Ways to Experience Vagabond Tours
from US$3,527.13
from US$1,858.60
from US$2,186.94
More Info
All reviews small group day tour northern ireland small tour tour group his knowledge fellow travelers exceeded expectations wonderful tour great sense of humor historic sites highly recommend this company mark driftwood itinerary accommodations guide
Selected filters
Reviewed 14 April 2016 via mobile

We just recently completed our 8 day wild rover tour of Southern Ireland. I found Vagabond by googling "small group Irish tours". From there I looked at rating with Trip Advisor....I was excited to see how amazingly rated Vagabond tours was.....and I can see why.

The trip was led by Mark who has been with Vagabond for a number of years and a professional guide/driver for much longer. We also had three trainees Tom, Kevin and Connor. Our trip only had three guests. I was pleasantly surprised when Mark informed us the trip would still go based on Vagabonds policy of not canceling tours once booked. I was already impressed before we even left the pick-up point. A typical tour company would have canceled or moved us to a different trip.

Our trip completed a clockwise tour of Southern Ireland. See the Vagabond website for sample itinerary. I say sample because you have input on the sites. Mark asked us regularly if there was something we wanted to see or do. When there is an opportunity to take a hike....do it. We were not disappointed at all. The views continued to impress. One morning we awoke to snow on the ground. While many travelers hope for good weather on vacation this created a Kodak moment for us.

Since we were on a small tour (with four wheel drive) the guides put the gearbox in low and up the hill we went. Our group was treated with a snow capped Neolithic period burial sites. Very cool. A few minutes late we were talking with local ranchers pointing us in the direction of our next stop.....hot chocolate and coffee at a small family owned chocolate manufacturing facility. We would have never found these sites on our own. After some sampling and just before we left a tour group in a large coach arrived. We stared in awe at the shear volume of people blindly unloading off the bus....then, the bus moved, and another arrived and unloaded..... I truly came to appreciate our choice of tours when Mark stated "well, it's time to load up and go". Within minutes we were on our way to the next Irish wonder while the hoards formed lines at the bathroom.....

Stories and sites such as these were the norm for the eight days of our trip. The guides performed marvelously avoiding the large tour groups, directing us to the best views and answering any questions which arose. I've traveled the world and stood on all seven continents, this was my wife's first trip out of North America....these guys will provide an amazing trip for travelers of all experience levels.

Date of experience: April 2016
2  Thank jackhoundranch
Reviewed 6 April 2016

It's been about a week since, my husband and I returned from Ireland, and a little over that since we ended our 8 Day Wild Irish Rover Tour, and I'm feeling a little nostalgic as I look through our photos. I miss Ireland already! What a perfect place for a honeymoon! I cannot say enough about the amazing experience we had on the Vagabond tour. This was largely due to our guide Aidan, along with our guides-in-training, Trina and Ciara. They were knowledgeable, adventurous and fun. I loved that we could ask them anything about Irish history or culture without judgement. I'll always remember our little vaga-family fondly and hope to meet them again someday. Experiencing Ireland with this small group was incredible. My husband and I loved the small group size. Staying in the smaller communities also gave my group a better understanding of the history, culture and beauty of the land. I can absolutely say that I enjoyed my time roaming the country much more than I did in the bigger cities. Thanks to our guides and the Vagatron, I didn't have to worry about navigating the rural roads and therefore, experienced many more hidden gems than if I had rented a vehicle and struck out on my own. I would absolutely recommend this tour and company to anyone and everyone!

Date of experience: March 2016
1  Thank Ashley K
Reviewed 4 March 2016

This small, personal, intimate tour was exactly what we had hoped for. . .and beyond. My mother (age 81), myself and a friend took the 7 day tour and loved the small but very clean and nice hotels with full Irish breakfasts as well as the wonderful small group experience. We all became family! Highly recommend Vagabond for touring Ireland. Exceptional!

Date of experience: October 2015
1  Thank Deb E
Reviewed 29 February 2016

We decided to take our blended family of 8 to Ireland. I was looking for a tour as I didn't want to have to nag 6 kids (19,17,15,15,12,11) on timing and planning. When I found Vagabond I was so excited. We went on the Treasure Island tour summer 2015. Having 8 to start, there were only 4 other people on our tour. Paddy and Damian were our guides. They did such a fabulous job taking us to all the noted landmarks but the out of the way places we never would have found on our own or in a big tour bus were so special. Couple of our favorites were...
Our first night was at the delightful Gougane Barra Ballingeary Hotel. The hotel is on a quiet little lake with a cute little chapel on it. It had rained and was overcast...Just beautiful. The next morning we went for a hike in the Gougane Barra Forest. It rained (like most of the trip). We were soaked and cold but it was so amazing it didn't matter. Another moment was Paddy pulling the van over and walking us up a hill and over the top to see the sea (he didn't tell us where we were going). It was exquisite. The arches the sea cut in the stone was beautiful. I could go on and on...honestly there was moment after moment. Did I mention Dingle? My girls wanted to stay forever.
So, I guess to sum up...the kids are still talking about the trip. The only complaint the kids had was that some of the hotels had spotty wifi. (But seriously, who needs wifi in such a beautiful place?) If you are thinking about this tour company...don't hesitate you will not be disappointed. I wish they were in all the countries we want to go to. :)

Date of experience: June 2015
Reviewed 24 February 2016

When looking for a tour of Ireland, we had to accommodate different age groups (27-77yrs). This company has it all, for the adventure side and the leisure side. If we had not gone at the end of September/beginning of October, I would have taken my daughter (12yrs) and she would have been fine. We went with the Driftwood Tours for the 7 Day Treasure Island tour. Our guide, Dee, was very knowledgeable, personable, and engaging. We saw and did so many things but never felt rushed in any of the wonderful places we visited. Maximum people on the tour is 16, but our group was only 11. We were very fortunate as the weather was beautiful for the whole week. No rain for us. The accommodations that accompany this is tour are good. I have told so many people already that they need to visit Ireland and use Vagabond Tours. You will not be sorry!

Date of experience: September 2015