“Lovely meal in convivial surroundings”
Review of Lytehouse

Lytehouse
Ranked #1 of 117 Restaurants in Brixham
Price range: US$12 - US$39
Cuisines: Cafe
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 8 October 2018 via mobile

We visited last Friday and were very happy with the whole experience. I had the braised pork cheek and celeriac starter which melted in my mouth. My venison and fondant potato main course was a generous portion and perfectly cooked. I eat a lot of game, in Switzerland, where I live, and it was a nice change to have it with different accompaniments. I enjoyed it all. The lady with me had monkfish to start with mackerel and beetroot as a main course and loved it all. We had side orders of truffle potatoes and bacon and cabbage. The accompanying wines were good too. The desserts were very good too. I couldn't resist the sticky toffee pudding. The service was friendly and welcoming.
One highlight for me was being able to see some of the action in the kitchen. We could clearly see the food being freshly prepared.
I'd recommend this restaurant to anyone. In fact we would have liked to have eaten there the following night (Saturday) too but unfortunately we hadn't booked and there was no space when we arrived. If I ever go back to Brixham, I'll be sure to visit again.

1  Thank Tom C

Reviewed 7 October 2018

We had the set meal (Monday/Tuesday)...really lovely and the 1/2 bottle of wine each was a perfect balance.....The Lytehouse was full.....so we’re not the only ones who thought it was good.....lovely food......Jon

1  Thank JonWelch
Reviewed 6 October 2018 via mobile

Our 2nd visit and the food was just as high a standard as our 1st. We had the monkfish starter and beef main- both were fantastic! Definitely recommended

2  Thank granthelen22
Reviewed 5 October 2018 via mobile

Absolutely wonderful. Great menu with fresh cooked food.
Yes, no microwave, If you want faster food, best to go elsewhere... where the ping is a feature!
This is a foodies gift in Brixham! Served in a loving way and professional!
Set menue’s for a cheaper early evening are fantastic!!!
Thank you for being here! There’s no other place for miles.
Foodies will love love love this place!
Forever thankful there’s a decent restaurant here!!!!

2  Thank mariakitsis
Reviewed 5 October 2018

After a few weeks travelling and eating in France, dinner at Lyethouse turned out to be the perfect antidote to some of the overrated Michelin starred restaurants we'd wasted our money in. Daniel, the chef, is really producing very finely judged food here, with everything he puts into a dish having a reason for being there. How great too to see a chef who relies on his skills rather than fancy gadgets.

We've been eating here for about three years now, I guess, and this week I ate the best dish I've had there - the monkfish with chorizo which some other reviewers have mentioned is a brilliant starter, incredibly good value for the money. Perfect cooking. It wouldn't have been out-of-place at my long-time Spanish favourite Cambio de Tercio in London, which is praise indeed.

My wife enthused about her salad and even more so about the sea bass with its Asian touches. I enjoyed the short-rib beef after the monkfish, although it paled slightly after that dish. Wine from the interesting, eclectic list was- as ever - great, a wonderful Sicilian white matching the starters particularly well, after an enjoyably frank discussion with Katherine about the merits (or otherwise) of a new Welsh offering on the list. I'm sure the Welsh must enjoy it.

The welcome was - as ever - warm and it's amazing how well they maintain service standards. What's also wonderful is to see that after some years of offering great menus to a slightly resistant Brixham population, Lyethouse is now recognized for the quality and value it offers. It was packed the night we were there and we've noticed the same on other nights as we walked through the town. Not surprising. We shall book in future.

I just hope Daniel doesn't get tempted to buy a water bath now his restaurant is so busy...

Date of visit: September 2018