“Excellent - comfortable, friendly & relaxing”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Maol Reidh Hotel

Maol Reidh Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Tullycross
Antrim
“Excellent - comfortable, friendly & relaxing”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2009

Surfing the net 5 years ago for a quiet break my wife & I found the Maol Reidh. We have been back every year since then. Allocated a different room each time we have always found the rooms spacious, clean & comfortable. Ensuite facilities excellent. Unfailingly, we have had good food & exceptionally friendly & courteous staff. A small, family run hotel, its owners are usually not too far away & always have time to give guidance on local sightseeing & features or just to have a chat.
Ideal if you want a quiet relaxing few days, walking, sightseeing or just sitting around.
Absolutely no complaints & we'll be back next year.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
GREAT BRITAIN
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 October 2008

On our arrival at Maol Reidh on 30th August we were warmly greeted at
reception and after being informed of our meal times were shown to our room.
> Our bedroom and en-suite were very spacious,spotlessly clean and very well
equiped.The room overlooked the quaint cottages and the infamous Croagh Patrick
mountain.
> After unpacking a pint of guinness was very welcome,following which we were
escorted into the beautifully furnished restaurant for our evening meal.Choosing
our meal proved to be extremely difficult as the menu was so varied and
tempting,however once the choice was made and the order taken, the meal was
served by very polite,helpful and efficient staff.The meal was delicious,
beautifully presented and piping hot. Compliments have to be expressed to the
chef on presenting such excellent cuisine at such good value for money.
> The breakfast menu was also very varied,with the meal being served in the
light airy conservatory by once again polite, efficient staff.
> On a couple of occasions we had our lunch in the Hotel's Lounge,again this was
well prepared and nicely served.
> Twice we were extremely late arriving back at the Hotel,but on each occasion
the was a night porter in attendance to give us a warm cheery greeting.
> Maol Reidh is a family run Hotel and this is very apparent as there is always
a member of the Lydon family available either for a friendly chat or to give
guidance on the surrounding area.
> The Hotel is ideally situated for cyclists, artists, and walkers in order for
them to delight and capture the stunning scenery, for anglers to fish the local
waters or for the less energetic to enjoy the breathtaking beautiful local
beaches.
> This was our 5th.year at Maol Reidh and we have always experienced an
"excellent value for money holiday" in a fantastic well run,spotlessly clean
Hotel.We will certainly be back for "year 6"
> Mr and Mrs Wilks, Warwickshire, England

• Liked — WARMTH AND HOSPITALITY
  • Disliked — NOTHING
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
Dublin, Ireland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2008

My boyfriend & I stayed here for 1 night at the end of July. I can honestly say this was one of the worst nights I've spent in a hotel in a long time.

Check in was fine and the room was just OK. The windows didn't have curtains - just blinds. They were black out blinds but they didn't cover the window properly so the light was shining in at 6am waking us both!

When we went to bed we could hear the people next door talking (we could actually make out what they were saying!!) and even heard the light being switched off - paper thin walls!!

Add this on top of a bathroom light that didn't work and a toilet that didn't flush - it wasn't a pleasant stay. We couldn't even have a shower when we got up as there wasn't a window in the bathroom. Breakfast was horrible, fruit salad consisted of a few apples and bananas on a plate and I was told I could make my own fruit salad from what was on the plate if I wanted to! My boyfriend had a fried breakfast and it wasn't good.

On check out I mentioned all the problems to the receptionist who attempted to ignore my comments and handed me the bill. When I pushed her for a response, she told me she'd get them checked out for me. Checking out problems after a guest has departed, doesn't help their experience. I pointed this out and I eventually received €20 off the final bill but it was given very grudgingly and without an apology.

I wouldn't advise anybody to stay here!

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Customer Service
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
5 Thank CatsCol
Columbia, SC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2008

We had a great time at this hotel. Our room was large and had a great view. The Angler's Rest Pub was friendly and nice. The scenery is terrific. The breakfast was fine, but one of the staff did not speak English (only gaelic?). This place is very remote, so I could not imagine staying too long, but the area is quite beautiful so you could hike around for days. The hotel was clean and well-maintained. I was surprised to find such a nice hotel in such a remote location.

• Liked — Remote location
  • Disliked — Remote location
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with family
ireland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2008

i had an absolutely horrible experience with this hotel. having booked two months in advance, after having a substantial deposit taken out of my credit card account, after driving 150 miles we arrived at 9.30 pm on one of the busiest weekends of the year to find out that our room had been given away (at a higher rate). the rest of the weekend was spent looking for accommodation elsewhere - we had to spend three nights in three different hotels/ b&b,s at extortionist rates. our weekend was ruined. i was so upset with the hotel, they were unapologetic and rude and didnt seem to care - we even had to argue to get our deposit back.

i would avoid this hotel, if you are going to go with it - make sure you get something in writing!

Stayed August 2005
2 Thank touristIreland
jacklydon, owner at Maol Reidh Hotel, responded to this review, 30 July 2008
Dear Sirs,
In response to review "do not stay here" I can say with certainty that this event never happened at this hotel. This is a case of mistaken hotel or somebody being malacious. Nobody has ever arrived at our hotel, with a prior booking, that we did not acknowledge and have a room available for them. We did not refund a deposit on June 30th as suggested. We pride ourselves on our staff, who are very courteous and attentive . I would like to ask the person who wrote this review to please clarify the situation.
Monica Lydon
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tullycross
3.5 km away
14.1 km away
Delphi Resort
Delphi Resort
#1 of 4 in Leenane

Been to Maol Reidh Hotel? Share your experiences!