The Glendalough Hotel(Glendalough Village)
  • Restaurant
Riversdale House(Glendalough Village)
All reviewsself catering kitchenbunk bedsbooked a private roommixed dormtook forevernew mattressesnecessary amenitiesupper lakemonastic siteplace to stayrooms are cleancommon areasshort walkbus servicelounge areaday hikingtea coffee
Reviewed 20 July 2017 via mobile

Well I just booked the day before and had only the option to sleep seperate.
I was happy there still was room.
But on arrival they suggested a mixed dorm for us, which we gladly accepted.
Very kind and professional staff.
Easy check in and check out.
Would certainly book again

Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 July 2017

I normally take reviews with lightheartedly and quite open minded. Personally, I have stay in a number of hostels over the years (mixed dorms) and fully expect there to be noisy, cold showers, uncomfortable beds etc.

However, this time we decided to stay in a private dorm with an ensuite. (Ignoring how dated the room was and worn carpets). I was really disappointed with the following:

1. The room was dirty. The carpets looked like it hadn't been vacuumed in months! (I don't know if it was broke or something?!)
2. The toilet itself was not properly cleaned. Also, the toilet takes forever to fill after the first flush - although I did read the reason why somewhere else. I think it to be environmentally friend or save water...
(on the plus side, the shower was powerful and hot!)
3. There were cobwebs in the bathroom and on the ceilings.
4. Mattress and pillows were in need of replacement. The springs were gone and there was a noticeable 'dip' in the middle.
The hostel kindly gives you two pillows, but they were both flat.
5. In the morning, if you wish to cook in (the self-cater) you have to wait until the staff turn on the gas (after 8am). Very inconvenient.

I understand there is a high turnover in a hostel, therefore housekeeping maybe not be 100% and located in the rural area, spiders/insects are unavoidable.

But seriously, I am disappointed with the cleanliness of a private room.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank lingboy22
Reviewed 13 July 2017 via mobile

My sister and I stayed in Glendalough International Hostel on 11th July for one night. It is the perfect location for access to the Wicklow Way and the walks surrounding Glenalough. The hostel is basic but provides all the necessary amenities. My sister and I stayed in a private room with ensuite. There is private parking and there is a hotel closeby where we had dinner. I would recommended this Hostel as place to stay as a stop over whilst exploring Wicklow.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 July 2017

I'll start with the good things - the location is really good, there's a very accessorized kitchen if you want to prepare something yourself, the room and the linen were clean.

The bad things:
- The worst thing, which was a deal breaker for us, is that there was a problem flushing the toilet beacuse the toilet tank took a REALLY LONG time to fill up (We stopped counting after 30 minutes). This is very problematic in a room that supposed to contain up to 8 people. We went to the reception and seems that they are aware of the problem and there's nothing they can do and offered to use the hostel public toilet.

- In order to turn on the water in the shower and the sink you constantly need to push a button, very iritating in the shower!

- There's a WI-FI only in the public area

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled with friends
Roy M, Head of Marketing at Glendalough International Youth Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 July 2017

Hi,

Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to leave us a review.

The reason for the push button system is two fold. As a not-for-profit charity with an ethos of increasing awareness of the environment we wanted to ensure that we were not wasting water unnecessarily. Also, a constant flow of water would make the flush system even slower.
However, we will be looking at the water systems to see if we can improve them so thank you very much for letting us know how it effected you.

regards,

Roy

Reviewed 1 July 2017

A group of 10 of us stayed for two nights in the hostel and other friends joined us for lunch and a hike one of the days. We went to celebrate the end of the Junior Cert exams and there were 3 adults and 7 teenagers. It was perfect for us. We enjoyed it hugely. The location of the hostel is fantastic - a short walk to all the hiking trails which are breathtakingly beautiful. Even the teenagers were impressed and said they were worth the effort! The hostel itself has a nice atmosphere and we all felt 'at home' and relaxed. We brought our own food and heated it up or cooked it in the large spotless kitchen. There is a large dining room, a TV room and a large reception room so plenty of places to sit around. The rooms were basic but very adequate and clean and each one has its own bathroom. All of this was great value for money and honestly I don't think we would have been happier in a 5 star hotel.

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled with friends