“The house is a treasure and the food sensational!”
Review of Roundwood House

and 1 more site!
Roundwood House
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Mountrath
Reviewed 19 January 2017

We were met by Rococo the friendly Lab who showed us to the door where the very capable but easy going Paddy Flynn took over. Our room - The Blue Room was pretty special, however we spent most of the evening by the inviting turf fire in the drawing room. We were spoilt for choice with the selection of reading material while we lazily wilted by the fire. The ladies of the house Hannah and young Amelie & Lucie were just as charming as Paddy. The real indulgence only began however when Paddy (and his gifted friend) started to produce one sensationally tasty delight after another from his magic kitchen. As we were the only two people eating that night Paddy spoiled us further by serving this fabulous 5 course dinner by the fire, which added even further to the very memorable dining experience. Don't forget to check out the very impressive library. Highly recommend this place. Great find for a snowstorm with such quality food & books to feast on.

Room Tip: Just remember the house is over 280 years old & appreciate the uniqueness and character of each...
  • Stayed: January 2017, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 19 December 2016

I dined here recently with work collegues for our office Christmas party. The concept of dining without knowing what was on the menu was new to me, and I was a bit nervous at first, but to my surprise I LOVED everything that was served to me. The food is thee most delicious I have ever tasted. I really enjoyed it & I love the fact that I tried a lot of food that I would normally avoid on another restaurant menu. So thanks to Paddy & Hannah, you've educated my palette to such an extent that I will no longer just order 'the usual' at a restaurant any more.... thanks so much! What you have at Roundwood House is unique & very special and long may it continue..... I will definitely be back ; )

• Stayed: December 2016, travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 December 2016

What a wonderful and heart-warming place. A delightful, quirky house bursting with character and set in beautiful rambling gardens. From the moment you arrive, you feel part of Hannah and Paddy’s family. Warm, welcoming and attentive - they really go out of their way to ensure you have a fabulous stay. Highlights for me included the fascinating library, which provides the perfect setting for an evening relaxing by the fire with friends. Plus, the truly delicious food definitely makes me want to make a return visit sometime soon.

Stayed: December 2016
Reviewed 6 December 2016 via mobile

The house is lovely, the hosts warm and friendly and the food amazing!!! We suggest you take a little walk around the courtyard, check out the library and the barn. It's like being placed in a story back in the 19th century!

Stayed: December 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 December 2016 via mobile

Spent 2 nights here midweek. Beautiful house with loads of character in the middle of the countryside. So peaceful - only noise is the bird's singing in the mornings. There's an amazing library and gardens to relax in too. Delicious food and great company from the owners, Hannah and Paddy. They've created something really special here! The place has a great atmosphere. Wouldn't change a thing!

Stayed: December 2016, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mountrath
14.2 km away
Maldron Hotel Portlaoise
#3 of 4 in Portlaoise
27.6 km away
Bridge House Hotel, Spa and Leisure Club

Been to Roundwood House? Share your experiences!