eDreams
Gerard H
Armagh, United Kingdom

Coffee Break

1.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed 28 Sept 2021via mobile
We went on a day trip to Achill Ireland and stopped at this hotel for morning coffee. This hotel is very dated and needs a serious face lift. The coffee was from a machine and not good. The scone was stale (possibly from the day before)

The bathrooms were like an outhouse and had a sign informing that they were for customers only and not a public convenience as the business was small and family owned.

I would recommend avoiding
Date of stay: September 2021
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
eDreams
Gold Experience Room
30.3 km from Achill Sound Hotel- Ostan Gob A'Choire
11.9 km from Achill Sound Hotel- Ostan Gob A'Choire
View more hotels in Achill Sound
See what travellers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed 9 August 2021

Thank you Peter and all his family and staff. The hospitality was above and beyond. You made us feel very welcome. The food was excellent. This was the best real food on my two week holiday trip from Wicklow to Achill. I wish I had found as many premises that care about what is served to their customers . Well done for all your efforts. My little girl loved it and our group of four easily agree it was the best ending to our staycation. I would highly recommend a visit. I would definitely return.

Date of stay: August 2021
Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 17 August 2020

The place needs a serious overhaul... if the overpriced below average food doesn’t make enough money sell the place and let someone else bring it into modern times. Useless WiFi, TV’s from 1985 in each room, smell of damp everywhere...the lost goes on.
Achill was scenically beautiful but the place needs about 15-20 decent places for food as it’s abysmal.

Date of stay: August 2020
Trip type: Travelled solo
1  Thank whataboutya
Reviewed 6 August 2020

Shocking to see the manager wear his visor up on his forhead as he came to take the order. Only one waitress wearing a mask complete lack of customer protection. Food average. I can only say I will never return

Date of stay: August 2020
Trip type: Travelled solo
1  Thank F805JFnadiak
Reviewed 30 July 2020

As a Mayo man who spent all his summers in Achill I was looking forward to visiting this hotel and enjoying it's hospitality, which I remember fondly from my youth. Coming from Spain, I expected a warm Irish welcome, which we got got from the charming and always helpful barman/waiter Barry, who could not have been nicer or more accommodating. He was a great source of information regarding places to see in the area but was told, in no uncertain terms, to stop interacting with the customers (for me the most pleasing thing about Irish hospitality) and to get back to 'work'. It was a shame, because he was the highlight of our experience in this hotel. The management were curt to the point of rudeness, the food was distinctly average, and we left with a bad taste in our mouths, both literally and metaphorically. Service is key to the hospitality industry in these uncertain times and I know from managing bars and restaurants over the years that you are only as good as your staff. We wont be coming back, but suggest you put time into training staff to the level of the young man who served us with curtesy and politeness, and who deserves a better working environment. I'll always come back to Achill, but it will need a big shake up for me to come to this hotel again.

Date of stay: July 2020
1  Thank thethoughtfox
Reviewed 29 July 2020 via mobile

Visited the Achill Sound Hotel for a meal at very short notice and the staff were very accommodating and so friendly! We were a group of seven. The food was delicious, as were the pints of Guinness! Very good menu, plenty of variety. We felt very safe as regards social distancing with covid etc. Will definitely be back. The person who booked for our group was given a fridge magnet as a small token and it was really appreciated - it's the little things! Will definitely be returning, will be telling family and friends and would recommend to anyone visiting Achill Island!

Date of stay: July 2020