“Better than Expected”

Clayton Hotel Leopardstown
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Leopardstown
Reviewed 13 March 2012

We are a couple in our sixties and frequent visitors to Dublin's southside. Our preferred hotel was not available on this occasion. We booked Bewley's for it's proximity to family we were visiting and for a special offer roomrate. Our experience was better than expected. It IS just off the M50 and 3 mins from a LUAS station, as claimed. The rooms ARE quiet, again as claimed, but if overlooking the main road, as we were, road noise is VERY obtrusive unless the windows are shut. Our room had one double bed - a standard double, rather than the more common queensize - and one single bed. It was otherwise conventionally furnished - one thing we missed was a fridge. Decor was 'cheap', but 'fresh'; overall at or above average for a hotel of this class. The on-suite bathroom was clean and appropriately equipped. The matress and pillows were amongst the most comfortable we've encountered. Heating was easily adjustable, but there is no air-conditioning, which could be an issue in warmer weather. The room smelled a little stale - a reason to open the window!

Our room was ready for us on arrival; we arrived before the advised check-in time. Reception staff were friendly, helpful and efficeient both at check-in and on checking out. Car parking is charged. When we arrived there was pressure on places, but we were guided in a non-fussy manner by three very pleasant young men, to an available place. It was annoying to see that 'diners' could park for free, whereas 'guests and diners', like ourselves, could not?! This is something the hotel should reconsider and is an annoyance that could stop us returning.

We ate in the bar/lobby on both evenings. Though 'old-fashioned', this is a comfortable space. Staff attention and manner were excellent. Food, though typically priced for hotel barfood, was just about OK - clearly 'volume' produced and a little overpriced for what it was. I had a very nice burger and 'trimmings' the first evening, but a very disappointing Beef and Guinness Stew on the second - a lot of 'diced' ingredients lying below the surface of too much sauce, with three islands/scoops of mashed potato. The 'beef', cut into tiny cubes was mostly 'tough' and tastleless. My wife was similarly underwhelmed by a Panini and Chicken Korma.

In the overall scheme of things, though our criticisms are warranted, they are well outweighed by the positives, one of which is that wireless broadband is available in bedrooms.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mhaincin
Linda F, Manager at Clayton Hotel Leopardstown, responded to this reviewResponded 30 January 2016

Thank you for posting your review on TripAdvisor.
I am delighted to announce that we are now a Clayton Hotel . Should you wish to book again , please contact us at reservations.leopardstown@claytonhotels.com and we would be delighted to assist with your reservation.
Operations Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,265)

Reviewed 10 March 2012

Perfect hotel for any kind of stay, priced well, good breakfast service, comfortable beds! Close to Luas.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family

Reviewed 7 March 2012

Business brought me to Dublin and a colleague's suggestion brought me to Bewley's Leopardstown--and the entire experience was delightful!

The bus service (not a hotel shuttle) was an easy transfer from the Dublin airport, with Bewley's being the last stop. In all a pleasant 45-minute scenic drive through downtown and suburban Dublin. Just 14 Euros for a round-trip ticket is very reasonable for fast, comfortable and safe transportation.

At check-in Zola was so very kind. Although I was checking in almost two hours ahead of the stated check-in time she made sure I had a readied, non-smoking room immediately. Her courteous demeanor set the tone for my entire stay.

My room was just perfect for my stay. I needed a comfortable bed and a bit of workspace with Internet access for my stay and the sixth-floor room suited me wonderfully well. The room itself was spacious, quiet, nicely appointed and very clean. Bathroom amenities were adequate, and the mirrors, porcelain and chrome fixtures sparkled with cleanliness. A deep tub with a shower invited me to relax, and there was never any shortage of hot water.

In the dining room and lounge all the staff were friendly and helpful, smiles abundant. Joanna was especially kind, answering my first-timer's questions about local places of interest and LUAS routes. Her lovely smile made breakfast my favorite meal of the day!

Internet accessibility was very important to me because of my work. The connection was stable and always fast, making my work so much productive.

Keith at the front desk was so very helpful whenever I had questions about LUAS (the inter-urban train system), or the location of an ATM, or even where the coffee and tea service was located in my room. (It's in the drawer under the television, in case you don't immediately find it, either.)

Bewley's location is about 25 minutes from the heart of downtown Dublin by LUAS. The nearest station is perhaps a 5-minute walk from the hotel's entrance. Tickets may be purchased from a vending machine at the station platform and there's a detailed map of the routes to help you know just where you need to go to reach your destination.

The food at Bewley's was very good and the menu provided enough variety that my three-day stay didn't become gastronomically boring.

I heartily endorse and recommend Bewley's Leopardstown for the business traveler, or for a tourist who doesn't insist on being in the middle of the shopping or nightlife districts of Dublin. It is comfortable, it is clean, it is a very good value.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank JVDonnant

Reviewed 5 March 2012

My husband and I stayed here for one night because we were going to a family reunion in Dublin. Members of my family often stay here and on their recommendations, I decided to book it. On arriving at reception, my husband and I were given a key and told the location of our room and that was it. No further information was given with regard to meal times etc but we assumed this would be available when we reached our room. On opening the door of our room, I was delighted to see the sun beaming through the window and everything in the room looked clean and fresh. While my husband unpacked, I thought it would be nice to have tea by the window in the sunshine and so I went into the bathroom to wash my hands. I closed the door and didn’t bother to lock it as there was only just the two of us in the room. However, when I went to open the door again, it appeared to be stuck and I pulled on it, without much force, as I am elderly and suffer from arthritis. Imagine my horror when the door and the architrave came away from the wall. I was so shocked and upset that it took me a while to realise what had happened. I called my husband as I was unable to get out of the bathroom and even he couldn’t get the door to separate from the architrave. He did however manage to move the whole lot a bit in order to rescue me. When I finally got out of the bathroom, needless to say in tears, he phoned reception and explained what had happened and he was told to go down to reception and we would be given another room. So, bags have to be packed again and off we went down to reception where the receptionist asked if I was okay and we were given a substitute room and two vouchers for a free breakfast. The next room was further away from the lift and wasn’t as nice as the first room. It was dark and gloomy and when we put the lights on, we had to close the curtains because there were a lot of windows overlooking the room. I was very disappointed and at this stage all I wanted to do was leave and book into another hotel. However, as I had prepaid for the room and we were pushed for time, I decided I would stay under duress. After the night out with my family, I was looking forward to a good night’s rest in what I understood to be a soundproof room. Even though we were on the sixth floor, the noise from the function which was going on could be plainly heard and I couldn’t get any sleep until I managed to locate a pair of ear plugs. That said, the bed was quite comfortable and I did sleep for a while.

Would I stay again? It is too soon to say as I just can’t get over the shock of what happened on Saturday night. It was only a door this time but who knows, maybe next time it could be a ceiling or a wall. It is a pity this happened otherwise I would have given a five star rating to this hotel.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Erins-Isle22

Reviewed 22 February 2012

Easy access to this hotel, straight off the M50. Also there is a Luas station (Center Park) behind the building across the street for easy access to Dundrum and Dublin city center. Sadly parking is not free, but is reasonably priced. Hotel is very clean and well maintained as are the rooms. Café/bar is quite large with plenty of seats.

Room Tip: There is a Luas station across the street for easya ccess to Dundrum and Dublin city center