1,441 results
All reviews jazz night montana restaurant fire station jazz bar live jazz lovely hotel white company bath towels town centre first class cooked breakfast would stay again no air conditioning large bathroom short break breakfast room family room
Reviewed 4 January 2017

Christmas day lunch was awful not traditional at all.Dry and tasteless.Free range Norfolk turkey No way!
A wet mess of red cabbage, two carrots and rock hard roast potatoes finished with a dried out Christmas pudding.Award winning chef? Got to be kidding.
Drinks a rip off. A bad experience in all.

• Stayed: December 2016, travelled as a couple
5  Thank austin66
Reviewed 3 January 2017 via mobile

From the website description I was under the impression that the hotel had undergone a full refurbishment. Not so. The room we had was old and tired and when we spoke to staff about it they informed us that some rooms had been refurbished but not all. The hotel was quite cold highlighted when a young girl behind the bar had to wear an overcoat!!!!! The rooms don't have their own thermostat so we couldn't get the room any warmer. The food was ok and most of the staff cheerful enough. I would say this is a good 3 star hotel, not a 4 star. This was our second stay in the last couple of years and I probably wouldn't return. Shame as it used to be a top hotel.

Stayed: December 2016, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Dave P
Reviewed 2 January 2017

I stayed 3 nights at this hotel and I was well surprised by warm welcoming, very good food and comfortable rooms. The hotel was recently refurbished, it's at 10 minutes walking by heart of the town. The food was excellent, and we really did enjoy ourselves as the waiters were all very friendly and helpful.
The hotel staff are just absolutely brilliant and are so funny. Main shopping area and promenade of St. Helier are all within a 7 minutes casual stroll of the Hotel.

• Stayed: December 2016, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 January 2017

Like the previous reviewer, rugbyjez, we too booked and paid for our Christmas meal well in advance and expected a high standard from this hotel... How wrong we were!
The menu included a "Welcome Drink" of Champagne; we were shown to a table in the Conservatory for pre-lunch drinks, but there was no sign of the promised champagne at our or any of the other tables.Instead we were asked for our drinks orders.
We didn't ask about the welcome drink, but in hindsight we should have.
Determined to enjoy our Christmas Day, we let it go, and ordered drinks. A large group at a nearby table who arrived after we had our drinks, asked for their champagne instead of ordering from the (pricey) bar, and got theirs. We heard the waiter telling them the champagne would be served in the dining room when we went in to eat... like others, we had ordered wine for the table, so serving the "Welcome Drink" at that stage seems a strange idea.
My partner ordered a pint of lager. It was warm. The waiter discovered the cooler had not been switched on. He apologised and gave him a chilled bottled lager instead, "on the House" - or so we thought, because they then proceeded to bring a cold pint later, to our dining table (with glasses of champers, and wine already on the table) unasked for, to replace the warm pint - which they then added to our bill.
I'd asked for a gin & soda. I received a small gin and a bottle of soda. Later, we were charged for a very expensive Double Bombay Sapphire gin, which I did not ask for, and I certainly didn't have! It certainly was not a double anything!
This was just the start of a catalogue of disasters which our Christmas Lunch turned out to be!
The Lunch:
Our soup was very nice. The sorbet had melted, but - no big deal. Then came the main course. It can only be described as nothing at all like the Traditional Christmas Lunch it had been advertised as! In fact we both tried a few mouthfuls and gave up.
The "Free Range Norfolk Bronze Turkey" was 2 slices of a rolled, processed loaf, heavily soaked through with wet, dark red cabbage. . The 2 small roast potatoes had obviously been re-heated or sat for some while under a heater, as the skins were extremely difficult to even cut through, while the insides were very overcooked and soft. They, along with 2 carrots, were the only vegetables. Traditional? To whom? Where were the Sprouts? The roasted parsnips? Virtually no gravy. No point requesting any, to pour over such an unappetising plate,
The Christmas pudding was dry - literally, with only a tiny bit of cream under the pudding, which looked like it had come out of a small microwaveable pot. Once I'd put the tons of almonds and the knob of butter on the side of my dish, I asked for extra cream so I could at least moisten the thing.
We just wanted to pay our drinks bill and escape from the dining room, the hotel and the whole experience as fast as we could, not sour our day with complaining. Besides, as we can see from the previous reviewer it would not have achieved anything.

Stayed: December 2016, travelled as a couple
7  Thank MaggieJean15
Reviewed 30 December 2016

We booked here as we had relatives who had dined here before on Christmas Day and had said it was very good. There were 12 of us in ages ranging from 8rs old to my mother of 87 years old. The layout of the table suprised us but we thought its a busy day so didnt comment on it.The starters were very poorly presented, but again we all decided its Christmas Day and they are busy!!The sorbets came and we drank them as they had all melted, again we let that go, big mistake!!!The Christmas lunch which was Turkey was absolutely awful. Our meals were cold, the turkey was the dark meat, no one had any white meat, and it was covered in red cabbage which was inside the turkey,there was little gravy. We were not offered any cranberry sauce or any other condiments.We had ordered wine when we sat down which was left on our table, we then had to ask a busy waiter when our main courses arrived if it could be opened!! The waiter that i complained to was very helpful and asked what they could do to improve our meal, but there was very little that could be done!!The christmas puddings then arrived, and they were tastless and the small amount of cream was underneath the puddings when we asked for it.My sister asked for brandy custard but was told they had run out. By this time we had enough and i complained again, the person in charge offered to bring out the head chef to us, but he refused to speak to us. We were offered wine and a round of liquors but as there only 5 people out of 12 that were drinking alcohol this was a trivial gesture.I must say the guy who dealt with us was very sympathetic and said that he had bought us a bottle of wine out of his own pocket as he was upset for us.A waitress serving at the next table also commented that she felt sorry for us. My mother ordered def coffee and several of us ordered coffees which never arrived. My mother is still upset she had paid fully upfront a few weeks before. We have emailed Mr Lora and my mother has spoken to him who refuses to acknowledge our complaints. In fact he said he personally oversaw what left thethe kitchen, if that was the case whydidnt he make himself known to us when we complained.He also stated that him and his staff gave up their Christmas Day for us.....yes you work in hospitality both myself and my husband have also done this in the past. He also stated no other tables complained that day, well that might be the case but ours was not to an acceptable standard, was it because we were on the last sitting!!!We have never received an apology from Mr Lora in fact the opposite, he has offered my mother a meal for4 people when the Savoy reopens in February which my mother has said she will never return there nor will any of us. Mr Lora,s treatment of the situation is not professional, my mother did ask for compensation in returning some of the money which he has said he will never do that, personally the remainder of the party are not bothered about, an admittance and an apology would have sufficed. I do not like putting bad reviews but he has left us with no alternative, i,m afraid that once again, it is the attitude which has crept into Jersey of ....if you dont like it..tough.

• Stayed: December 2016, travelled with family