Lowest prices for your stay
Hotels.com
SAVE US$29
eDreams
Travelocity
PricelineUS$369
All reviews breakfast was included dining room lovely hotel superb location the general manager breakfast and dinner first class fish and chips both nights each evening town centre poached eggs black pudding warm welcome tee golf courses
Selected filters
Reviewed 21 October 2020 via mobile

We stayed here for one night on our NC500 trip. On arrival, we had our temperature taken by the staff and all being fine, were allowed to enter. Our room was along a corridor and up the stairs on the first floor. The room was fine and the bed was comfortable. The bathroom had a lovely large shower. I realise it’s an old hotel but it definitely needs a facelift especially around the communal areas, walls etc. We decided to have dinner in the hotel but unfortunately hubby’s choice was not good. He chose the venison casserole which we would have expected to be tender, but unfortunately it was not so he asked them to replace with another meal. The young waiter said he would take it to the kitchen to ‘check’! Overall the stay was acceptable for one night.

Date of stay: October 2020
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
2  Thank Gemini16
Reviewed 25 September 2020 via mobile

We had a lovely friendly welcome into the hotel and had a couple of drinks in the bar area which was lovely. Our room however was down a really tiny corridor along from the kitchen which meant we kept bumping into staff with no social distancing. Our room wasn’t overly clean (hairs in shower tray and gritty), paint was peeling off the wall etc and just looked generally tired. Getting past that, the toilet flushed by itself all night, the light shines heavily under the door so we put a towel down to stop this. There was also a lot of noise from staff and the kitchen so overall not a good sleep in this room.

Date of stay: September 2020
Robert Ratcliffe, General Manager at Royal Golf Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 October 2020

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review. I am pleased that were offered our usual warm highland welcome and enjoyed drinks in the bar. I am very sorry however if you felt your bedroom was not to your expectations. For the benefit of the tripadvisor community, I should just like to clarify a couple of points. The corridor to which you are referring is just over one metre wide which is not too narrow. This is an old building so inevitably a few areas are smaller than others. Most guests would say it gives the hotel character. Social distancing in a confined space or narrowish corridor is difficult and the mutual responsibility of both parties. The corridor then leads to the West Wing which comprises four bedrooms which I hasten to add are earmarked for a total refurbishment this winter including new carpets which ought to prevent the light shining in under the door!
During these unusual times the restaurant closes at 8.45 pm and the bar at 10 pm so normally staff have left the building by 10.30 pm. I will however remind the team to be mindful of the bedroom in question.
I have to say though, it would have been constructive if you had pointed out these shortcomings whilst you were staying with us to give me an opportunity to put things right. Thank you again for your feedback.

Reviewed 20 September 2020

We stayed at the Royal Dornoch Hotel for one night on a family trip. Everything absolutely excellent. I had a great room (Ross Suite) with the most fantastic views over Royal Dornoch Golf Course and the beach. Fantastic! Friendly welcome on arrival. Room spotlessly clean and COVID-19 rules observed. Bar staff friendly and good service. The restaurant is 1st class - nice menu, lots of choice and meals freshly prepared at dinner & breakfast. Staff friendly and efficient. All first class and certainly highly recommended. Thank you to the hotel team.

2  Thank Charlie59_11
Robert Ratcliffe, General Manager at Royal Golf Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 September 2020

Dear Charlie,

Many thanks for taking the time out to review your recent stay at The Royal Golf Hotel. I hope you enjoyed your family trip. I am thrilled that you had such a wonderful stay and that we appear to have met (and hopefully exceeded) all your expectations. The team will be delighted and will take enormous encouragement, especially during these challenging times.
I do hope you will visit us again at some point in the future.

Reviewed 20 September 2020 via mobile

Visited the hotel over Friday and Saturday 18th and 19th. There was six of us and hotel staff were great and when we went to the bar the manager asked us to sit at separate tables so we would be adhering to covid guide lines. We noticed this woman who walked by and gave our group a very disparaging look and then she left a very bad review on this site stating that the hotel did not follow guidelines. This type of review can be very destructive in this environment as the hotel and its staff are trying their best to let patrons have a pleasant stay at the same time trying to keep patrons safe. If Mairi H does not feel safe coming out of her house and mixing with other people without leaving this type of review then she should stay in and be a keyboard warrior from the safety of her computer room.

The staff were excellent and friendly and I would recommend anyone to visit.

Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank O787BTmarkh

Dear Mark,

Many thanks for your kind review following your weekend stay with your five golfing friends. I am delighted that you enjoyed your visit to Dornoch, you certainly had fine weather which is a plus at any time but especially when golfing. I will pass on your comments to the team and hope we will have an opportunity to welcome you back in the not too distant future when hopefully the current situation will have improved.

Reviewed 18 September 2020 via mobile

Hotel good, food good / BUT - covid restrictions and rules should have been written on toilet paper as staff let patrons totally ignore the rules and it made us feel quite uncomfortable that we left the restaurant early - a member of staff heard us talk about it whilst leaving and said “the manager is in the bar if you want to talk to him” that made it all the more shocking as there was a large group of at least 10 in the bar all meeting and sitting together so the fact the a manager was in the bar but nothing was said or done about it makes it worse ! In these times we have to adhere by the rules, they are in place for not just patrons safety but the hotels staff safety also. We were give the attached letter on arrival but I feel this is just for show ! (Hopefully the letter is shown)

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
2  Thank Mexico1607
Robert Ratcliffe, General Manager at Royal Golf Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 September 2020

Dear Mhari,

Thank you for posting your review following your recent stay at the Royal Golf Hotel. Firstly I am pleased that you enjoyed the food and the hotel in general.
We spoke upon your departure regarding your comments and review which was posted whilst you were still staying with us so I had the opportunity to discuss the contents with you in person which was good. I pointed out that the group in question in the bar consisted of 6 x persons (not 10 as you stated) seated on 3 sofas at least 1 meter apart. These are challenging times as I said to you on Saturday morning especially when party sizes are greater than two, and we are working very hard to adhere to the government guidelines. I have to say that I firmly believe we are succeeding and previous and recent guest reviews would support this.
I regret if you felt disappointed in any way but would hasten to reassure you that our main priority during these times is the health and safety of my guests and staff and I will continually work tirelessly to maintain this position.
Thank you again for speaking to me and I do hope that we may have an opportunity to welcome you both back to the hotel and Dornoch when the situation is more 'normal'.
For clarification, I enclose below the full version of our welcome letter which every guest receives upon arrival.

"Welcome to the Royal Golf Hotel and Apartments

In line with guidance from the Scottish government and industry bodies, we have introduced a series of new protocols and processes to ensure the continued safety of our guests and staff.

The wearing of face masks when moving around the hotel public areas is now mandatory.
When using corridors please keep to the left where possible.
We would ask all residents to use the bathroom facilities in their rooms, where possible, rather than the public facilities downstairs.
CHECK-IN
• We ask that completed guest registration forms are folded and placed in the basket on reception. The clear folder can be left in your room.
• Once you have checked in to your room, your room cannot be changed.
• During your stay please keep your key with you during your stay, and upon departure please place it in the basket on reception.

DINNER / BREAKFAST
• Dinner and breakfast times must be pre-booked to enable us to effectively manage and control the flow of guests into the restaurant during mealtimes. You can do this with reception or in the bar.
• It is now mandatory that we are only able to seat up to 6 people from 2 households on 1 table. If your party falls outwith these stipulations we will accommodate your party on more than 1 table.
• Tables are spaced to allow for social distancing.

HOUSEKEEPING
• Soft furnishings and high touch points have been removed from your room where possible. This includes cushions, throws, bedroom literature, alarm clocks, hairdryers, and iron and ironing boards. If you require any of these items please contact reception. Additional items such as fresh towels, tea, and coffee sachets, etc can also be requested from reception.
• Housekeeping will not enter your room during your stay unless asked to do so.

CHECK-OUT
• Check-out by 11 am. No late check-outs will be available.

If you, or a member of your party, develop symptoms during your stay and a test confirms infection please let us know and leave the hotel immediately so that we can take the necessary steps to deep clean the bedroom.

Hotel Manager"