I recently had the pleasure of being a guest in Ballyknocken as a member of a surprise party for one of my friends. Her husband had arranged a cookery class, dinner and an overnight for her and 3 of her long term pals. What a present that turned out to be! We started with a glass of bubbly and a slice of the most divine lemon cake in a private dining room where we were later to have dinner. Catherine talked us through the history of the property and it was obvious from the get go that this business is a labour of love. The 4 of us then had a private cookery lesson with Catherine and Mary, one of her chefs. The theme was a Taste of Scily and was a truly unique experience. It was all so relaxed and yet so professional. We learnt loads! We then adjourned to aforementioned private dining room where we were joined by birthday girls's fabulous husband and her 2 beautiful daughters. The food was excellent. Well, we had cooked it after all! The staff were very attentive and yet so inobtrusive. Catherine was also very attentive which was remarkable bearing in mind that she had another full dining room of guests, had taught 2 classes that day and had another scheduled for the following day. The accomodation was delightful, all tastefully decorated and in keeping with the period of the property. We had a lovely walk around the herb garden and the rest of the grounds, including the vintage tractors! It's hard to find words to do justice to what an experience in Ballyknocken delivers. Catherine Fulvio and her team are suberb hosts. We are lucky to have her as a true exemplar of all that is the best in the world of culinary and hospitality experiences.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Ballyknocken House & Cookery School is scenically located on a 350 acre farm only a short drive from Dublin City Centre in County Wicklow, Ireland This charming four-star Victorian farmhouse boasts seven beautifully appointed rooms, all with period features in a picturesque setting on extensive grounds. This family-run operation has many amenities to offer both on-site and in the surrounding area and is home to award-winning Food Writer & TV Chef, Catherine Fulvio.Set up by Catherine’s mum, Mary, Ballyknocken house offers short and weekly walking packages, taking in the lovely Carrick forest and Mountain, just behind Ballyknocken and of course, the magnificent Wicklow Way Ballyknocken House prides itself on using the finest and freshest local produce. Ballyknocken House is the perfect getaway – whether for a romantic retreat, family vacation or foodie adventure. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com and TripOnline SA so you can book your Ballyknocken House reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Ballyknocken House Hotel Glenealy
- Ballyknocken House Glenealy, Ireland - County Wicklow