“Not impressed!”

Ducks Inn - The Bar
Ranked #4 of 8 Restaurants in Aberlady
Price range: US$17 - US$45
Good for: Groups, Local cuisine, Child-friendly, Romantic, Business meetings, Bar Scene, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: In addition to 23 comfy bedrooms The Bar at Ducks Inn is a superb, relaxed eating place. All the food is sourced locally and produced on the premises by Chef Mozdzen and his team. The menu changes with the seasons. Just 40 minutes down the coast from Edinburgh and its airport, Ducks Inn nestles in the sleepy village of Aberlady . Ducks Inn has one of Scotland's top whisky bars housing around one hundred malt whiskies including a collection from the Scotch Malt Whisky Society of which Ducks Inn is a Home from Home partner bar. The wine list is one of the finest in Scotland and complements the outstanding menu in Ducks Restaurant. The Bar is very traditional, filled with golfing memorabilia and bar putting games. Real Ales are also a feature and Doombar is a regular with two guest beers rotating regularly. The Bar at Ducks Inn also features a large humidor filled with Cubans. You will always find a fond welcome when you Duck Inn to The Bar at Ducks Inn!
Reviewed 7 June 2017 via mobile

I'd been looking forward to dining in the ducks as heard from a few friends it was nice but sadly the evening I went it wasn't! The waitress was very disinterested and not very knowledgeable about the menu, as for the food I ordered the steak medium rare and come out Mid-well, I asked for the side salad and it contained lettuce soaked in olive also a lack of season! Overpriced & definitely won't waste my money in here again!

Date of visit: May 2017
1  Thank CJ336P
Eider, Owner at Ducks Inn - The Bar, responded to this reviewResponded 12 June 2017

Thank you for writing. We have but one waitress about whom you will read many very positive comments in regard to food knowledge and level of interest and care so you experience surprises me. Can I ask why you didn't ask to speak to the manager or owner? Had you done so we could learn some lessons and or take remedial action. Your steak etc would have been replaced or some other remedial action taken. There has been one evening in the last fortnight when we have had another lady working to help out but she was helped by senior staff and both the restaurant manager and I ensured ALL table were checked by both of us to make sure they were happy. There is a comment card with every bill, why didn't you make your comments it? We would then at least know when you were here! I fully understand that some folk 'don't want to make a fuss' which is why there is the option of the comment card; which you are encouraged to fill out. Frankly I'm more interested in what's gone wrong because I can learn form it rather than what's gone right. Your review sadly serves no purpose and together with my response will be read by a huge audience across the globe and judged accordingly. To those reading PLEASE TELL establishments, good or bad when you are there.

Reviewed 3 June 2017 via mobile

Stopped here for lunch after visiting Aberlady reserve and Gullane beach. Excellent and friendly service. We sat outside as it was a lovely day, and we ordered fish and chips & chicken. Both were fab and homemade! Lovely meal in a lovely place! Recommended!

Date of visit: May 2017
Eider, Manager at Ducks Inn - The Bar, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2017

Very glad you enjoyed your visit to the Ducks and the Bar Menu, the fish and chips are very good. We now also have scallops, lobster ravioli, Cote de Beuf and some sandwiches on home made bread amongst our offering in the bar. Thanks again for coming and taking the time to write.

Reviewed 11 April 2017

Stayed here for one night when travelling in the area. Very warm and friendly welcome. The room was very spacious and had a four poster bed and lots of light in the room. It was very clean in all areas. We did not eat in the restaurant as it closed on a Monday. We hope to try it another time when passing as the food has great reviews.

Date of visit: April 2017
Eider, Owner at Ducks Inn - The Bar, responded to this reviewResponded 21 April 2017

Thank you for taking the time to write, I am glad you liked the new look restaurant. The Sous Chef is Tom Williams, a very able young man as you discovered. Thanks for taking the time to write, slowly but surely we are pushing the standards up as we build our team.

Reviewed 31 March 2017

Nice pub with some games going on . It seemed to be a men only bar. Expensive drink more so than the Craigielaw lodge hotel which has a captive audience.

Date of visit: March 2017
Eider, Owner at Ducks Inn - The Bar, responded to this reviewResponded 1 April 2017

I am sorry to say I don't really understand this review and struggle to learn form it. My usual cry 'Please talk to us, we do listen' ! We are very definitely not a men only bar we have lots for girls and boys, however if a group of 16 or 20 guys walk in from Craigielaw or else where are you suggesting we don't serve them? We don't turn away groups of ladies either, we do however expect good behavior form all. We are surrounded by 22 golf courses so there are a lot of golf related visitors in the summer. However there are also lots of bird watchers, walkers and cyclists. As to price? You don't give any example other than suggesting Craigielaw is cheaper....we are cheaper than Gleneagles? A pint of Belhaven Best is £3.80. Everting we do form food to real ale, wine and whisky are quality be it in the bar or the restaurant. We always try to compete on quality.

It really does help us if some one has a criticism positive or negative, if they tell us so we can look at it context an learn form it.

Reviewed 26 March 2017 via mobile

Stopped on the Motorbike with the other half for a little nourishment and to get watered. Luckily it was a fantastic day so it was the outside seating in the sun out the front that really invited me to stop.

We started with some caffeine, the coffee was spot on with no lack of milk on the side to cool it in the spring sun.

We had the Ceasar salad and the smoked salmon sandwich. Bot where presented really attractively and the portions where spot on.

Would recomend this place to any passer by looking for a upper mid priced lunch with quality and a lovely setting.

Shall certainly be going back on my travels.

Date of visit: March 2017
Eider, Owner at Ducks Inn - The Bar, responded to this reviewResponded 27 March 2017

Glad you enjoyed your refueling stop, the weather really arrived this weekend, it was nice to have folk out side at the front again. Thank you very much for your kind words and taking the time to write. We have made a few additions to the bar menu for the spring!