“Not a 5 star hotel”

Druids Glen Hotel & Golf Resort
“Not a 5 star hotel”
Reviewed 17 February 2012

No turn down service, no breakfast room cards, food in bar only average - had a vanilla creme brûlée but no taste of vanilla, had worst chicken wings ever with no dipping bowl or wipes. Decor in bar and restaurant not very opulent as you would expect from 5 star. We left and dined in Gordon ramseys restaurant in powerscourt nearby. This was real 5 star luxurious surroundings

• Stayed February 2012
1 Thank Orlamcn

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (317)
  • Polish first
Kinsale, Ireland
Reviewed 17 February 2012

Four of us stayed at this hotel for two nights during the month of February. It was a mid-week break that we were lucky to get at a reduced rate. Our first impression was how well laid out the hotel and grounds were. The entrance was well designed and very impressive. Plenty of car parking very close to the hotel. The staff were all very friendly and checking in was done in a matter of minutes. Our rooms were on the lower level and they looked out onto lovely gardens. The rooms are air conditioned. Two queen beds in each room and very spacious bedrooms and bathrooms. Large plasma tv on the wall was an added bonus compared to the tiny tv's in most hotels. There were robes and slippers in the closet and tea/coffee and bottles of water in each room. The rooms were very clean and we could not find any fault with them. We heard no outside noise during the night and the room was dark and peaceful - so ensuring a good night of sleep. Breakfast was a feast - full Irish breakfast as well as multiple choice cereals and continental items. Spacious dining room and very obliging staff. We ate in the bar during the evening and though the choice was limited - the food was very nice. Once again, staff were more than obliging and went out of their way to make sure everything was ok. The leisure centre was very busy during our stay as was the spa so we would recommend booking spa early on or even before you arrive. We walked around the grounds and by the river and it was so beautiful. The grounds are very well kept and the golf course runs along by the river. We would recommend the walk as it is so lovely. Altogether the whole experience was top class and we fully recommend this hotel unreservedly.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Bettytrollop12
Drogheda, Ireland
Reviewed 15 February 2012

We had a 2 night stay at this lovely hotel, just 20 minutes or so south of Dublin city. We were on a Pigsback deal, which gave us 2 nights B&B with a bottle of wine included, €30 off a Spa treatment and €30 off the restaurant.

We had a lovely big room, with a flat screen TV, a good size fridge, a decent safe that held handbag/camera etc, two VERY comfortable double beds with crisp cotton sheets, an iron & ironing board, complimentary bottled water and tea & coffee making facilities with shortbread included!

Bathroom was a good size, clean, and well stocked with shampoo/conditioner/shower gel/soap and shower cap. There was a separate shower from the bath, which I was really pleased about!

The air conditioning worked well, unlike some other hotels that are too hot or too cold. We were able to open the window a little too and again this was welcome as I hate to stay at a hotel where I can't get fresh air into the room.

The swimming pool was a good size and not too chilly. There was a lane set aside for people who wanted to be able to swim lengths and it wasn't too bust at any point so this was good. The jacuzzi was pleasant, and the steam rooms (there were two). I didn't use the sauna but my other half did and he thought that it was fine. There was a plunge pool too, and I stayed well away from that!

Didn't use the gym but again my other half did. It's not terribly big, but then it wasn't too busy either so he had easy access to the treadmills and the bikes.

I had a hot stone massage in the Spa and this was quite nice. I have had better hot stone massages in other Spa's but I would be nit picking to say that it was substandard.

The food was one of the best things about the hotel. Truly excellent! Breakfast was very varied and everything tasted really good. (Pudding a little dry for my liking, but there was plenty to choose from, so I just left this aside). There was also a chef preparing omelettes and pancakes and poached eggs were available to order if required. There was lovely smoked salmon each morning too, and a good selection of breads etc.

We had two evening meals and I have to say that they were above the standard I was expecting. To be honest, the scallops for starter were very disappointing. At €15 for three small scallops I thought that I was being short changed, but the rest of the food that we ordered made up for it. I had venison on the first night and it was exquisite! My husband had stuffed pork and it was so good that he ordered it again on the second night!

Wines were pricey at €25 and up, but we had the one that was recommended via a card left on the table (a French Vionnier) and it was really delicious.

The staff were very friendly and very helpful throughout the hotel and we felt that we were made feel very welcome there.

I would certainly look forward to returning again and I would have no hesitation in recommending the hotel to others.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Berniebobcat
Ireland
Reviewed 15 February 2012

While staying in Newtownmountkennedy recently we popped up to the Druids Glen for a walk and a few drinks.
The service was excellent,the afternoon tea was excellent (and the kitchen accommodated an early request as it didn’t start till 3!). This is what 5 start service is to me, its accommodating the customer!
Hotel itself is lovely and set in lovely grounds and very relaxed atmosphere in the bar/lounge.
One small complaint we sat to the back of the bar/lounge area beside the window overlooking the golf course and the river to the back of the hotel and there was a very strong draft in this area and I was slightly chilly during my stay.
We will definitely be back for a stay next time!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank kchIreland
Ireland
Reviewed 14 February 2012

Stayed for a sat night at the end of Jan as it was our wedding anniversary. Were delighted to be upgraded to an executive suite as we were celebrating a special occasion. There was a lovely card and a small box of chocs in the room which was a lovely touch. The check in staff were most friendly and efficient.
The room was huge, a seperate sitting room and bedroom and a large bathroom. The heating in the room could of been a bit better, was quite cool in the room but a little electric heater had been plugged in so we turned that up and soon heated up.
We had dinner in the restaurant and I can't fault it, the food was fantastic and the service was second to none. We even got a "Happy Anniversary" wrote on our dessert plate, nice touch! Breakfast was equally as good. A large selection of food, hot and cold buffets, made to order pancakes and omlettes, definately something to suit everyone you could not leave the Druids Glen hungry.
A delightful stay so I have rebooked a night in June for my husbands 50th birthday so really looking forward to a return visit, this time with the kids so will try out the leisure centre.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
12.8 km away
The Royal Hotel and Merrill Leisure Club
12.3 km away
The Martello Hotel

Been to Druids Glen Hotel & Golf Resort? Share your experiences!