“Sheer decadence”

Mar Hall Golf & Spa Resort
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Bishopton
Reviewed 22 February 2012

I have stayed at Mar Hall several times and must confess it keeps getting better. We arrived before the 4p.m. check in but to our surprise and delight our junior suite was ready with a spectacular view of the gardens, round which we had a leisurely walk during the day. After some excellent pre dinner cocktails we had a memorable dinner before retiring to the sumptuous grand hall where we enjoyed drinks accompanied by an excellent and very audience interactive pianist. We the retired to watch a complementary DVD in our room. The next day we overindulged on our breakfast before enjoying a leisurely couple of hours in the Spa, for which guests have complementary all day membership after checkout. Many thanks to Restaurant Manager Laurent and the rest of the team at Mar for their excellent attention to our needs.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
MarHallGolfandSpa, Manager at Mar Hall Golf & Spa Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 21 April 2012

Dear Mr McC,

Thank you very much for your contribution. We are thrilled to read you had a great time wiht us on the resort and we look forward to welcoming you again soon.

LA - Hotel Manager

There are newer reviews for Mar Hall Golf & Spa Resort

Reviewed 22 February 2012

Visited the Spa for a 'day' treat. I love Aveda and was super excited! The treatment was wonderful, facial with neck and foot massage (my friend who had the same treatment didnt get as good a massage as me though) and the Therapists were lovely. Can't fault that!

However, the overall experience was really disappointing. The pool area was a very 'run of the mill' hotel pool, only one steam room and one sauna were operating which would have been fine had the place not been over-run by children. Any possible relaxation was spoiled by children running around the pool, throwing cups of water, bombing in the pool and going between the steam room and sauna. The noise was dreadful and you couldnt even swim a length without having to avoid children jumping in and diving around you.

We gave up and went to the 'relaxation room' but unfortunately as it is small and there were not enough beds or chairs for the people waiting for treatments. We finally got chairs but then any relaxation is halted by people being shown where the room is and walking through with loud shoes!

You are asked when you want lunch when you arrive. We arrived at the cafe at our specified time to be told there were no seats so we would have to wait. We were served about 15 mins after our specified time. To be honest I would not have minded about this but by this time i was hungry and just wanted to leave.

If you like Aveda then the treatments are great but as for a 'destination spa', it just does not hit the mark. We were going to book for a group later in the year as a pre-wedding treat but will now not be as the experience was so poor. I am disappointed to have to say it was disappointing :(.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank bibyf
MarHallGolfandSpa, Manager at Mar Hall Golf & Spa Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 27 February 2012

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your review.
It is very disappointing for us to read our guests did not enjoy their entire experience with us. Whilst sometimes, the spa and leisure club can be busy, they are usually a rather quiet place to relax and read your favorite magazine before or after a treatment.
We are really sorry your experience was not to your satisfaction and thank you once again for your feedback.

LA - operations Manager

Reviewed 21 February 2012

Really lovely stay with extended family. The staff could not be more helpful and the whole experience was relaxed and enjoyable. Would highly recommend Mar Hall

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 February 2012

THis is a great place to have afternoon tea. THe food is great and very fresh you are well looked after by the staff and the hotel itself is wonderfull. I have in the past stayed overnight at the hotel and found to to be very relaxing and clean. The food in the restauranmt was also great. Soi things have not changed. I have had afternoon tea in this hotel 3 times now and have not been disappointed yet. would recomend it to everyone even just to try. They even had a pianist who played throughout the afternoon..

Dear Sir,

Thank you very much for sharing your recent afternoon tea experience.
We are delighted to read that once again, you had a great time with us on the resort.
We value your loyalty and really look forward to welcoming you again soon.

LA -Operations Manager

Reviewed 14 February 2012

Booked an overnight stay as a surprise for my husband's birthday. I was assured that upgrading to the deluxe and prepaying (thus saving around £50 on normal rate) would be well worth it. I debated over this booking long and hard as I knew if we were going for dinner and some drinks I would be spending in excess of £300 which is alot of money for us. But as it was a special occassion I thought what the hell as I heard so many positive reviews/word of mouth.

We arrived on my husbands birthday Sat 11th Feb. The hall is stunning as are the grounds. However, on entering room 24 we were a little disappointed. I've been in much nicer rooms. The hot water tap in the bathroom kept playing up. Everytime I was about to phone to reception to complain, hot water would pipe through again and then the next time it was used it was freezing cold again. The toilet was not secured to the floor/wall therefore on exit it made a weird clanging sound. There was no mini bar (just a fridge with one pitiful milk carton) - disapointing. And what looked like a beautiful four poster was very rickety/moveable and noisy (not in the least bit romantic, especially as you can hear people walk by your room, if you know what I mean!)

We went for dinner and the staff were very attentive and helpful and our food was fab (chips to die for!) one of the waitresses helped me out greatly when I handed over a candle to be put on my husband's dessert as a wee surprise. I was hoping that the kitchen mightve wrote happy birthday round the plate but I suppose thats just a personal thing...

We took our drinks into the hall and when I made a trip to the were told that there would be a pianist playing later and we stayed for an hour or so but by this time it was after 10pm and as we hardly saw another staff member about we into the public bar area ourselves to get another drink and then retired to the room.

Breakfast was just plain weird having to queue for your brekkie! I dont think I've ever stayed in a 5 star hotel before where its served as a buffet (maybe the continental breakfast yes, but cooked - nope!) I dont know if its because we were a bit later (but not late) coming down so everything wasnt as fresh but I nearly broke a tooth on a tattie scone and hubby's poached eggs were hard boiled. Its a shame no-one keeps an eye when things are getting a bit hard/rubbery for a changeover as the food is lovely.

Checkout was a slooooow procedure, queued for almost 20 mins as there was only one receptionist on. Although she was lovely and it wasnt her fault she was left to fend for herself.

I think you pay more for the size and granduer of Mar Hall, the spa, golf course and its natural stunning surroundings looking at the Old Kilpatrick hills, for this its faultless but these niggly things all mounted up and just annoyed me as I had such high expectations.

We just didnt feel like guests in a 5 star hotel. Although I have to say wee highlight when walking back to car after the checkout rigmaroll descended me into a gloom, my spirts were raised at the wonderous sight of a number of deer scampering past me - glorious! For that sight alone, you should definitely visit, I imagine its even more stunning in summertime.

2  Thank dollydebs

Dear Ms I,
Thank you very much for taking the time to relate your recent experience to other tripadvisor fans.
It is disappointing for us to read that our guests did not fully enjoy their stay with us. Here at Mar Hall Golf and Spa Resort, we pride ourselves in providing our guests with memorable experiences and we are truly sorry you feel we let you down on this occasion.
Unfortunately we are unable to trace back in any of our logs that you spoke to any of our staff or managers on duty to allow us to address the “niggles” you encountered. The comment card left on your pillow at turn down time was not filled out.
We are both disappointed and surprised you did not like the comfort of room 24 which is a great “Deluxe room” offering you decent space and lovely décor, with four poster bed and fantastic views across the gardens.
Our breakfast offering indeed gives our guests the opportunity to help themselves on the hot buffet but also, as explained whilst being seated to order any type of food, from kippers to kedgeree, porridge or full cooked breakfast directly from the kitchen to avoid the buffet. Please accept our apologies if this was not to your satisfaction.
We are glad to read however that you found our staff helpful and that you liked the surrounding of the hotel.
Thank you once again for your contribution.

LA - Operations Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Bishopton
Ingliston Country Club
#2 of 2 in Bishopton
City Centre
Blythswood Square
Blythswood Square
#13 of 93 in Glasgow
Erskine Bridge Hotel
#1 of 1 in Erskine

Been to Mar Hall Golf & Spa Resort? Share your experiences!