“old fashioned hydro, a step back in time”

Crieff Hydro Hotel and Resort
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Crieff
Reviewed 25 November 2007

I have stayed at the Crieff hydro on many occasions as it is used for a conference venue by my professional organisation. I love it. It is a typical old hydro (a spa for the rich victorians to retire to for thier health). It has lost none of its charm and is now a modern and well run hotel. The Golf facilities are ok, but next door is the Crieff golf course which is even better.

snooker room , dance floor with live music I have rumba'd and foxtrotted my way across the floor more than once!

always welcoming and a great hotel. Rooms large, but can be a little dark (ask for extra lights - staff accommodate).

I just wish I had time to enjoy the hotel, I am always in a rush for business reasons. I am going back again early december this year.

• Stayed: September 2006, travelled on business
3  Thank Luna2006
Write a ReviewReviews (4,033)

Reviewed 13 November 2007

Just returned from a three night stay at the Hydro, early November.

The hotel is fantastic - check-in very quick and pleasant and the room was huge for two of us.

The hotel is full of nice little extras - snooker room, cinema, nooks and crannies along the corridors where you can sit and read a book and while away a pleasant hour or two.

We had evening dinner included in the Meikle Restaurant and the food was superb - beautifully presented and great service. Breakfast was buffet, but not at all bad and no long wait for tables despite the hotel being very busy.

The grounds are just fantastic - full of autumn coloured leaves, nice quiet walks and stunning views over the hills.

This hotel provides entertainment - sadly for us, they cancelled their quiz night, but the ceilidh on the Friday was fabulous and you would have thought you were at a party with old friends as the atmosphere was so good. There are also two swimming pools - one for adults only which costs extra, and they have a good variety of "well-being" treatments available. I opted for an aromatherapy massage and it was fantastic.

After checking out and arriving home I discovered I had left behind some important belongings and I was very impressed at the effort put in by several staff members to track my bag down and call me to assure me they had found it - I now have it back.

This hotel is a beautiful old building, lovingly restored but still full of character and every member of staff we came across was extremely friendly and helplful.

Despite some of the reviews, please give this hotel a try - I am really quite fussy and I cannot wait to return to this little piece of Scottish Heaven.

• Stayed: November 2007, travelled with family
2  Thank Maeboyce
Reviewed 17 October 2007

We had a short break here It promises so much and does not fullfill. Dont get me wrong the food was great. The accomation was small we had a double bed and two single beds for our kids and there wasnt room for much else.

It bills its self as Disabled friendly but it is not. It is immpossible for a disabled person to get about without help.

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled with family
1  Thank grievem
Reviewed 13 October 2007

Stayed for 2 nights in Oct. (sun and mon night) The hotel is in beautiful surroundings and the town of Crieff itself is nice for a wander. We stayed in one of the studio suites which was lovely and spacious... Literally a minutes walk from the main hotel and nice and quiet. A lot of space downstairs in the living area, beautiful bathroom on mezzanine with nice The White company tolietries (alth they werent replaced the next day) and a HUGE comfy bed upstairs. Loads to do or you can chill out and do very little. Swimming pool was nice and clean although too busy during children's times unless you have kids. We also tried out table tennis (£1) archery (£20 and great fun) the gallery (games area open to all during day) and went on a lovely walk around 'the knock' There are a lot of children in this hotel and there seems to be a lot for them to do.. I didnt find it a problem but if you dislike children maybe its not for you! Food was of a very high standard and served by friendly staff. We ate in the brasserie one night and the restaurant the other... Food in the restaurant was delicious, but sevice was a bit too rushed and quick. Breakfast was of very high quality. Loved every minute and felt really relaxed staying here in such lovely surroundings. Can't wait to return!

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled as a couple
1  Thank sparkly273
Reviewed 9 October 2007

We are a family of five (kids now 5, 7 & 10) and have stayed at Crieff Hydro a couple of times and hope to return soon for a weekend. It's pricey, but when you break down what's included it fairs better than other hotels for a large family.

This place is the best we have stayed at as far as family facilities go, especially with three kids, an awkward number for most hotels to accommodate in one room. On both occasions we have had very spacious rooms with bunks and a single and double bed. The rooms were what I expected in an old hotel, old fashioned, but clean and comfortable. There seemed quite a variation in room standards, and a lot of refurbishment going on at the time, but what we had was perfectly acceptable. Included in the cost were 6 hours a day of childcare which my kids thoroughly enjoyed. This enabled us to enjoy dinner, while the kids had tea earlier. The Bistro is by far the best place to eat in the hotel, where we were given an allowance and didn't go too much over it. We found the waiters in the main restaurant a bit miserable and the food there not very exciting, but that is the only negative thing we encountered.

The grounds are enormous, and there are lovely walks to do while the kids are in the various clubs. There is a riding school in the grounds as well as lots of other activities and we have always managed to book a lesson for the two older kids no problem while there.

On our first stay my youngest daughter had an allergic reaction to the bed sheets, her skin was very red and starting to blister. The hotel manager and staff were excellent in dealing with this, completely changing all covers to new ones that had been separately washed and rinsed, and arranging hotel transport to and from the local doctors surgery to have her examined. All was fine after a few hours. On our next visit we rang in advance and specially rinsed sheets were used and ready in our room at no extra charge.

We have stayed at MacDonald Forest Hills Resort and Hilton Coylumbridge in the past, both similar family friendly hotels. Crieff Hydro is by far the best out of these in our opinion and the only UK hotel our children ask to go back to.

• Stayed: October 2006, travelled with family
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Crieff
0.6 km away
12 km away
Gleneagles
Gleneagles
#1 of 3 in Auchterarder

Been to Crieff Hydro Hotel and Resort? Share your experiences!