“With proper expectations, perfect...”

Econo Lodge Downtown Memphis
Ranked #91 of 136 Hotels in Memphis
SGF, MO
“With proper expectations, perfect...”
Reviewed 20 November 2011

Nothing irks me more than reviews complaining that their champagne tastes were not met by their beer budgets. Please, get your expectations in line with reality.
I gave the Econo Lodge five stars because it perfectly met - even exceeded - my expectations. After reading some reviews here, I pictured myself barricaded inside a filthy room protecting my wife from any number of menacing characters outside while mold grew over our bodies from the leaking fixtures. Nothing could have been further from the truth.
I have stayed at the Peabody and other downtown hotels many times but all I wanted was a cheap, clean, safe room in close proximity to Beale Street with covered parking so that we could spend a brief night before catching an early morning train. I received that and more for a third of the price of other downtown Memphis properties.
From the exterior, it is nothing architecturally stimulating. After all, it's a hotel atop a parking garage for goodness sake - a unique property actually. The lobby was small but clean. The desk staff was very friendly and as efficient as possible after dealing with the six clowns checking in ahead of me with bad attitudes and worse body odor. I discussed barbeque comparisons to the Rendezvous with the clerk and he suggested the Blues City Cafe on Beale at Second which turned out to be a great recommendation.
After the prompt check-in, we drove up the ramp and found a great parking spot on the second floor right near the elevators. We had absolutely no problems with, or fear of the elevators which carried us up to the ninth floor with no glitches whatsoever. We walked to our room passing the very nice pool and courtyard area. Had it been 30 degrees warmer, I would have been chin deep in its crystal blue waters with a bottle of suds enjoying myself to the maximum.
We inserted our card into the electronic lock and were greeted by an expansive room with decent furnishings, great climate control in spotless condition. The bathroom, though smallish, was impeccably clean with the tub/shower combo and toilet enclosed behind a door with the sink and vanity outside in the room - a typical motel configuration of no concern to us. There was a desk, lamp with electrical outlets, chair, entertainment center with a large CRT television with working remote, another seating area with table and a very comfortable king bed. And guess what? The sheets and comforter were clean and smelled like a spring day in an Irish garden.
We took one of the twin elevators back down to street level and walked the three short blocks to Beale Street. The area in between is much cleaner and safer than I remembered it years ago. Obviously, the city had taken note of it's previous condition and took action to make it safe. Judging by the activity in the area, other pedestrians felt the same way.
We encountered a few panhandlers but they were quite ingenious and pleasant in their approaches. One gave us a very thorough, interesting history of a renovated building and another sang a song for us. I was happy to provide them $1 each for both the information, entertainment and attitude - much cheaper than a tour guide or floor show.
The return to the hotel was uneventful and enjoyable after the large, wonderful meal on Beale and drinks at BB Kings. We watched a movie back at the room before retiring early. The television, though dated, worked perfectly, had more than adequate channel selection and the remote worked without a hiccup.
We awoke at 5 am the next morning refreshed, had immediate and very adequate hot water in the shower, and easily hauled our luggage down the elevator and back to our vehicle for our trip to the Amtrak station to catch our early train to New Orleans. Mission accomplished with complete and utter satisfaction.
The price we paid for this experience was extremely reasonable compared to the overpriced alternatives in the area, and the value was exceptional - well beyond my expectations. My only hesitation is in sharing this review fearing that the Econo Lodge will become so popular with others for a trip with similar needs that prices will increase and availability decrease.
For those complainers and doubters, please continue to rant and drive people away. For myself and others who appreciate purposeful value, please keep it a secret so this little gem will remain accessible for our needs.
I may even spend more than one night next trip...

Room Tip: A room not facing Third St will be quieter though the view will suffer unless you like staring at co...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
13 Thank ShowMeVegas

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
Flowood, MS
Reviewed 16 November 2011

Let me start by saying I am on a business trip, so although this hotel is located only a few blocks from Beale street, I am NOT here to party. I am actually working. So when some drunk tried to come in my room as I was getting ready for work, I did not appreciate it. I called security after I asked the guy to leave and he tried to tear my door off the hinges. Security informed me that this is a common problem here, because of the location to Beale. People get drunk, come back and can not remember their room number.
Other than that the hotel is fairly clean and I could tell my room was scrubbed good before I came in. I could even smell Comet in the tub, which made me feel a little better about the shady parking garage I had to park in.
I would say if you are a female and you are staying alone, pay extra to stay at one of the nicer hotels. It will make you feel more secure, trust me.
However, if you are traveling on a budget, this place is clean, roomy and close to everything. Oh, on a brighter note they do have Wi Fi.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank KathyJx
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 13 November 2011

The front desk employees were very pleasant and nice.
And the location was fantastic! A short walk to everything worth seeing.

The breakfast, however, ends really early - and it's great. Don't bother getting up for it. Also, our internet rarely worked, and the room definitely needs some updating.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank StiffNeckPauper
Reviewed 16 October 2011

My friend and I stayed two nights and were pleased with the overall experience. It is an inexpensive hotel, and the room reflected that. It was small, but tidy. The beds were very comfortable. The staff was friendly. The hotel was within walking distance of lots of great things downtown and close to the interstate too. Keep your expectations in check and you won't be disappointed! I will certainly stay here again.

• Stayed October 2011
2 Thank Thedriver22
bristol
Reviewed 25 September 2011

very tatty, nil security, staff would rather talk between themselves than to customers, breakfast a waste of space. Pay a little more and stay elsewhere, plenty of hotels close to Beale street etc.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
5 Thank stinchcombe99

Travellers are raving about these Memphis hotels