“Great location and delicious seafood”

Shoals Cafe On The Lido
Ranked #5 of 115 Restaurants in Brixham
Price range: US$6 - US$46
Description: Shoals is predominantly a seafood restaurant but also caters for vegetarians and meat lovers too We offer freshly cooked local crab sandwiches,line grown Brixham mussels,dayboat scallops and much more from our daily fish auction
Reviewed 12 November 2017

Visited in autumn time in the evening so it was dark, but still not too difficult to find, there are little lights along the pathway. All of our group had fish or seafood which was all delicious. Imagine it'll be a fantastic location and view in the summer time.

Reviewed 12 November 2017 via mobile

We went with our new bestees. Shoals is a quirky building, like a cosy little fisherman's shack in a posh shabby chic style. Between us we chose prawns, skate wing, mussels, crab dip, monk fish, scallops and hake. Everything was delicious, the fish was so fresh. We chose two South African bottles of wine. The service was superb-warm and friendly. Our waitress was very attentive. I can't recommend this enough. You must book in advance as it probably only has room for about 20 covers inside. Good value for money for the food quality. Not to be missed if you visit Brixham.

Reviewed 11 November 2017 via mobile

Hi my wife and I Visited Friday 10thNovember we booked in advance because of reviews. When we arrived the gates for parking were locked. I rang and they immediately ran up and opened them. The food was good and the staff were friendly on arrival,but unfortunately the service was poor we were the only two customers in. I had to keep asking for drinks. I also asked for desert menu which arrived but asked for the bill as the chef and waitress were to busy chatting amongst themselves to even ask if we wanted anything. A lovely location good food I’m guessing it was just an off night but disappointing for us.

Shoals2015, Owner at Shoals Cafe On The Lido, responded to this reviewResponded 11 November 2017

Hi Exeterbally
Thank you for your review. Firstly I would like to apologise for the service you received on Friday evening. This was absolutely unacceptable . Customer service is always of the upmost importance to us therefore i am extremely disappointed that your experience was not as it should of been. Please be assured that the staff involved have been spoken too. We really hope this hasn't put you off and you will give us another try !
Kindest regards
Sarah x

Reviewed 7 November 2017 via mobile

We found Shoals on Trip Advisor after visiting the nearby National Trust property, Coleton Fishacre which is a 15 minute drive from Brixham. It's a cosy, small building right by a lido overlooking the sea. As it was Winter, no-one was sitting outside on the concrete terrace but I expect it's really busy in warm weather. We parked in the adjacent public car park (parking wardens check it regularly we're told, so don't forget your ticket) and walked down to the cafe.
The staff were really friendly and efficient and the food was delicious. We asked for a window seat (it's small so there aren't many) and we had a wonderful view of a wide wintery sea. I had grilled Catch of the Day (hake) and my husband ordered monkfish scampi. Both came with chips (homemade tasting) and I ordered mushy peas. We both thought it was the perfect lunch stop and actually only needed a sandwich for supper! Well worth a visit.

Reviewed 4 November 2017 via mobile

Booked a table here for a Friday night visit for 2 people. Shoals is very quaint with a smaller amount of seating so I would book if you want to guarantee a space. It took us about ten minutes to walk here from the harbour area as it is out of Brixham town on the way to Berry Head hotel.

The menu was well varied but there was also a specials board on top of that. Drinks wise, a standard selection of wines by the bottle or glass as well as beers etc.

The scallops with balsamic and bacon (a special starter) was delicious as was the crab in a scallop shell. For a main, we ordered a sea bass portion as well as a monkfish with scallop dish. Both portions were plentiful and really delicious. Couldn’t make one complaint about the food at all except perhaps I didn’t want to stop eating it.

Service was really prompt for drinks and food order. Staff were also really helpful at explaining the specials board and portions etc.

Price wise, it is slightly on the higher end. For example: a portion of sea bass for one person (with sides) was £20.95 but we get it was completely justifiable with portion and quality and flavour.

Would love to return again!