Ways to Experience Vagabond Tours
from US$3,328.64
from US$1,754.00
from US$2,063.87
More Info
All reviews small group tour day tour off the beaten path northern ireland vagabond tour world tour blarney castle giants causeway sea kayaking irish culture traveling solo lunch and dinner wild rover tour driftwood accommodations company van
Selected filters
Reviewed 13 October 2021

On September 19, 2021 my wife and I met with our guide Tim Orr to begin our Driftwood - 7 Day Tour of Castles. It was our first tip to Ireland and we chose the absolute best touring company and were lucky enough to be blessed with a fantastic tour guide. I would rate the Vagabond experience a solid 15 stars and our guide Tim 15 plus stars. we appreciated his energy, knowledge of Irish history and even his singing voice. When asked if he knew the song Seven Drunken Nights he not only knew the song but sang very verse! As a citizen of Ireland by descent he helped me feel that I truly belonged in the land of all my four grandparents. In a way I felt I was "home". Born in America but Irish by blood. As a senior citizen using a rollator/walker to get around, Tim went far and above his duties not only to help me but also to make sure every step I took was safe. This caring attitude ensured our enjoyment. He even climber the stairs of the Blarney Castle to see if I was safe! Tim even helped us arrange tickets for a train trip from Dublin to Galway City with a return by bus and a cab ride to Cobh to see where my grandparents left Eire and where the Titanic picked up its last 123 passengers before in 1912. Every stop on our was appreciated and enjoyed. Vagabond is the BEST tour company in Ireland and their guides are also the BEST. My next tour will be with Vagabond. They are the only way to go!

Date of experience: September 2021
robrankinvagabond, Owner at Vagabond Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 26 October 2021

Hello Tom!

What a delightful review you have given us. It makes everyone in the team here happy to find that you so thoroughly enjoyed your tour. Thank you!

VagaGuide Tim is a special human who we all love and seems to have been a perfect fit for your needs. Your anecdote about his singing abilities made us smile!

Special thanks go to you for making the trip at a time when our small, family-owned company is emerging from a period of turbulence.

We have high hopes for touring in 2022 and would relish the opportunity to welcome you back again.

Reviewed 10 October 2021 via mobile

This is ABSOLUTELY the BEST way to see Ireland! The small group (we had 11) van allows you to go to places big busses cannot access. Our drive/guide, Edwina, was everything we could have asked for and more! She’s very skilled, knowledgeable, fun, funny, friendly, and helpful. We had enough time to visit on scheduled stops without being rushed or trying to kill time. Each hotel was different and all were very nice. My husband was in a manual wheelchair, and he was accommodated and able to enjoy the trip in comfort. We met 9 strangers that felt like family by the end of the tour. I would 1000% travel with them again!

Date of experience: October 2021

Thank you for your kind review, Shannon. We always aim for our guests to leave Ireland loving it as much as do. And in your case, it seems Edwina and the whole team have absolutely achieved this.

We are especially appreciative that you and your husband visited us in Ireland off the back of a challenging year for tourism. Thank you for the effort!

We would be delighted to welcome you back to Ireland again in the future.

Reviewed 2 October 2021 via mobile

Great relaxed 11 day Ireland tour with our excellent guide Damien We enjoyed most of the hotels in spite of the Covid restrictions and loved the small group experience. We enjoyed our stops from archaeology, beautiful landscapes, excellent meals to politics in northern Ireland.
I had some mobility problems but I was always able to enjoy the tour managing those sites with a cane and my husbands arm At a couple of places I chose to go and eat lunch in the pub instead.If the climb was too steep or the terrain too rough . No problem
I ioved the fact we didn’t have to leave at the crack of dawn like so many tour groups but had time to enjoy the area around the hotel or even to get up a little later. The places we visited were all interesting. I can’t recommend this tour enough

Date of experience: September 2021
robrankinvagabond, Owner at Vagabond Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 7 October 2021

Hi Jenniger, thank you so much for your lovely review and kind words about your 11 Day Driftwood Tour.

As you found out, Damien is one of our star VagaGuides and an absolutely legendary human being! I am delighted that you guys got on well together.

I'm particularly happy to hear that your experience wasn't negatively affected by any mobility issues.

Your business is much appreciated at a challenging time for Irish tourism. We really, truly appreciate your visit and would love to welcome you both back to Ireland at some point in the future.

Reviewed 23 September 2021

This was my second tour with Vagabond. I did the 8 day Wild Rover tour in 2019 and planned to do this one last year, but of course, had to reschedule. I was a bit apprehensive due to Covid, but I didn't want to wait another year. Traveling solo, I knew I'd be in great hands with Vagabond, but this tour exceeded my expectations by 1000%!

Leading up to the tour, the communication and Covid updates from Vagabond were excellent. There were some travel restrictions announced right before my tour, and Rob Rankin, the owner of Vagabond, personally answered my emails, assuring me that all was well.

The tour began at the Grand Canal Hotel in Dublin early on Sunday morning. I was greeted by Rob Rankin, and was so impressed that he took the time to see everyone off. One of the great things about Vagabond is the 4x4 vans they use, which really do go off the beaten path, far from the large tour buses. There was only one other couple on my tour and our guide, Andrew was warm and funny right from the start. I had emailed Emma at Vagabond about my ancestry prior to the tour; my 6th great grandfather, Patrick McSherry was born in Newry in 1725 and I had asked whether we'd be driving through there on our first day. She replied that it wasn't a scheduled stop, but that she would mention it to our guide. Andrew kindly took the time to go into the town and gave me extra time to visit a cathedral, which was coincidentally named St. Patrick's! That was just the start of an amazing week. He went SO far above and beyond on every step of the tour, from booking lunch and dinner every day, to hiking with us and booking activities that we wanted to do. He was funny (I laughed til I cried!), kind and caring, and incredibly knowledgeable on the history of every town and place we visited. His stories and fables kept us entertained, which I loved hearing. He even knew the history of the wells of St. Patrick that we visited.

It's hard to say what my favorite part of the tour was...every day was fantastic and a new adventure! The tragic history of Northern Ireland was so interesting. Andrew suggested a great hike at the Giants Causeway, which took us up to cliffs overlooking the ocean. He arranged for us to kayak in Sheepshaven Bay in Dunfanaghy, which was amazing! I loved Donegal and Slieve League. On the last day, we all hiked Croagh Patrick, with beautiful views of Clew Bay.

If you’re looking for a small group tour that’s adventurous, takes you to places no other tour company does, want to have a ton of fun and learn the history and wonderful fables of Ireland, then I can’t recommend Vagabond highly enough. I will surely return for tour #3!

Thanks a MILLION to Vagabond for being the BEST tour company in Ireland AND to Andrew, for the MOST wonderful week in Ireland that I ever could’ve imagined!

Date of experience: September 2021
vagaboss, Owner at Vagabond Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 24 September 2021

Thank You So Much Jane!

Not only for you incredibly-worded 5 star review but also for your continued support for Vagabond Tours through this challenging era for tourism.

We are so delighted that you were patient with us, waited through your cancelled tour last year and stuck with us to tour Ireland again in September.

You had a gem of a tour guide in Andrew. One of our goals is to be as flexible as we can out on the road. I'm particularly happy to hear that he was able to bring you to a site of your family heritage in Newry.

I was satisfied that my schedule allowed me to personally see off our tours this year and to answer your concerns directly by email. We aim to be offer direct and personalised service wherever possible.

Hopefully we will see you again soon back in Ireland - for your third tour!

Reviewed 18 September 2021

7-Day Magnetic North Adventure Tour

Three years ago, we did the 7-Day World Tour with our grown children – who said this was the "best vacation ever"! My husband and I enjoyed it so much, we booked Vagabond, this time focusing on the north and again, we were not disappointed. First, let me say that frequent communication was key to overcoming the travel challenges due to COVID. Originally booked for 2020, Vagabond allowed us to rebook, applying our deposit to our 2021 trip. Over the past 18 months, owner Rob sent regular emails with general updates regarding the current situation in Ireland so we always had accurate, and up-to-date information regarding our ability to travel. Back in the office, Emma kept us informed about our specific tour, travel requirements and forms, and COVID testing protocols, etc. She helped us to navigate where and when testing was needed and provided a listing of testing centers within walking distance of our hotels so we could travel into Northern Ireland and back home to the USA without issue. We received an immediate response to every email, answered all of our questions professionally, and was a huge help to us during the pre-trip planning phase.

Our tour started on time with Andrew as our guide. Throughout the week, he shared information about the sites, local lore, and historical facts. He told us endless stories and fables as we were travelling through Antrim, Londonderry, Donegal, Sligo, Mayo, and Rosscommon, giving us a real sense of true Ireland. His smile, his energy, and his enthusiasm for his job and Vagabond as a company, were never-ending. He treated us like royalty and made sure we were taken care of the entire tour. Andrew worked very hard to make reservations and reconfirm bookings for all our excursions and dinners. During our tour we celebrated our 36th wedding anniversary. Andrew went out of his way and bought us a cake to celebrate and played music while we danced outside the ringfort of Grianan of Aileach. That will be a memory of a lifetime. Some of the other trip highlights were hiking up Croag Patrick and Slieve League, sea kayaking in Inishtown, the Black Cab tour in Belfast, and of course the Giant’s Causeway. The accommodations and the people that run them were equally outstanding. The two that really stood out to us were Londonderry Arms where Churchill stayed and the beautiful Mount Falcon Estate.

Whether you are a first timer or going back to Ireland to explore more of what the country has to offer, we highly recommend Vagabond. Sure, you can visit Ireland on your own, but why not “experience” all of Ireland through the guides who live and work there. Vagabond offers something for everyone – adventure tours for active folks and more relaxing tours for those who enjoy taking it all in. You won’t be disappointed!

Date of experience: September 2021

Wow! Thanks SO much Merle.

Your kind words have really warmed our hearts.

As a result of disruption caused by restrictions, your review is among the first that we have received and gratefully read in nearly two years.

You stuck with us through the rough ride that was 2020 and all of the uncertainty of 2021. And hopefully your patience has now been rewarded with a wonderful tour with VagaGuide Andrew.

We are always delighted to hear back from happy guests and the 5 star reviews never get old.

Hope to welcome you back for a third tour in the future. Who knows, maybe your kids can come back next time too!