“Special Occasion spot”
Review of Restaurant Iris

Restaurant Iris
Reserve with OpenTable
Restaurant Iris is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #28 of 1,632 Restaurants in Memphis
Price range: US$31 - US$50
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Cooper
Description: Born and raised in Southern Louisiana, Chef Kelly English fell in love with the culture and food of New Orleans. Equipped with his training from award-winning Chef John Besh, English presents a unique dining experience. Restaurant Iris specializes in French-Creole cuisine featuring local and seasonal ingredients. English infuses his endless creativity and passion for food into each dish. Whether indulging in his Oysters three ways, a "Knuckle Sandwich", or a dessert made just for you, one is sure to reap the benefits of English"s rich culinary background. We invite you to experience Restaurant Iris, simplicity at its most elegant. Please note: Due to the limited capacity of our dining room, we offer limited online reservation availability. For more information regarding availability, please contact the restaurant directly.
Reviewed 7 November 2017

Took my wife to celebrate her "Birthday Month". Restaurant Iris has been on our Memphis list for several years. We had been to and enjoyed, Second Line next door.

Parking isn't one of their highlights, though we were able to find a legal spot on the street not too far. However, the neighborhood portion of the sidewalk is in shambles. That's not the restaurant's fault, but something to note. Perhaps Iris could invest in repaving it as a gesture to the community?

The service was spot on. Everything we needed or wanted was pleasantly and promptly taken care of. We did have to reserve an 8:15 as the earlier spots weren't available, but when were seated, all four tables in our room were empty, and we walked past several other empty tables. Perhaps the earlier guests finished earlier than expected. The food was delicious, and unlike many comparably priced places, the portions were more than satisfying. We ordered the toasted oysters as an app and they were light and crispy with great seasoning. She ordered the Braised Lamb Shank. She did have to add a touch of salt and pepper to it. We both really enjoyed the flavor, however, it wasn't really the right dish for her to have ordered. The pasta was fresh, but she doesn't typically eat carb-heavy foods. We should have paid closer attention to the description on the menu.

I ordered their signature surf-n-turf, which is a 14 oz. NYStrip with the toasted oysters on a bed of hash browns with two sauces, hollandaise and tangy. I subbed the oysters for shrimp, since we had those oysters for the app, but that was probably a mistake. I can imagine the dish being perfect as it was listed.

For dessert, we shared a caramel cheesecake which was uneventful, even though they were thoughtful enough to include a birthday candle. It tasted house-made, but was dry and not very caramel-y. The crust has an oddly wet texture for a graham crust. In summary, it was a wonderful evening.

Date of visit: March 2017

Reviewed 2 November 2017

This was our second visit to Iris. After finally getting a parking spot we walked to the restaurant for what we expected to be a really great meal. We had Farmers Squash, Teres Major, Surf and Turf, Bread Pudding, and drinks. The Farmers Squash was the highlight of the meal. I think I should know better than to order a mix of meats (the Surf and Turf). And the Bread Pudding was dry and lacked a lot of taste. Our service was ok... but our meal was just average. Perhaps it is the old adage... Expectation Often Brings Frustration.

Date of visit: October 2017
2  Thank IverJohnson
Reviewed 20 October 2017

I was in Memphis on business and decided to go off of a recommendation a friend had. This place was AMAZING!!!!! I am quite a foodie and it takes alot to wow me..but my server Candace was knowledgeable and sweet. I started out with the Lobster knuckle sandwich (but she made it a salad for me)...then I had the duck..OMG the duck was the best I ever had. The only thing I was mad about was that I was too full for the bread pudding dessert LOL...not a cheap place by any means..but worth it! I spent $72 (cocktail, app, entree).. Definitely a must!!

Date of visit: October 2017
Reviewed 8 October 2017 via mobile

Went here on a recommendation and LOVED it. Great food, great service. Lovely start to an anniversary celebration with my guy. The biscuits were the best I have ever had.

Date of visit: August 2017
Reviewed 30 September 2017

I made a reservation and advised of celebrating our anniversary. Our table was made special, even to a personalized message inside the menu. The chef visited our table and spent some time to get our opinions of his food. The ambiance was worth the event. The food was wonderful in its presentation and flavors.

The success in the visit was my wife was thrilled, impressed, and totally surprised and pleased. I'll take her there again, just because.

Date of visit: November 2016

Been to Restaurant Iris? Share your experiences!