“Excellent Museum - Must see”

National Civil Rights Museum - Lorraine Motel
Ranked #2 of 117 things to do in Memphis
More attraction details
Owner description: At the place of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.'S death in 1968 in Memphis, TN, the National Civil Rights Museum is a renowned educational and cultural institution. The Museum chronicles the American Civil Rights Movement with compelling presentations of iconic exhibits, oral histories of lesser-known civil rights foot soldiers, and visceral, in-the-moment experiences. Visitors will learn through emotionally charged, multi-user, multi-touch interactives, and a visually engaging, contemporary exhibit design that guides you through five centuries of history. Bring the whole family.
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Moving, Comprehensive and educational museum on the site of Martin Luther King, Jr’s assassination.

We must learn from our history.

Write a ReviewReviews (7,558)
All reviews
in 114 reviews
"eye opening"
in 83 reviews

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Strange to review such place as an "attraction". It is definately a place that everybody should visit. We spent over 3 hours there learning about the civil rights movement, from the beginning of slavery to the current day. I've had tears in my eyes quite few times. I have learnt so many new facts, it should certainly be part of any curriculum.

1  Thank Dot_and_Andy
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

As most people know, the Lorraine Motel was the place where James Earl Ray assassinated Dr. Martin Luther King on April 4, 1968, while he was standing on the balcony of the hotel. It was very moving to be standing in the place where that dark bit of history took place. The building is now the National Civil Rights Museum. On the day we visited, we were part of a City tour, and could only spend a short time there. But it was enough to get a sense of what happened all those years ago.
Because this website has a limit on recording a date for this trip, we actually visited in September of 2017

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

I absolutely love museums. It is one of the first things I look for when visiting a new place. When I saw this museums was here, it was the first thing I did after checking in. The museum was amazing. It took about 2-3 hours to walk through. I throughly enjoyed it. I didn’t have enough time to visit the other side, but I will definitely go back soon. It was so educational.