We have holidayed at Crieff Hydro for many many years staying in various different self catering and room options. This year we decided to book a lodge again as the previous lodges we had stayed (March 2011) in had been spacious, beautifully furnished and luxurious.
When we arrived we were given our lodge allocation. It was not a lodge we had previously stayed in. The lodge was spacious but was needing major modernisation and refurbishment. The sofa had a burn down the back of it and everything looked old and tired, it was certainly not the luxury we were expecting and had previously experienced. It seems to be chance which lodge you get. However as they are described as luxury and the beautifully modernised lodges are shown by the photos on the website, expectations were high. Therefore we were disappointed to stay in this lodge, especially as the price difference between this and a chalet was more than double. We did get extra space and en suite bathrooms with the lodge but it wasn't worth the extra we had paid as it was not luxury. However we were only there for 3 nights and did not want to make a fuss so we cut our losses and continued with our weekend.
The hotel and facilities were great. We thoroughly enjoyed use of the swimming pool and outdoor centre - I would recommend the Segways. The staff were generally friendly and helpful. The beds in the lodges were very comfortable and a good nights sleep was had by all.
We checked out and headed home. I received a phonecall that evening from the hotel asking if I knew anything about a burnt sofa. I explained the sofa had been burnt when we arrived but we hadn't mentioned it as we had assumed the hotel knew. The sofa had obviously been burnt but this had been noticed as it had been moved away from the electric heater, When I explained this I was told the same cleaners clean the room every week and had not noticed this when they had cleaned the lodge before our visit. The phonecall felt rather accusatory. They did take my word for it but they did not have much option. I find it hard to believe the cleaners would have not seen the burn on the sofa - it was the first thing we noticed as we walked into the room. I wish we had mentioned the burnt sofa now but at the time we fully believed the hotel would have been aware as the damage was done before we had arrived and the sofa had been moved away from the heater. The damaged sofa was yet another niggle we had regarding the 'luxury lodge'. However this incident has left us with a bit of bad feeling.
We enjoyed our weekend despite the accommodation but I would not pay the premium to stay in a lodge without a guarantee that you will experience the luxury shown and described when booking. You do have the option to pay an extra £25 a night to choose the particular lodge you want so you could choose one you had previously stayed in but I feel that you shouldn't have to pay extra on top of the original room cost. If the rooms are described as luxury and photos of beautifully decorated lodges are shown then that is what you should receive for the room rate.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Arguably the most comprehensive family resort in Scotland, 4 star Crieff Hydro is centrally located in its own 900 acre estate with an unrivaled range of leisure pursuits for all ages. Choose from over 40 on-site leisure activities and take advantage of inclusive daily childcare for 2-12 year olds in the 700m2 kids club. Extensively redeveloped from top to bottom, Crieff Hydro is only an hours drive from both Glasgow and Edinburgh. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with LateRooms, Hotels.com, Expedia, Booking.com, Travel Republic (UK), TripOnline SA and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Crieff Hydro Hotel and Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Crieff Hydro Hotel Crieff
- Crieff Hydro Resort
- Crieff Hotel Hydro
- Crieff Hydro Scotland
- Crieff Hydro Hotel And Resort Scotland