“Excellent food and ambiance!”
Review of Restaurant Iris

Restaurant Iris
Reserve with OpenTable
Restaurant Iris is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #21 of 1,542 Restaurants in Memphis
Price range: US$31 - US$50
Good for: Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Cooper
Description: Born and raised in Southern Louisiana, Chef Kelly English fell in love with the culture and food of New Orleans. Equipped with his training from award-winning Chef John Besh, English presents a unique dining experience. Restaurant Iris specializes in French-Creole cuisine featuring local and seasonal ingredients. English infuses his endless creativity and passion for food into each dish. Whether indulging in his Oysters three ways, a "Knuckle Sandwich", or a dessert made just for you, one is sure to reap the benefits of English"s rich culinary background. We invite you to experience Restaurant Iris, simplicity at its most elegant. Please note: Due to the limited capacity of our dining room, we offer limited online reservation availability. For more information regarding availability, please contact the restaurant directly.
Reviewed 13 July 2017 via mobile

Went for our anniversary dinner and the place lived up to its excellent ratings and reviews. Comfortable seating with a cozy atmosphere and great food. Very friendly staff as well. We will most definitely visit again!

Reviewed 1 July 2017

Don't believe the hype just another restaurant pretending to be something it is not! Food was at best average. My wife ordered the scallops but was told they were sold out! She settled for the quail, which she rate just ok! I ordered the stuffed New York Strip "surf and turf"; it was served rare / medium rare. The quality of the cut was not prime but a off-cut or end cut; not what you would expect for $45. The oyster stuffing was soggy indicating the meal had been prepared in advance. How exactly do you confuse rare with medium well? Don't waste your money too many other superior restaurants in Memphis! It's time has come and gone!

Reviewed 13 June 2017

As you can see from previous reviews, we are huge fans of Kelly English and Iris, so this review is not about the consistently delicious food, but a recent lapse in the service. To start, I spoke with Matt when I made our special reservations and requested our favorite waitress. When we arrived, we were promptly seated and our waitress, Nevada arrived. Although she was not who we requested, no big deal, since we thought maybe the waitress we requested might be off or otherwise unavailable. After we ordered drinks, however, we were disappointed to see that the waitress we requested was there with available tables at her station. We spoke to her and advised her that we had requested her. She stated that she would check into our request. We recognized that she was in a difficult position and did not press the issue. In the interim, we proceeded to order from Nevada, who we found disingenuous, with her frequent references to us as “my lovelies…my darlings”, etc. Her lack of sincerity was accompanied by an air of haughtiness that we found off putting. Later, the waitress we requested stopped by to make sure everything was ok and stated that our request was not noted in the reservation book (that’s on Matt since he was who I made the request to). Nonetheless, not having our request noted, combined with the off putting Nevada, made for a rather unpleasant atmosphere.

If it weren’t for the food, drinks (thank you Caleb!), and that fact that service has previously been great, this visit would deter us from returning. However, since it is Kelly English and we know they have other great servers, we’ll try again, but never with Nevada and now I will feel the need to always double check our requests with Matt since I know he is not 100% responsible, and I suggest you do the same.

Reviewed 24 May 2017

On our last night in Memphis, we had an excellent dinner at Iris, about a ten minute drive from downtown. Our server asked where we were from and what brought us to Memphis. My girlfriend told her that we had visited Graceland, Sun Records and the Civil Rights Museum, but that we were also going to Little Rock and Bentonville, Arkansas, which would be her 50th state visited. After dinner, our server brought a dessert menu, and said we could have a free dessert in honor of my girlfriend's 50th state. We shared sticky toffee pudding, with a scoop of vanilla ice cream, and caramel sauce. It was excellent, a fitting culmination to a delicious meal.

1  Thank William N
Reviewed 2 May 2017

Great food. Great service. We had been to Second Line a lot, but never here. Would recommend for a special occasion. Was upscale, but not stuffy. I am a vegetarian and there was nothing on the menu really. I let the server know, and they created a great dish for me!

Been to Restaurant Iris? Share your experiences!