“Enjoyable but..”

Bay Tree Restaurant
Ranked #12 of 16 Restaurants in St Peter
Cuisines: British
Reviewed 21 August 2018 via mobile

Often visit here when we have over from England, it’s nice to visit the garden centre and then have a bite to eat in close proximity to the airport for arrival/departure

The food is always nice with good portion sizes. However the cutlery, cups, glasses and plates etc are really not very clean! Have had to ask for new drinks glasses.

The staff are relatively helpful, but waiting to order and have your food can take a while.

Reviewed 31 July 2018

Empty restaurant: on ordering an English breakfast, I asked for eggs to be switched for something else, I was advised that as the restaurant did not do substitutions I would have to pay extra for the swap. I reasoned that as the restaurant was empty, could the chef assist on this occasion? I was advised no, so I went elsewhere.

Reviewed 28 June 2018

Had lunch with my sister.
I had Carbonara, source thin and watery, no taste. Bacon under-cooked and pink in colour. Pasta OK.
My sister had a baked potato with cheese. The cheese was a great dollop in the potato, not good.
Very disappointed will not eat here again.
Garden centre was nice.

Reviewed 18 June 2018 via mobile

After not visiting for years (several bad experiences, friend had mound on tuna etc) we thought we’d give it another try as we love the garden center here. Unfortunately it’s just as bad as before. The restaurant was basically empty and 4 waiting staff were working, it still took 20 minutes for our order to be taken. We ordered a pot of tea for two and two basic meals. We had a good view of the service area from where we were seated and witnessed the waiter use his bare hands to remove we assumed a hair from another tables tea cup , he wipes his fingers all around the inside, he also touched the top of two straws before putting them in customers glasses. We had to wait ages for our pot of tea and food. I had the Caesar salad - it was ok but far too much iceberg lettuce (wrong lettuce to use anyway!). We also had a bread basket - bread was stale!

Reviewed 17 June 2018 via mobile

We’ve been here a few times now experiencing poor service on most occasions. This time we were served by someone who couldn’t understand English at all. Taking my order was so painstaking I just ordered for my daughter and left it at that. Another waitress came over to clarify what I’d ordered as she didn’t understand what the first waiter had written, I complained about the first waiter and she agreed with me and told me it was difficult to work with him - not my problem!

My daughter’s food arrived and whilst she was eating I watched another table getting told off for putting up the parasol (provided by the cafe) to get some shade. They were told it was too windy and that leaving it up was against the law! There was barely any wind and we were all amazed at the response after the waitress wrote down their order and almost threw it at them.

Never again.