“Good hotel, excellent location”
Review of Glendalough Hotel

Glendalough Hotel
Reviewed 15 August 2011

Stayed here for the first couple of nights of our honeymoon. Unfortunately, we arrived mid-afternoon on Easter Sunday...watch out if you're driving, as the Hotel Car Park is the main Glendalough car park, and there was no space at all.

However...the hotel was very nice, the food was excellent, and this was a superb base from which to go walking through the Wicklow Mountains. Certainly one I'd have no hesitation in returning to in the future.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 4 August 2011

I have stayed in the hotel many times and frequently end up popping in on an afternoon off, sometimes for a bite in the bar as was the case this weekend.
As I watched one of your senior bar staff clear the table next to us I saw him sweep the remains off the dirty table on to the floor with a bar cloth. I then looked at the [horrible carpet] on the floor and noticed that there was a lot of rubbish all over the place.

I have always loved the location of this hotel being from Dublin and having spent my childhood around Glendalough and the Sally Gap. The hotel itself is pretty bad. No work on it for decades, drab rooms [clean by the way but very depressing]. One of the great things that they do are mid-week offers in the down season. Dinner Bed and Breakfast is excellent and the little barrel vaulted restaurant is lovely with a good wine list and excellent food.
I haven't gone through all of the reviews but I don't see any presence or reply from the hotel itself.

In conclusion. Best location of any hotel in Ireland. Uncomfortable beds. Receptions at the weekends which make the floors thump - bring earplugs. Eat dinner in the restaurant and ask to sit over the river. It's gorgeous. Walk to the Upper Lake and if you're hardy there's another walk up the hill that gives you the most incredible view of Wicklow.
It's a pity that standards are so low in the bar regarding cleanliness. The food is good. The decor throughout the hotel is dated and pretty awful [the toilets downstairs really need work]. I think that's covered everything. My advice is to do an overnighter off season during the week. Go down afternoon and walk the lakes. Eat in the restaurant and get up next day and do the lakes again. 20 minutes on Kevin's bed puts it all into perspective.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank anteater
Reviewed 29 July 2011

Myself and my wife were attending a wedding at the hotel, and due to some computer glitch this hotel "accidentally" cancelled our room. The hotel was full, so we were left without a room in the hotel we booked.

The hotel arranged accomodation in Lynham's down in Laragh, dropped us back and forth, but offered nothing by means of compensation for our inconvenience. We were told we "should have rung ahead to check"our booking which we found ridiculous and unnecessary in any other hotel.

The receptionist and manager did ensure we had a place to stay that night, but not being offered anything for the hassle was poor customer service (we had to pay for the other room in a hotel we did not book). As a result I would not recommend staying in this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 July 2011

I stayed here the last week of June 2011 on pilgrimage with a group from church. The Monastic Village and the walking trails were fantastic. The location was unbelievable and definitely worth a trip to see. The hotel, unfortunately, was only so-so. Many people in our group had rooms in the newer section of the hotel and I will admit, those were very nice. My single room was right above the lobby -- and had not been remodeled since the 1950's. It reminded me of staying at my grandmother's house when I was a child in one of the upstairs bedrooms that hadn't seen the light of day in 20 years. The bed was old, the furniture was old, the wallpaper was peeling and there was a musty smell that even after having the windows open for 2 days didn't help eliminate. On the plus side, the staff was very attentive and helpful. The restaurant personnel were wonderful. The food was surprisingly very, very good (the desserts were wonderful). I will admit I had withdrawal without internet and cellphone service but my daughter found an alcove in the newer section that had a decent signal (above the bar). On my next trip to the Wicklow Mountains I will be certain to visit Glendalough but I will probably try staying at one of the B&B's.

Room Tip: Bring a washcloth -- European hotels consider them a personal item
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 4 July 2011

While no, the service was not perfect and no, there was no internet as well as limited television, the location and food give this hotel huge value. Literally being able to walk outside and be in the valley of one of the better parts of the Wicklow mountains was incredible for a solo traveler who was just there to hike. The room was fine; comfortable bed and properly sizable. Bathroom was very nice.
Food is something completely separate. It was, simply put, phenomenal. I was worried when I initially saw the prices, but I soon learned why the prices were allowed to be so high. Breakfast wasn't very complex but lunch and dinner were out of this world. Only complaint was that my server for lunch rushed me out because he said he had a "rush" when I was literally one of two tables in use.
Overall I was very pleased with my visit to The Glendalough Hotel. I can't complain too much, They did extend my check-out time by about five hours so I could wait for the bus.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo
Parkview Hotel
#2 of 2 in Newtown Mount Kennedy
20.9 km away
Woodenbridge Hotel & Lodge

Been to Glendalough Hotel? Share your experiences!