“Eating and staying at the Ducks”

Ducks Inn - The Bar
Ranked #4 of 8 Restaurants in Aberlady
Price range: US$17 - US$45
Good for: Groups, Romantic, Bar Scene, Special Occasion Dining, Child-friendly, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: In addition to 23 comfy bedrooms The Bar at Ducks Inn is a superb, relaxed eating place. All the food is sourced locally and produced on the premises by Chef Mozdzen and his team. The menu changes with the seasons. Just 40 minutes down the coast from Edinburgh and its airport, Ducks Inn nestles in the sleepy village of Aberlady . Ducks Inn has one of Scotland's top whisky bars housing around one hundred malt whiskies including a collection from the Scotch Malt Whisky Society of which Ducks Inn is a Home from Home partner bar. The wine list is one of the finest in Scotland and complements the outstanding menu in Ducks Restaurant. The Bar is very traditional, filled with golfing memorabilia and bar putting games. Real Ales are also a feature and Doombar is a regular with two guest beers rotating regularly. The Bar at Ducks Inn also features a large humidor filled with Cubans. You will always find a fond welcome when you Duck Inn to The Bar at Ducks Inn!
Reviewed 20 August 2017

Stayed with my wife and 2 sons, aged 12 and 16 for 3 nights. We aimed to visit Edinburgh and the surrounding area. The food at the Ducks was of a decent standard, we had dinner once and 3 breakfasts, service was friendly and efficient. The bar area is cosy, the whole atmosphere is homely, from the comfortable rooms to the dining area and bar. Staff are very approachable and helpful. I would not hesitate to recommend both the food and the place as a hotel.

Eider, Owner at Ducks Inn - The Bar, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2017

Very glad you enjoyed your stay, thanks very much for coming we very much enjoyed having you. We are very convenient for Edinburgh.

Reviewed 17 August 2017

Reminiscent of an old fashioned pub bar - but you can do comfy sofas - waitress service and an extraordinary selection of single malts. Excellent6

Eider, Owner at Ducks Inn - The Bar, responded to this reviewResponded 5 October 2017

Glad you enjoyed it, some think we need to refurbish the bar, others love the character. Glad you enjoyed it.

Reviewed 15 August 2017 via mobile

We visited this highly recommended restaurant this week and ate in the bar. Though the two chicken dishes ordered were tasty enough the actual portion sizes were very small and quite pricey. The only additional vegetables we could have ordered were green beans and they already came with the dish. Someone in our party also ordered the lobster ravioli. This came as three parcels and was smothered in a mushroom sauce drowning out any flavour of the lobster. It was a starter size really and as others reviewers have commented previously, not at all good value for money. The worst part of our meal were the desserts. Although one was nice enough the sticky toffee pudding was the worst we have ever tasted. It took ages to arrive and when it did it was heavy, lacking in any flavour and completely cold in the middle! When we complained about it being totally cold we were asked to 'Appreciate that it's not possible to create a pudding completely from
Scratch in the time allowed' which seemed a very strange thing to say seeing as other restaurants seem to manage this. There was no explanation as to why it was completely cold in the middle. It really was inedible. The manager offered us another choice of dessert but we didn't fancy anything else as there was little choice. All in all, a very disappointing experience, wish I'd trusted the poorer reviews.

3  Thank Cazzamitch
Eider, Owner at Ducks Inn - The Bar, responded to this reviewResponded 17 October 2017

I am very sorry you didn't enjoy your meal. Sticky toffee pudding should not be cold in the middle. I don't know any restaurant that would make it to order, it would just take too long to cook. In most places it's made before service and reheated. The lobster ravioli was one of our biggest sellers and enjoyed by most.
I'm sorry it's taken a while to respond. Your comments have been taken on board. I hope you will try us again, please ask for me if you don't see me.

Reviewed 11 June 2017 via mobile

We had lunch here. The food was good and the service was very polite. Well worth a visit although access to the car park is a tad narrow and they should have oatcakes as a substitute for bread. Picky points.

Eider, Owner at Ducks Inn - The Bar, responded to this reviewResponded 24 June 2017

Very glad you enjoyed your visit. Everything is home made at Ducks, I take on your request for oatcakes however you are the first person to ask in a very long time. Not a lot I can do about the width of the drive, we get transit vans through however. Thanks for coming.

Reviewed 7 June 2017 via mobile

I'd been looking forward to dining in the ducks as heard from a few friends it was nice but sadly the evening I went it wasn't! The waitress was very disinterested and not very knowledgeable about the menu, as for the food I ordered the steak medium rare and come out Mid-well, I asked for the side salad and it contained lettuce soaked in olive also a lack of season! Overpriced & definitely won't waste my money in here again!

1  Thank CJ336P
Eider, Owner at Ducks Inn - The Bar, responded to this reviewResponded 12 June 2017

Thank you for writing. We have but one waitress about whom you will read many very positive comments in regard to food knowledge and level of interest and care so you experience surprises me. Can I ask why you didn't ask to speak to the manager or owner? Had you done so we could learn some lessons and or take remedial action. Your steak etc would have been replaced or some other remedial action taken. There has been one evening in the last fortnight when we have had another lady working to help out but she was helped by senior staff and both the restaurant manager and I ensured ALL table were checked by both of us to make sure they were happy. There is a comment card with every bill, why didn't you make your comments it? We would then at least know when you were here! I fully understand that some folk 'don't want to make a fuss' which is why there is the option of the comment card; which you are encouraged to fill out. Frankly I'm more interested in what's gone wrong because I can learn form it rather than what's gone right. Your review sadly serves no purpose and together with my response will be read by a huge audience across the globe and judged accordingly. To those reading PLEASE TELL establishments, good or bad when you are there.