“COFFEE”

Cuisines: British, Bar, Brew Pub
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed 3 March 2018 via mobile

Superb cup of coffee made, dash of vanilla syrup brought to my table with a piece of fudge. Small cup was £3.25 so it should have been tasty and it was.
Very friendly staff and atmosphere.
Clean loos, with lush hand cleanser and moisturiser.
Lots of families, young children and dogs enjoying the place.
Does have a free car park although closed when I went, not sure why.

2  Thank Sophie B
Hall W, Manager at The Olive Branch, responded to this reviewResponded 8 March 2018

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on Trip Advisor. We look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Reviewed 25 February 2018

Date of visit was 16th February 2018. Must have been a very poor shepherd, as several ingredients were either absent or unrecognisable, ie flat mushrooms, tomatoes, kale, roast tomato sauce. Just a 'load of old lentils' with roughly smoothed ungarnished sweet potato mash in an enamel pie dish; dry and tasteless and all for £11.50.
My daughter and friends are booked for a meal in March, and I trust that the veggie option will be vastly improved by then!

Hall W, Manager at The Olive Branch, responded to this reviewResponded 27 February 2018

Please accept our apologies for giving you cause to post this review on Trip Advisor. We’d really like the chance to look into this matter further. We’d be very grateful if you could copy and paste your review, together with the Public House name and date of visit and email us at:
guestfeedback@hall-woodhouse.co.uk

Reviewed 24 February 2018

My wife and I often visit the Wimborne area (I was born and brought up north of the town) and we decided to try the Olive Branch for an early dinner – we will not be visiting there again!

As we were due to see a show at the Tivoli Theatre, we booked a table for 5.15pm and everything started off well. I had venison terrine to start and it was pretty good. However, my wife did not have a starter as she could not find anything on the menu she really fancied.

It was when our main courses arrived that the problems started…

I ordered veal, but what arrived was definitely NOT veal – it was a sirloin steak! I asked the waitress if they had given me the correct meal, and she assured me that the piece of meat on my plate was veal. So I went into the kitchen and asked the chef if it was veal. “Oh yes” he replied “it’s mature veal which is slaughtered at 18 months”. My understanding is that veal is usually slaughtered up to around 6 months, not 18 months, and is light pink in colour not dark red. I was either mis-sold a steak purporting to be veal, or they cooked the wrong meat and were not prepared to admit it.

My wife’s main course was little better. She had a burger and it arrived cold, stone cold. I have never known my wife send her food back, but she did on that occasion. After a wait, the burger reappeared and was warmer, but still not as hot as one would expect. And they had omitted to replace some of the trimmings such as the gherkin.

At least the sweets were good.

I note the Olive Branch is part of a chain. If this is typical, we will avoid all Hall & Woodhouse eateries on future visits to Dorset.

Thank you for your review. I can assure you that what you were served was Veal. Our menu clearly states ‘British Rose Veal Sirloin (Higher Welfare) and this is the dish you received. I am unsure if you were expecting European White Veal, but this is not something we offer here. The high welfare standards and farming methods used in rearing British rose veal calves produces succulent, great tasting meat, and it should be noted that rose veal calves live longer than most of the chickens, pigs and lambs that we eat.
In future if you are unsure on something with us here please do ask to speak to the manager on duty, who can either provide you with the information or check with the chef, instead of taking it upon yourself to walk into a busy commercial kitchen, where team members are busy working. Our Kitchen Manager is the team member you spoke to when you walked into the kitchen, I am sorry you did not give him a chance to finish before you left the area.
Please do pass on our apologies to your wife with regards to the burger – they are one of our biggest sellers and very rarely do we get complaints about them. Kind Regards The Olive Branch Team.

Reviewed 24 February 2018

We visited here for a birthday meal, having heard good things about it from friends. We were not disappointed. Lovely warm welcome, great service, chilled atmosphere and absolutely delicious food. Battered fish and chips was great. All meals presented beautifully. Just a really relaxed evening out and will definitely be back.

2  Thank Mojoluk

Thank you for your lovely review. We are delighted that you enjoyed your visit.

Reviewed 22 February 2018 via mobile

We have just returned home after a delicious supper at The Olive Branch. We both thoroughly enjoyed the fish and chips. The presentation was great and we could not fault the meal. Tui was a very attentive and charming waitress - thank you!

3  Thank Sophie H