All reviews coaching inn amuse bouche poster bed received a very warm welcome continental breakfast sourdough bread ice cream high standard first class room was large generous portions porridge one night stay the main road salmon main course a wee bit
Reviewed 14 September 2018

We have stayed multiple times at the Taynuilt Guest House, and at every arrival we have been greeted by very friendly staff, who have been very accommodating, keen to assist with local information. The facilities are in keeping with a traditional character property that has been modernised in a tasteful manner, without detriment to the history of the property. Each of the rooms we have occupied (over several visits (Double and Twin)) have been of a good quality, clean and well presented. The beds have been comfortable and room facilities in keeping with a business that wishes to retain repeat custom.

Date of stay: September 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
ChristineR3942, General Manager at The Taynuilt Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 5 October 2018

Glad you enjoyed your stay here and appreciate the traditional element of the Guest House.

Reviewed 9 September 2018

We were made very welcome by the manager, Christine, and enjoyed a 2 night stay in a large comfortable room with a modern and well equipped bathroom. The continental breakfast was excellent and substantial and set us up for exploring the local area. Christine was particularly helpful in suggesting interesting places and gardens to visit locally. We would certainly stay again.

Date of stay: September 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 August 2018

Being unable to book three consecutive nights in Oban I searched around the reviews for local village accommodation and booked this one based on the reviews. I was in the Loch Ness room that certainly was not a monster but was large enough with a comfortable bed and not too much noise from the road although, that said, I am hard of hearing. The main gripe I have is with the bathroom that does not have a window or an extractor so once you have showered you have a room full of steam and condensation that is an absolute pest when trying to shave. Leaving the bathroom door open is not an alternative as obviously the room steams up and the windows condensate. Apart from this the cold water tap is shoogly (loose) and the hot water takes an age to reach the room. The miniature TV has Freesat that works when the weather is OK but do not expect any BBC channels. Thankfully Christine managed to find me some DVD's that kept me amused at night.
The continental breakfast is acceptable but as a previous reviewer has said, I would prefer to make my own selections rather than having it handed to me on a plate although Christine's explanation for this makes a lot of sense. The coffee is without doubt the best I have ever had in any hotel or guest house in Argyll.
I probably have become too used to staying in 4* guest houses in Oban at a much reduced rate from the £75 per night that I paid here but, as Taynuilt does not have anywhere to dine at night, there is the added bonus of using the excellent bistro at Brander Lodge two miles up the Glasgow road at the start of the Pass of Brander.
I would probably stay again if I ever encounter the same accommodation problems in Oban again.

• Trip type: Travelled on business

Well, I think that's a pretty good review all being said! The TV in your room is now fixed, as is the tap.

Very pleased you enjoyed your coffee - as a practicing Barista, its important to me that your coffee is good and this blend certainly seems to appeal to most guests!

Lets hope that Oban is full the next time you visit and you are more satisfied with the room we allocate to you.

Reviewed 31 August 2018

I was attending a wedding at close by hotel. The room had everything I required and was very clean. I enjoyed a restful night. There was a good choice in the continental breakfast. Christine was made me very welcome and was extremely helpful during my stay. Thank you.

• Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 August 2018 via mobile

First impression of the property we were not sure what to make of the property. The ruin to the side of the house although of relevance to the main property (after we had enquired) appeared neglected; it would of been nice to have had some information regarding the building and the future of it so that the impression of lack of maintenance was overlooked. The main building and rooms was cold when we first arrived although the heating did kick in later on and temperature remained okay for the rest of the stay. We had rooms 5 and 9 and both rooms were clean, well presented and beds were comfy; room 5 had no toilet roll holder and both rooms had a shelving unit fixed above the sink which meant brushing teeth was a wee bit difficult. The rooms also did not have plug sockets near a mirror which made styling my hair a challenge. Breakfast was from 8am but at 8am the doors were still locked and there was a slight delay in getting set up - despite this breakfast was very filling; tea, juices, cereals, toast, cheese and meats. Personally I would have preferred a toaster to enable me to do my own toast and have the meats and cheese freely available to stop the wastage from too much stuff being brought to our tables (I hate to see waste).

Trip type: Travelled with family
Christine R, General Manager at The Taynuilt Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2018

Thanks for your feedback. As we are a 16th century coaching inn, and a listed building, it is difficult and expensive to do too much to alter the electrics etc in order to suit modern needs.

Sorry about the slight delay in opening up in the morning, there's a lot for one person to do! Glad that you enjoyed your breakfast! Your suggestions are great and we hope to do these going forward but buying it is expensive to buy suitable cold plates to store the cold meat and cheese, so that we comply with food safety regulations, so we prefer to keep them in the fridge until they are order. Doing your own toast would make us a bit like a Travel Lodge, and we feel that we would prefer some customer contact!

Do hope that you'll visit us again!