New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

“Pictures totally misleading, mouldy curtains, exterior not painted in 20 years” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Mainistir House Hostel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Inishmore
Mainistir House Hostel
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2011

I booked this hostel for myself and my girlfriend we had been looking forward to visiting inis mor. We were excited when we saw the boutique style rooms on the Internet.. Our optimism was shattered when we arrived, to discover the outside of the building looking absolutely disgraceful.. Mould growing on walls, grass not cut, weeds growing everywhere.. Around the back of the house was piles of used cooking pots, more weeds and general dirt.. The owner checked us in, and cleverly made us pay for our 2 night stay up front, 50 euros per night, total 100 euro.. Our room was number 4, up a narrow and low stairs, on which I banged my head.. On arriving inside the room, it smelled of mould.. It was tiny, and the windows had condensation on them.. The curtains were mouldy., and the floor was dirty.. My girlfriend got locked inside one of the toilets because the handle broke, luckily she had her mobile and rang me so I could rescue her.. Generally, I have never complained about a place before, and I do not expect unusually high standards, but this guy has a total cheek charging 50 euros per night.. The b&bs, hotels etc are the same price!!!! I would question the authenticity of any review that recommends this place, because it simply isn't true.. I have travelled all around the world, china etc, and never seen a lower standard.. Disgraceful and a bad advertisment for Ireland to any potential visitors..

• Stayed April 2011
5 Thank Eurotiger79

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2011

Pleasant owner Joel.clean tidy room.breakfast left out for us even though we left on the 8.15 ferry.overall happy with this hostel!not ideal if u have mobility problems-perfect if you intend to travel around by bicycle!

• Stayed April 2011
Antwerp, Belgium
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 October 2010

Not only the service is optimal, the rooms are comforatable, the location is beautiful, the food remarkable but especially the staff is just the best! Very kind and helpfull, funny and sociable. I loved my stay at Mainistir and decided to stay there for almost a week.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank brechtjedebacker
Derby, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 September 2010

Hostel is in a beautiful part of Arainn (though the whole island is absolutely magic). Stayed overnight, decided against another night. Hostel very basic, no lounge area as such - just a not very exciting lobby area. Had private room at a cost of 45 euros!! (Could have had lovely B and B for that, but they were all full!) There were two mugs on a tray, but no kettle, spoons or anything else. Decor - strange...no frills - but at least the bedding was clean. Kitchen was neglected, grimy and the kettle didn't work. (Some nice Danish man brought his out of his room to use.) Tea towels were indescribably filthy. Attitude from manager is arrogant, rude and off putting. Definitely doesn't like to put himself out for anyone. Must be his 'artistic' temperament! Other staff ok.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled solo
4 Thank AUNT_JEMIMA_10

Travellers are raving about these Inishmore hotels

Palo Alto, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 September 2010

I had a fantastic stay! I was traveling alone, but the staff were super friendly and gave me all kinds of advice on seeing the best parts of the island. The rooms were clean, beds comfortable, showers hot, and a great breakfast was included. Not to mention the award winning vegetarian restaurant attached to the hostel.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled solo