“Overpriced and overrated”

Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 6 April 2018

I recently visited this establishment for my wife's birthday and was disappointed with the service and prices. I have been a client for many years and always found it to be excellent however in the last year, the service/standard has dropped and not what I expect from a "Michelin Standard" restaurant. On the night in question, it was very busy and I feel that the staff couldn't cope with the volume of clients. Waiters were having to squeeze past tables that had been added to deal with the numbers. An example of the poor service was one of my quests being offered fish knifes when she was having melon, the gentlemen being served before the ladies and continually having to request wine glasses to be topped up. Not great Capannina... you can do better and need to restrict numbers to ensure your standards don't drop.

1  Thank Ian M

Reviewed 13 March 2018

What a fabulous place. One of the best meals that I have ever had. The dining room itself was beautifully laid out and interestingly with in the main round tables always best for a group. Spotless white tablecloths and cosy intimate décor. The service was impeccable with napkins and finger dishes replaced during the meal for the gambas dishes. The speciality dish was saddle of lamb which was awesome. A wide variety of fresh vegetables were on offer along with many vegetarian options. In our party of eight everyone enjoyed the food with every dish rated superb. The menu itself had such variety you would be forever sampling everything. The Barolo wine with the meal again top class. With a great selection of desserts I have run out of superlatives. I can't wait to go back. You have go there......

Reviewed 10 March 2018 via mobile

I have been here many times and the food has always been excellent. Traditional Italian food with excellent service. The restaurant has a warm, cosy feel to it. They also have an extensive wine list. It can be very busy so I would recommend making a reservation on a Friday or Saturday night.

Reviewed 3 February 2018

We visited La Capanina for my wife,s birthday web had,nt been for a long time.
Steve hadn't been. But everything was superb.

Reviewed 22 January 2018

First class as always, otherwise we would not keep returning. Friendly, good service, good food. Cappanina always delivers. It is consistent and it’s traditional unchanged offering is much appreciated. Very expensive so only for special occasions.