“At Last !”

The Blackbird Bistro
Ranked #1 of 4 Restaurants in Bunessan
Reviewed 1 October 2017

We have been trying to visit this place for two years, one thing or another conspired to stop us....finally we got to visit last week. It was well worth the wait ! Beautiful soup starter and haggis and black pudding fritters to die for. The mains were also superb.....sea bass for my husband and chicken for me and my son. The dauphinoise potatoes were perfect as was the mushroom sauce . We just about managed puddings, very chocolatey fudge cake and yummy waffles with bananas and 'tablet' ice cream. I hope we manage to get back there next year !

Reviewed 1 October 2017 via mobile

Stopped for quick lunch. Slow service as waitress chatted to a friend before serving us. Food ok though nothing special. Advertise lunch till 3 but someone came at 2.20 and asked if they were still serving. The answer was a blunt no! The lack of friendly welcome was much as we came to expect during our week unless expats were involved.

Reviewed 18 September 2017

Good local food and friendly staff but our table near the door was not ideal as we got a cold draught each time the door opened. Note, you need to book, bring your own alcohol and cash only.

Reviewed 3 September 2017

It was great to find this wee place, as there doesn't seem to be a lot of eateries in the south of Mull, but only accepting cash isn't great, so we had to find all our spare pound coins and 20p pieces that we keep for emergencies in the car, but eventually we had enough to get basic food for us both. I had soup and fries, the soup was really gorgeous and filling, and it was a decent portion of tasty chips. I'd definitely go back and that time, have enough money with me to try out one of their other dishes.

Reviewed 31 August 2017

We had an excellent meal in this lovely restaurant. Starters of mussels, squat lobster and haggis and black pudding fritters were all delicious. The fritters with onion marmelade were one of the best starters I have eaten. The seafood cassoulet was also delicious. Very efficient service and friendly explanations of things on the menu that we didn't understand. Not licensed so you bring your own booze but did think £3.50 per person corkage was a little steep - £7 to borrow two glasses for an hour or two seemed a bit excessive but didn't spoil a really lovely evening. Do hope they are successful with this business - there are very few places to eat in this part of Mull and to find somewhere this good was a real treat.