All reviews sea front shearings coach holiday self drive sea view shearings bay sister hotel premier room shearings hotels weekend break single room three courses refurbished room coach driver waitress service small lift each evening the ground floor
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Returned today from a 3night break at
The Grand Hotel to celebrate my mother's birthday . I had booked 2 single rooms and paid extra for seaviews. Unfortunately the sea view was the only positive thing about the room. It was extremely shabby, dingy and in desperate need of decorating. Every wall was badly marked and dirty as was the carpet. The shower room was the size of a small cupboard and would be practically impossible for a larger person to use. The fitments had been removed from the wall, filled in with polyfiller but not even painted over. To make matters even worse there was building work going on next door which meant I was subjected to the horrendous noise of hammering and drilling from first thing in the morning. I have stayed in many of the Bay hotels and this was in fact my third stay at The Grand, following my last visit 2 years ago I wrote a very positive review. The hotel is in a fantastic location, the staff are lovely and the entertainment is great but I certainly won't be returning unless I could be guaranteed a refurbished room.

Stayed: September 2018, travelled with family
3  Thank Michelle B
grandhotelexmouth, Manager at Bay Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

I am sorry that you did not enjoy your third stay with us.
Thank you for mentioning the lovely staff.
If wish to visit us again in the future you can always call us direct at the hotel and we would be happy to discuss rooms with you.
A specific room can be pre booked for £15.

David

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We have just returned from a 4day break at the Bay Grand Exmouth although we had a lovely holiday we were disappointed with the room we were in,it was a sea view which was well worth paying the upgrade for but the bathroom was small and there was not much storage space at all we had to leave a lot of our clothes in our suitcases,when I asked if there was any spare drawers we could put in the room we were told they didn’t have any as when they refurbished the rooms they had taken some of the furniture out, not a good idea in my opinion,on the plus side the food was good and the staff were lovely,the location is fantastic.

Room Tip: Sea views a must,fantastic.
Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Jeansmith123

Thank you for your review. Sorry to hear you where slightly disappointed.
Glad that you found the food and staff good.

David

Reviewed 7 September 2018

This Hotel is in a lovely position right on the sea front but does need upgrading. There were two coach loads staying when we were there mainly elderly and/or disabled with just one lift which held a max. of 4 which is not good at all. As our room was on the 2nd floor we did a lot of waiting around or having to tackle the stairs. When we did arrive on the second floor we still had to go down a flight of stairs to get to our room.
The place was clean and the staff friendly but the food could have been better- they were child portions and not really good, although there was a choice of 3 courses and a vegetarian option. 2 of the waitresses were dashing about which made me feel uncomfortable and rushed.

Stayed: August 2018
4  Thank Margaret B
grandhotelexmouth, General Manager at Bay Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 September 2018

Thank you Margaret B for the review of our hotel. We do take all the feedback we receive seriously as this helps us to improve where necessary the service we give to our guests. I shall be monitoring some of the points which you have raised. On a positive note I am happy that you found the staff to be friendly and the hotel clean.

Kenny Sharp

Reviewed 3 September 2018 via mobile

Stayed for 1 night to visit family.
Room was very dated and dirty.
Stood waiting for 20mins to check-in.
Could not get a parking space due to being booked 2 wks in advance but nothing was mentioned when booked so had to pay and display.
Will not be returning

Stayed: September 2018, travelled with family
4  Thank ellanbond
grandhotelexmouth, General Manager at Bay Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 September 2018

Sorry to hear you did not enjoy your one night stay here at the Grand.

Reviewed 3 September 2018

Can't argue about the position of this hotel on the Esplanade.The public areas are very tidy we had a basic room as we only booked up by phone 4days before and was told we only have a basic room available but it was small but comfortable enough.

Food was a bit and miss for evening meals obviously a tight budget for the cook/chief but the breakfast was good if you wanted a cooked one bit lacking on fruit/yogurt.

• Stayed: August 2018, travelled as a couple
3  Thank boodera

Thank you for your review.
Pleased to hear you found your stay good value for money.