“Beautiful the way History Has been laid out!”

National Civil Rights Museum - Lorraine Motel
Ranked #2 of 120 things to do in Memphis
More attraction details
Owner description: At the place of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.'S death in 1968 in Memphis, TN, the National Civil Rights Museum is a renowned educational and cultural institution. The Museum chronicles the American Civil Rights Movement with compelling presentations of iconic exhibits, oral histories of lesser-known civil rights foot soldiers, and visceral, in-the-moment experiences. Visitors will learn through emotionally charged, multi-user, multi-touch interactives, and a visually engaging, contemporary exhibit design that guides you through five centuries of history. Bring the whole family.
Reviewed 20 September 2018

Some of the exhibits are breath-taking others make you cry, but they are all very well put together. I love history and This museum is one you must see and take your children and grands!

Date of experience: September 2018
Write a ReviewReviews (7,708)
All reviews
in 119 reviews
"eye opening"
in 91 reviews

Reviewed 19 September 2018 via mobile

Moving, Comprehensive and educational museum on the site of Martin Luther King, Jr’s assassination.

We must learn from our history.

Date of experience: July 2018
Reviewed 19 September 2018

Strange to review such place as an "attraction". It is definately a place that everybody should visit. We spent over 3 hours there learning about the civil rights movement, from the beginning of slavery to the current day. I've had tears in my eyes quite few times. I have learnt so many new facts, it should certainly be part of any curriculum.

1  Thank Dot_and_Andy
Reviewed 18 September 2018

As most people know, the Lorraine Motel was the place where James Earl Ray assassinated Dr. Martin Luther King on April 4, 1968, while he was standing on the balcony of the hotel. It was very moving to be standing in the place where that dark bit of history took place. The building is now the National Civil Rights Museum. On the day we visited, we were part of a City tour, and could only spend a short time there. But it was enough to get a sense of what happened all those years ago.
Because this website has a limit on recording a date for this trip, we actually visited in September of 2017

Date of experience: October 2017
See more reviews
Reviewed 18 September 2018 via mobile

I absolutely love museums. It is one of the first things I look for when visiting a new place. When I saw this museums was here, it was the first thing I did after checking in. The museum was amazing. It took about 2-3 hours to walk through. I throughly enjoyed it. I didn’t have enough time to visit the other side, but I will definitely go back soon. It was so educational.