make sure customers feel welcomed. The problem is it is October 2018 and the hotel is still under construction. No restaurant thus no room service. Small bar. Rooftop bar not opened. The rooms, though small, were nice. Good decorations. High bed. Slept well. The Frito chips at the bar in the room were priced at $5.00 but had the original price paid as $1.29. I think once construction is complete, This will be a great place but just close down and finish construction .

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple

On behalf of myself and the team, I sincerely apologize for for the service inconsistencies, product discrepancies as well as the construction delays that you experienced while visiting our hotel.
We are in the final stages of remodel and look forward to hosting you on your next visit.
Please feel free to contact me directly, mpittman@huhotelmemphis.com
Regards,
Hu. Hotel

Reviewed 23 October 2018

I had such high hopes for this hotel while in town for a wedding. The hotel is going through construction and rebranding, so we expected some upheaval. What we did not expect was the treatment from the staff which was poor from the start.

When we pulled up, construction related traffic was blocking the majority of the valet parking (understandable) and I was directed by an attendant to "hurry" and parallel park into a pretty tight spot. He ended up parking it for me because "I was struggling" and "needed this spot open" (literally what he said) . He rushed us to get our bags out of the car to the point that is was stressful. I find that pretty unacceptable. Not a great first impression.

The front desk appeared to have three people working but only one checking in with not a lot of space to put our bags. Never one acknowledgement, explanation or apology.

Later at the bar I overheard the bartender talking about not having enough of the wine I ordered but served me a small glass with no explanation, no offer to pour a different glass, nothing. Then he charged me full price. We only had uncaffeinated coffee in our room and getting regular coffee from the front desk was a major hassle so we ended up going to the Starbucks around the corner at 7 am. We did get an apology for no caffeine but it was pointed out to us that we could buy coffee at the bar downstairs.

The cleaning staff couldn't be nicer and the rooms were comfortable and clean. The hotel itself is nice and it's in a great area of town. But the rest of the service left us feeling like we were a source of major inconvenience rather than guests. Look, I get the stress of a major change and construction but what the management and staff can control is how they treat their guests. I'm sad to say I won't be back because I do think it has potential. But this place has some serious customer service issues.

• Trip type: Travelled with friends
Ambassador825186, General Manager at Hu. Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 October 2018

Thank you for taking the time to share the details of your experience.
On behalf of myself and the entire opening team here at Hu. Hotel, I do apologize for the service & physical inconsistencies you experienced on our 'opening' weekend. I assure you we have already begun to look into your feedback and correct as needed.

Should you find yourself in Memphis in the future we hope you will consider allowing us the opportunity to regain your confidence. Please reach out to me directly upon the booking of a future reservation so I may ensure you receive nothing short of a flawless experience.

Best,
mpittman@huhotelmemphis.com

Reviewed 21 October 2018 via mobile

Stayed here this weekend for a wedding and were pretty disappointed with the whole experience.

When we arrived, the valet process was very inefficient. Check in was on a folding table and there was no room to get out of the way of other guests coming in and out. We called several weeks prior to our visit and were assured that the construction would be complete. We had plans to meet the bride and groom at the rooftop bar that we were assured was finished and open, it was not. The overall customer service was lacking. There was one man who seemed to run the place maybe? And he was very very nice, when he was around the other staff was nicer. But nobody apologized or remotely acknowledged all the weird, unfinished, inconveniences that were happening. We had drinks at the bar and heard the bar tender discuss how he knew the glass of wine he poured my friend was too small. He served it to her anyway, so 3 oz for $10. This morning we listened to the staff talk about how annoyed they were with other guests as we waited for our car. If you’re looking for any amenities or service, room service, full bar, anything, you should 100% look elsewhere.

The rooms were nice and clean and the housekeeping staff was VERY nice and we really enjoyed seeing them around.

I hate to leave reviews that are critical, but for $200+/night for a standard room in Memphis, I would really expect a lot more attention to detail and much more interest in customer service. Maybe after the “rebranding” is finished it might be a better experience.

Date of stay: October 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Ambassador825186, General Manager at Hu. Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 October 2018

Sara,
On behalf of myself and the team, I sincerely apologize for for the service inconsistencies as well as the construction challenges that you experienced while visiting our hotel.
Please feel free to contact me directly, mpittman@huhotelmemphis.com