“Worst meal ever in Scotland”

The Bothy Restaurant and Bar
Cuisines: Scottish
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed 18 January 2018

We went with my friends to this restaurant for lunch. We were very disappointed because the people working there are very very very unfriendly. They don't smile at all. The guy at the bar looks like an actor in a horror movie and both waitresses should find another job! I don't recommend you to go there and spend your money somewhere else.

5  Thank Olibintang
Write a ReviewReviews (1,235)

Reviewed 15 January 2018

The food was good, our waiter was very helpful (thankfully we didn't get the grumpy young lady, who spent more time on her phone that paying customers attention). There are not many choices for food in Fort Augustus - but we enjoyed this.

Reviewed 4 January 2018 via mobile

A pub in a very convenient location, especially for all the tourist buses that pass by Fort Augustus. The lunch arrived quickly and was alright, a bit pricey though for what it’s offering and for the advertisement it receives. Overall, this place is recommended if you are having a quick lunch break, as it’s really quick in serving food, however if you have more time, you could possibly explore further options.

Reviewed 30 December 2017

The food was very good and it was very quick arriving. The portions were generous too. We had fish and chips: large chunk of haddock in very crispy batter and there was no excess grease - very well made chips too. The garnish was a well-prepared mini salad. We also had the special of chicken and haggis with whisky sauce - again, very good. They have a good pudding menu and the bread and butter pudding with custard was great - a nice helping and really well flavoured with nutmeg. We ate on a busy weekend and the restaurant was packed but the food still arrived very quickly and piping hot. I notice that there are some poor reviews in which the reviewers are critical of some of the staff. I think the restaurant probably gets very busy at peak points with bus loads of tourists who have limited time and in trying to keep up with demand some of the niceties get sidelined. It's a shame, because the food and speed of service are really good. It does seem that the restaurant set-up puts them at a disadvantage: all the orders are taken by the senior staff member while the junior staff wait to be told what to do by her. Meanwhile, it seems that all drinks and bills are handled by the bar staff. This appears to be very inefficient and results in the senior staff member having to run hither and yon taking orders and punching them into the machine while the two junior staff members wait to be used. I'm guessing that this leads to the negative reviews which describe the curt demeanour of the overworked senior person. Maybe some delegation might help? Maybe allow the juniors to take orders and ring up the till? I would love to give five stars because it is a really good place to eat and I would go back there tomorrow. Maybe a tweak of the logistics at busy periods?

Reviewed 17 December 2017

I came here myself in a weekday lunch along with other tourists. The service here is definitely unwelcoming. No smile and I felt like I was troubling the waitress by asking her to take my order. Although the food came out quite fast and I enjoyed the Haggis starter, I wouldn't come back here again.

2  Thank FionaN809