2,100 results
All reviews terrace lounge sea facing room sand dunes stunning location family suite main restaurant indoor pool lovely hotel short break brend hotels north devon scones cream tea table tennis relaxing break brend group great facilities
Reviewed 18 February 2018

My wife had a special birthday so we decided a beach location would be ideal and we would cross our fingers on the weather in February.
What a delight when the weather on Saturday was superb and then the hotel made it even better.
The location right on the end of the beach was perfect and the quality and service of the hotel couldn't be faulted.
If you are looking for a location for a special event this should be on your list

Room Tip: Sea views to die for
  • Stayed: February 2018, travelled as a couple
BrendHotels, General Manager at Saunton Sands Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 February 2018

How wonderful that you managed to catch such lovely weather during your stay at Saunton. I'm so pleased that the location and service exceeded your expectations, and I do hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the future. Anthony Kingdon

Reviewed 14 February 2018

We thought this seemed like the perfect hotel for a luxurious spa retreat over the winter period. My wife is pregnant, and we needed some relaxation time - we received a package deal as a Christmas gift, including a night at the hotel, full use of the facilities and a three course meal.

Upon checking in, we enquired as to what spa treatments were available, and were told to enquire in the spa area. Later, we explored the hotel, and were surprised to see the indoor pool drained! We went back to reception, and were again surprised to hear all the pools in the hotel were currently closed! So much for a relaxing spa retreat!!

Given the time of year, there wasn’t much else to do, so we retired to our room for the afternoon..

Being pregnant, my wife wasn’t feeling so great come dinner time. I spoke to reception, and they said it would be fine to take the meal specified in the package in our room - just call room service. Great!

The room service menu outlined in the welcome binder in our room was expansive, and included some delicious sounding dishes! We spent some time choosing, and I called down to room service. However, speaking to them they had no idea what menu we were reading from! It turned out the menu in their binder was old, and we received a very limited alternative menu with a choice from four starters, around eight mains and three desserts.

After ordering, we promptly received the meal in our room. To be fair, the food was delicious.

The next day, on checkout some sort of error occurred which resulted in us being charged for the meal! I pointed out that the food was supposed to be included in the package, and part of the room service order was taken off. A second error in the bill almost saw us paying even more, but this was a genuine error when they entered the amount to pay into the machine! Third time lucky, and we were checked out.

When we got back home, looking at the receipt we saw a £5 charge for using room service, which is fair enough, plus a £16 “extras” charge, which wasn’t explained at the time! We can only think this was for dessert, which was supposed to be included in the package..

All in all disappointing, and not at all relaxing!!

• Stayed: January 2018, travelled as a couple
2  Thank John B
BrendHotels, General Manager at Saunton Sands Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 February 2018

I am sorry that your stay was not as you expected. Having checked your reservation, which you booked through Travel Zoo, it was non refundable and non transferable. However, you did contact us to move your booking, which we were not obliged to do, but as a goodwill gesture we moved it due to your change in your circumstances. Because of this change in dates, it subsequently coincided with the refurbishment of our indoor swimming pool; this information would have been sent to you prior to your arrival via our automated email.
Room service menus are available in all bedrooms; occasionally these are changed or replaced with an alternative menu. I was sorry to read that you felt this limited, although I was pleased to read that you enjoyed the food. Anthony Kingdon

Reviewed 11 February 2018

We have been here several times as a family as it’s always worked so well and has been a lovely relaxing break. We have just returned but unfortunately this time it was not so family friendly. We have always eaten in the terrace bar in the evening as it meant it suited everyone’s needs in a relaxing environment, this time however we discovered they no longer do meals in here in the evening, so it made it very difficult to eat as a family. The children’s menu finishes at 630pm, and the only option after that is for children to choose from the main restaurant menu. There wasn’t anything suitable for young children on here. We wanted to enjoy our evening and make the most of our time here but found it to be a huge rush as our only option was to get to the restaurant at 615pm, to ensure our children could have an evening meal. We would of very much liked the option to dine later on and as a family. We are not sure if we will return with this new arrangement in place. I’m sure not everyone with children wants to eat before 630pm or pay up to £34 for your child to have a main course!

Stayed: February 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank Hobnobs10
BrendHotels, General Manager at Saunton Sands Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 February 2018

I am sorry that your stay was not a enjoyable as previously, and that you felt restricted in relation to your dining options.
We serve our children's menu from 12 noon until 6.30pm in both the main restaurant and the lounge. Our Terrace menu and Lite Bites also run during this period offering a full menu.
Your children are more than welcome to dine in the restaurant after 6.30pm and we are more than happy to simplify the dinner menu for our younger clientele.
For children on dinner, bed and breakfast, there is no additional charge for dinner if they dine from the adult menu. For residents whose stay does not include dinner, children are charged at half the adult price.
From March to October our Beachside Grill is also available for families who wish to dine later, in a less formal atmosphere.
Thank you for taking the time to bring your observations to my attention.
Your sincerely, Anthony Kingdon

Reviewed 5 February 2018

Had a fantastic three night stay. The staff went above and beyond their duty to ensure we had a wonderful time. Mike in particular was incredibly helpful and really made our stay memorable. The food was utterly delicious, the head chef and his team are to be admired. Breakfast was a delight, plenty of choice, all freshly prepared buffet style, hot food served with a smile. The poached eggs were cooked to perfection. The location is perfect with amazing sea views, ideal for walking even in wild cold weather. I can not recommend this hotel high enough. I will definitely return.

Stayed: February 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Trish R
BrendHotels, General Manager at Saunton Sands Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 February 2018

I'm delighted to hear that your three night stay at Saunton was such a success and thank you for your recommendation - we agree that it's a stunning spot to visit during the wintry weather. I will pass your kind comments on to Mike. We were so pleased to welcome head chef Mathias Oberg to the team last year, so I'm glad the food exceeded your expectations. I look forward to seeing you back at the hotel soon. Anthony Kingdon

Reviewed 30 January 2018

Stayed in late January. Weather was pretty wild but nevertheless a great stay.

Fabulous views and walks on the beach. Great hotel with attentive staff. Sunday night menu a real disappointment. Décor Art Nouveau and very easy on the eye.

Room Tip: Sea view was great but didn't see other views.
  • Stayed: January 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank greekofil
BrendHotels, General Manager at Saunton Sands Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 February 2018

Thank you for your review - it can be really quite dramatic here at Saunton in the winter can't it? I'm so glad you enjoyed the views, surroundings and atmosphere at the hotel. What a shame that the Sunday night menu did not meet your expectations. I would have liked to have known about it on the night so as to try and resolve the issue. Anthony Kingdon