“Blown away by Ballyknocken!”
Review of Ballyknocken House

Ballyknocken House
Ranked #1 of 1 Glenealy B&B and Inns
Dublin, Ireland
“Blown away by Ballyknocken!”
Reviewed 1 April 2012

I recently had the pleasure of being a guest in Ballyknocken as a member of a surprise party for one of my friends. Her husband had arranged a cookery class, dinner and an overnight for her and 3 of her long term pals. What a present that turned out to be! We started with a glass of bubbly and a slice of the most divine lemon cake in a private dining room where we were later to have dinner. Catherine talked us through the history of the property and it was obvious from the get go that this business is a labour of love. The 4 of us then had a private cookery lesson with Catherine and Mary, one of her chefs. The theme was a Taste of Scily and was a truly unique experience. It was all so relaxed and yet so professional. We learnt loads! We then adjourned to aforementioned private dining room where we were joined by birthday girls's fabulous husband and her 2 beautiful daughters. The food was excellent. Well, we had cooked it after all! The staff were very attentive and yet so inobtrusive. Catherine was also very attentive which was remarkable bearing in mind that she had another full dining room of guests, had taught 2 classes that day and had another scheduled for the following day. The accomodation was delightful, all tastefully decorated and in keeping with the period of the property. We had a lovely walk around the herb garden and the rest of the grounds, including the vintage tractors! It's hard to find words to do justice to what an experience in Ballyknocken delivers. Catherine Fulvio and her team are suberb hosts. We are lucky to have her as a true exemplar of all that is the best in the world of culinary and hospitality experiences.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Limerick
Reviewed 28 March 2012

My boyfriend kindly produced a voucher for a cookery class and a nights stay at Ballyknocken house to my utmost surprise! (a rather large hint don't you think). On arrival I was greeted at the door by Catherine Fulvio herself and taken to a room on the first floor of the house. I felt at home straight away as the house has a genuinely cosy warm feeling. In the cookery class I met lots of others who were just like me, useless in the kitchen and through the laughing I learn't tips that I now use every day! All in all I would have no hesitatation in recommending Ballyknocken in the future either for a relaxing night away from it all or the hustle and bustle or the cookery school. If you have the pleasure of going you will have a ball!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 28 November 2011

We stayed here for one night, had a beautiful dinner and I took part in Sunday Morning's cookers class "7 Nights, 7 Meals - 1 Plan".

The dinner was superb, almost too much food. The room was lovely, the service was very efficient and the people were great. I'd strongly recommend attending one of the classes. I'll be back.

Galway, Ireland
Reviewed 20 November 2011

Just returned from nights stay and cookery lesson and absolutely loved it! Went with my boyfriend who gave me the weekend for my birthday and I think it really was lovely. We arrived in the evening and really enjoyed the 4 course menu...every course was delicious. If you're looking for the hotel thing this isn't really for you, but we loved the homely feel to the place and the personal touches! The service was really sweet and suited the atmosphere perfectly!

The lesson in the morning was really fun too! We did the Italian one which involved cooking pasta which was really good. The teaching was excellent, and the recipes will be used again! Catherine herself was really really nice and very personable, she even offered to drop us down to the local petrol station to get petrol!

Overall we had a really great weekend and we'd love to go back again soon!

1 Thank LauraWylie55
Bangor, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 November 2011

Catherine Fulvio runs both the Guest House and the Cookery School at Ballyknocken House which is set up in the Wicklow Mountains. My wife’s birthday present was to attend one of Catherine’s Cookery Courses. We drove down the 150 miles (240 Klms) to Wicklow and stayed overnight at the guesthouse with the added advantage of having dinner cooked by Catherine herself…

Dinner was set at 7.30pm and when all the guests (about 14) gathered naturally in the lounge at about 7.15pm, we discovered a decanter of sherry and glasses set out for the guests to help themselves! A great idea, this broke the ice immediately and very soon everyone was chatting away! Just before 7.30pm Catherine herself arrived to say hello and welcome any of the guests she hadn’t already met. Her calm and very charming personality set the tone for the evening. Catherine then talked us through the evening’s dinner menu. This was a set affair which added to the excitement as it’s contents were a surprise to everyone! – such fun, when you’re as good a chef as Catherine you can do that ‘cause everything she cooks will be wonderful – and so it turned out. Catherine took the time to tell us all about the menu describing each course and each element of each course, telling us which herbs etc came from their own gardens. This added to the whole event.

We started with a Antipasti platter at each table to share, with little dishes of Roasted Red Peppers with Thyme, Lemon Hummus and Caponata – which is an Italian dish from Sicily (yum), Green Garden Salad, Serrano Ham and some excellent Roasted Sherry Vinegar Grapes and some homemade Focaccia – all Excellent! Loved the Grapes and the Hummus and the Roasted Red Peppers were to die for!!!

Next came a lovely light Garden Spinach Soup, I think it was made from spinach from their own gardens. We also had some of Mary’s Brown Soda Bread – I’m not sure who Mary was but she can make this bread for me any time.

The main event was a Mustard Glazed Fillet of Pork with Herb stuffing, Glazed Apples with Cava Sauce, Green Mash, Roasted Carrots & Parsnips and some Red Cabbage – in short, everything was just wonderful – I wish I could remember what way the Red Cabbage was cooked – I loved it and it went so well with the pork.

Dessert was actually two desserts! Firstly there was Amaretto Truffle Torte with Amaretto Mascarpone Cream. The torte was definitely a talking point at breakfast the next morning –I must get the recipe for that one. The second dessert (yes we all got two) was Yoghurt Pannacotta with Mixed Berry Compote. A great mix, my wife Loved the torte and I felt the same about the Pannacotta.

Another little treat came in the guise of either a glass of Orangello or a Limoncello, of course we had to have one of each and they were really delicious and I think home made!

We’re saving up to go back again soon!!!

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Glenealy
5.5 km away
16.6 km away
BrookLodge & Macreddin Village
BrookLodge & Macreddin Village
#1 of 1 in Macreddin Village

Been to Ballyknocken House? Share your experiences!