All reviews coaching inn the general manager poster bed amuse bouche superior room steak received a very warm welcome sourdough bread ice cream high standard front of house main course one night stay cooked to perfection a wee bit salmon scrambled eggs
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I booked an evening here very last minute during the first week of the Summer Holidays so late June, early July 2018. I had taken my kids up to the Sealife Sanctuary near Oban and we had such a lovely day we decided to find somewhere to stay. The owner, Christine, was such a wonderful woman! She upgraded us to a bigger suite because it was empty and we arrived so late in the day, free of charge. She paid such kind attention to me and the boys and made us feel like we were at home! That's such a rare quality in a hotel manager!!

The room was stunning, the bathroom was perfect, small but all we needed, such a great shower! The bed was fantastic and I had the best sleep of my life! She provided an additional day bed and a very cool sleeping bag (which of course the boys fought over lol) even though the bed was large enough for all of us to sleep together comfortably if need be.

In the morning we found the 'colouring fairy' had been; crayons and colouring sheets were left outside our bedroom door!

But breakfast was where Christine really outdid herself. I mentioned that my youngest has bad eczema and we are attempting to go dairy free to see if it helps his condition. She was off to the kitchen and back in a flash with dairy free milk, cheese and yogurt for him to try (she even brought little breadsticks and a soft cheese suggesting it as an alternative to dairylea dunkers!) and Aidan loved them. We now actually buy the products she brought out for him to try.

Christine is just a lovely human being who takes the time to really get to know her guests and not only make them feel welcome, but special.

I am so grateful we decided to stay that night, it will be a visit we will always remember fondly and she even took some photos for us to treasure. I never write reviews for anything but Christine's amazing customer service deserves to be celebrated.

If you get the chance, stay. You won't be disapointed.

Room Tip: I'm willing to bet they are all great.
  • Stayed: July 2018, travelled with family
ChristineR3942, General Manager at The Taynuilt Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 1 week ago

Aw, thanks, Katrina! That brought a tear to my eye! So pleased you enjoyed your stay here.

I am so glad that Aidan is still eating the cheese he tried! The kids were so sweet and it was a pleasure to look after you.

Keep enjoying the adventures! x

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Looking for a quiet and secluded place, we booked this guest house. We were not disappointed. Christine, the receptionist, cook and guide made a point to contact us before we arrived. She greeted us warmly when we checked in. The inn is old and has the character associated with that. That said, upgrades have been made without altering the historical essence. Our room was large and comfy, as was the bathroom. Christine answered our questions about the local vegetation, recommended local restaurants and served a nice continental breakfast the next morning. Finally, she gave us directions back to Glasgow that took us through beautiful and historic scenery.

Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank rlcsatx

So glad you enjoyed your stay. Also please that you enjoyed the route I recommended!

Lovely to have met you both xx

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We have stayed multiple times at the Taynuilt Guest House, and at every arrival we have been greeted by very friendly staff, who have been very accommodating, keen to assist with local information. The facilities are in keeping with a traditional character property that has been modernised in a tasteful manner, without detriment to the history of the property. Each of the rooms we have occupied (over several visits (Double and Twin)) have been of a good quality, clean and well presented. The beds have been comfortable and room facilities in keeping with a business that wishes to retain repeat custom.

• Stayed: September 2018, travelled with family

Glad you enjoyed your stay here and appreciate the traditional element of the Guest House.

Reviewed 9 September 2018

We were made very welcome by the manager, Christine, and enjoyed a 2 night stay in a large comfortable room with a modern and well equipped bathroom. The continental breakfast was excellent and substantial and set us up for exploring the local area. Christine was particularly helpful in suggesting interesting places and gardens to visit locally. We would certainly stay again.

Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 August 2018

Being unable to book three consecutive nights in Oban I searched around the reviews for local village accommodation and booked this one based on the reviews. I was in the Loch Ness room that certainly was not a monster but was large enough with a comfortable bed and not too much noise from the road although, that said, I am hard of hearing. The main gripe I have is with the bathroom that does not have a window or an extractor so once you have showered you have a room full of steam and condensation that is an absolute pest when trying to shave. Leaving the bathroom door open is not an alternative as obviously the room steams up and the windows condensate. Apart from this the cold water tap is shoogly (loose) and the hot water takes an age to reach the room. The miniature TV has Freesat that works when the weather is OK but do not expect any BBC channels. Thankfully Christine managed to find me some DVD's that kept me amused at night.
The continental breakfast is acceptable but as a previous reviewer has said, I would prefer to make my own selections rather than having it handed to me on a plate although Christine's explanation for this makes a lot of sense. The coffee is without doubt the best I have ever had in any hotel or guest house in Argyll.
I probably have become too used to staying in 4* guest houses in Oban at a much reduced rate from the £75 per night that I paid here but, as Taynuilt does not have anywhere to dine at night, there is the added bonus of using the excellent bistro at Brander Lodge two miles up the Glasgow road at the start of the Pass of Brander.
I would probably stay again if I ever encounter the same accommodation problems in Oban again.

• Stayed: August 2018, travelled on business

Well, I think that's a pretty good review all being said! The TV in your room is now fixed, as is the tap.

Very pleased you enjoyed your coffee - as a practicing Barista, its important to me that your coffee is good and this blend certainly seems to appeal to most guests!

Lets hope that Oban is full the next time you visit and you are more satisfied with the room we allocate to you.