“great concept for a restaruant, delicious food and wonderful staff”
Review of River Exe Cafe

River Exe Cafe
Ranked #4 of 140 Restaurants in Exmouth
Price range: US$8 - US$51
Good for: View
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: The River Exe Cafe is a floating barge just off the Ski lane on the River Exe, and is in the heart of Exmouth’s water sports fraternity, wakeboarding, waterskiing, kayaking, sailing to name just a few, however it is also situated in an area of outstanding natural beauty, protected by Natural England. Open from April to September only . The Exe Estuary is home to many rare birds and creatures including Avocets, Osprey and of course our friendly grey seal. With the potential to take up to 100 people on board the Cafe has been designed very much like the “Ski in Ski out” wooden chalets found on the ski slopes of many ski resorts, but with the intention that the quality of food and service exceeds all expectations of the external look and feel. The barge has a licensed bar and covered outdoor space with heaters and indoor seating to relax well into the evening without suffering the cold. Customers to the barge really are of all ages and walks of life, ranging from the usual river users and water sports enthusiasts to bird watchers, artists and holiday makers. Special events such as birthday parties, anniversaries, stag & hen parties to corporate & team building days can be arranged. Private and exclusive use of the barge is also available.
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

my best friend and I came here on a very wet and windy September afternoon to celebrate our birthdays. The water taxi rides over and back were great fun. The restaurant was really well laid out and very atmospheric. I loved the pictures for sale and on our table was a little chalkboard saying "Happy Birthday".
We had a corner seat that gave us great views of the Estuary. Outside we watched water skiers, boats, Cormorants while inside we were warm and cosy. The seats had blankets we could use if we were chilly from the taxi ride.
I had Chowder for a starter and Mussels in Cider and Bacon for my main. Beck had the Deep Fried Baby Squid for starter (the Oyster Mayonnaise was heavenly) and Chowder for main. . This was paired by the most delicious Muscadet that balanced the fish beautifully. Pudding was a Tart Tatin and Salted Caramel Brownie, these came out with candles and the wait staff singing happy birthday to us. What a lovely friendly touch.
My only criticism is this: I wanted everything on the starter menu, and would happily have had an Assiette for my starters.
We have already planned out trip back - and it doesn't matter what the weather is like. The windy weather only added to the adventure and the experience.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,190)

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I had high hopes for this place and was willing it to be great, but unfortunately I was completely underwhelmed. The boat ride to/from the restaurant was lovely and helped kick off the experience with a feeling of adventure, but the food and service were bland and unworthy of the high praise I had read so much about. I had no problem with the cost being a little higher than normal given the unusual location, but I also expected really good quality food. To be fair the mussels were nice but my goats cheese starter was just OK (looked great but was not as described on the menu which was our first disappointment) but our mains were where things really started to go downhill. Again, items from the menu descriptions were missing from our plates (toasted coconut rice was just plain rice and there was no pineapple salsa), and also poorly prepared (especially the lobster which was dry and chewy, and the fish and chips which were incredibly oily - NB this often happens if the oil food is cooked in is not hot enough). When we brought these matters up with the waitress we received a very cool response and a defensive attitude, and from that point onward the rest of our visit was decidedly uncomfortable. We stayed for dessert too since we had to wait for our water taxi, but if not for that we would have cut our losses early and left (NB the brownie and Eton Mess desserts were average pub grub and did not salvage the experience). I convinced my family to come here as the expected high culinary point of our vacation in Devon, and at the end of it all I just felt guilty for having ruined everyone's day as it was not a good experience.

1  Thank figlia79
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

My husband and I lunched at the River Exe Cafe which we had discovered through a review by the telegraph naming the best beach cafes in southern England. We were able to take our dog with us which is rather unusual for England. There is a short boat trip to get to the restaurant which is in the middle of the water. There is a GBP5 charge per adult for the round trip. We ordered oysters and a seafood platter to share. The quality and freshness of the seafood was evident and the service friendly.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Fabulous experience with wonderful food, fabulous service and an amazing experience. The ferry journey to the cafe itself is lovely and the seafood was amazing. Highly recommend the chowder and the mussels which were both excellent.

Only thing to watch out for- google maps sends you half an hour away if you just type in 'River Exe Cafe'. Make sure you use the postcode to Exmouth- happily we realised this well before hand but our companions had an issue!

Reviewed 12 October 2018 via mobile

The ferry journey was enjoyable with a really friendly skipper, this set the tone for all the staff, helpful, interested with smiling faces and the patience to deal with lots of little requests even when busy

We both had steak, something we rarely do now due to high prices and poor quality, we the steak we had was exceptional and the overall main and dessert were excellent

Must go again soon