“Great view, shame about the plastic”

The Boat That Rocks
Price range: US$10 - US$39
Cuisines: Seafood, Contemporary, Cafe
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Newly refurbished restaurant & bar, with an emphasis on fresh food at a competitive price. Our marina side location is hard to beat and we offer live music at least once a week. Upstairs we have a wine, champagne & cocktail bar which has its own balcony and is open late thurs, fri, saturday
Reviewed 31 May 2018

Met friends for lunch. We ordered a halloumi burger and cheese burger. Food was fine, pub grub as you'd expect. Waiting staff were really pleasant. I was really surprised that for a seaside venue, literally metres from the sea, they used single use plastic sauce sachets. The sauces were also in a cardboard coffee cup. We didn't have drinks that needed straws (do any!) so I don't know if they use those too. I live in a seaside village in Cornwall and our local businesses have been involved with Plastic Free Coastlines & The Final Straw. This seems to have grown rather HUGE since Blue Planet. It would be great to see The Boat That Rocks cutting down on their single use footprint too. Will pop in and see next time we're up ;)

1  Thank Niki W

Reviewed 30 May 2018

We stayed in Portland for a week and came across this place more by accident. So pleased we did, the location and surrounds are fab and it really reminded me of Fremantle in WA. I'm so surprised to see negative comments on the Staff, everyone I encountered from Cleaners, Bar-Staff to Management were in really good spirits and so welcoming. The chef even comes out to chat from time to time to engage with the customers.

The Fish & Chips I can easily say are the best I have had in the UK, maybe only rivaled by Cicerello's, which ironically is in Fremantle WA.

Food I felt was well priced considering the location and quality of ingredients.

Thank you to all for the enjoyable visits and great Pints of San Miguel!

1  Thank Bpm1976
Reviewed 30 May 2018

Very impressed with the staff who were attentive at all times. The menu does not offer a massive range but you would not expect that of a marina based outlet. The food was well cooked and served quickly. The place offered a friendly atmosphere and looks out over the Portland Marina. Well worth a visit.

1  Thank Peter M
Reviewed 23 May 2018 via mobile

Coffees arrived mostly in saucers, no apology: I asked for serviettes to mop up but they never arrived I eventually went to count to ask again and she just held out 1 serviette (2 coffees) without a word and looked at me like I was stupid, absolutely terrible service

Reviewed 21 May 2018 via mobile

You won't find anywhere better on Portland!

We often visit TBTR (The Boat that Rocks) for one reason alone..its amazing!

The food is delicious, good quality ingredients, superbly presented and all for great value for money...the seafood linguine is to die for.

You will not be disappointed...

The staff are very friendly and go out of their way to be helpful and to make your experience a pleasure.

And the views are breathtaking...there aren't many places where you get such incredible views.

Plenty of events happening from acoustic live music sessions in the afternoons and weekends.

This gem is worth it's weight in gold. I would even be happy to pay for the small boat ferry from Weymouth which practically drops you outside and then bus back in the evening.

There's even a photography and arts gallery to take home a view of the Jurassic coast.

You won't be disappointed!

2  Thank Alexandra M