All reviewscross keysgastro pubatmospheric barsteak pielog fireitison deallocal walkssticky toffee puddingsmoked fishdelicious mealgreat base for exploringhand cut chipsgreat nightsmall hotelexcellent facilitiesmain coursebed was very comfortable
Reviewed 31 January 2016

We stayed at the Cross Keys for one night and dined in the restaurant.

The staff who worked here were excellent. We had 2 dogs with us and they made us and the dogs, feel very welcome.

Rooms were fine, well appointed and clean and beds were comfortable although the carpets could do with a good clean or perhaps replacing.

Dinner was good, the cauliflower soup was excellent, my sisters venison burger was good, the veggie option was fine but it was definately exclipsed by the amazing soup. Breakfast however was a bit poor. I am veggie therefore the egg, crispy potato scone and mushrooms were not the most exiting breakfast I have ever had. The portion was a bit scant therefore I am sure they could do a bit more on this front.The condiments on the table, in particular the sugar bowls needed a bit of attention on the hygeine front!!! They were a bit off putting.

The staff were lovely, really excellent and really make the place however we did find the manager a bit frosty and a little unwelcoming.

I would return however thought £80 for the double occupancy room and £55 for the single occupdancy room plus, a £10 supplement for each of the dogswas a wee bit steep for what we got. That said, if I happened to come upon a good deal through Groupon or It Is On, I would consider returning but only for an overnight.

Stayed: January 2016
Reviewed 28 January 2016 via mobile

We decided to have a wee night away in January, and alighted on the Cross Keys in Kippen. What a great place to stay. We were shown to our room by Craig who showed us around and explained everything. We had the double room which was clean and stylish, with views over Flanders Moss to the mountains beyond. The bed was super comfy. Our dinner was fantastic. They just started doing Scottish Tapas. Try the chicken livers!!!!!!!. It also combines a great traditional and bar menu. The deserts are very, very good. The eating area is in a cosy, log fired bar,buzzing with locals and the staff very friendly. All in all a very relaxing night away in a traditional inn dating back
to 1703, with excellent, thoughtful meals. We will be back. You should try it, even just for lunch, or dinner

Stayed: January 2016, travelled as a couple
2  Thank KSAN
Reviewed 11 January 2016

Last week I stayed at The Cross Keys for three nights, in search of some post-Christmas peace and quiet. The hospitality offered by the staff of The Cross Keys was second to none; the room was basic but comfortable, and the food and drink of a very high quality. Midday and evening meals seemed to attract a happy mixture of locals and visitors, and the beers on tap are brewed locally to Kippen at the Fallen Brewery. Hearty breakfast, and a lovely location. Would heartily recommend.

• Stayed: January 2016, travelled with friends
2  Thank Richard N
Reviewed 21 December 2015 via mobile

My wife and I turned up at the Cross Keys on a Sunday afternoon without booking only to find the place full to bursting with a group of 45 having a Christmas lunch.
We were still made to feel welcome and finding was no problem to the staff who bent over backwards to produce an amazing pub lunch.
I had venison croquettes to start with followed by a salmon & halibut stew fantastic.
They also have a good range of real ales.

Stayed: December 2015, travelled as a couple
1  Thank kevin n
Reviewed 23 November 2015 via mobile

4 of us had linch in bar area. Very welcoming homely surroundings. Staff very attentative and pleasant. 2 of us had stovies which were really tasty and 2 had bangers and mash again tasty..coice of large or small. My sister in law and i had a lovely chocolate and hazlenut tart. Definatley go back but this time for dinner. Thank you for the great service and food.

Stayed: November 2015, travelled with family