“Lunch Date”

Ranked #1 of 15 Restaurants in Castleknock
Price range: US$0 - US$38
Cuisines: Seafood, Steakhouse
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Award winning bar, restaurant & wedding venue in the Strawberry Beds. Live traditional music 7 nights a week.
Reviewed 29 January 2018 via mobile

I’ve always enjoyed sitting outside this pub on a warm summers day enjoying a drink however today we dropped in on our way home from Town for lunch. We were the 1st customers in through the doors and were looked after very efficiently. I like the decor and the smell of the fire as it blazes away, the noise of the logs crackling give the place a real country pub feel. I had the soup and a sandwich and my partner had the fish and chips. The portions were very generous, the soup was delicious as was the grilled chicken sandwich and accompanying chips and salad. There were many tempting options on the menu and we’ll be sure to come back again sometime.

WrightB_13, Director of Sales at Wrights Anglers Rest, responded to this reviewResponded 30 January 2018

Thank you for taking the time to post such a fantastic review. I agree the Anglers Rest is an amazing spot in the summer along with the winter when the cosy feel of the open first & candles. Look forward to welcoming you back again soon. Regards, Jennie Grogan, Sales jenny@wbg.ie * * Wedding Fair 18th Feb 1-5pm * *

Write a ReviewReviews (1,222)

Reviewed 29 January 2018 via mobile

Visited on a Saturday lunchtime in November. The staff were preparing for a wedding upstairs. We took our seats in the empty restaurant & ordered our food. Whilst we waited we saw a mouse run across the floor and behind the piano. I mentioned it to the waiter who food it amusing and asked if it was a computer mouse. My wife put on a brave face and we waited a while for our starter. Mine wasn't the soup I ordered and there was no spoon to eat with. The main course was ok but the experience was poor at least. When I settled the bill, there was no mention of are rodent friend from the staff. I watched the bride enter the same restaurant with some friends as we left. That could have been interesting!

1  Thank fergo
Reviewed 28 January 2018

Just popped in for a coffee . The venue is amazing and would be lovely a wedding. There had been a wedding the day before so I had a quick peep at the rrom. It was just lovely. Also met the florist who had done the flowers for the wedding. I wish we had had time to eat there but we will be back again.

Thanks for your amazing review, delighted you enjoyed the Anglers Rest & hope youll make it back again soon to sample the food. Yes we have an amazing function room which is the ideal setting for a wedding or function, next time you are in feel free to take a look. Hope to see you again soon. Regards, Jennie Grogan, Sales jenny@wbg.ie ** Wedding Fair Sun. 18th Feb 1-5pm **

Reviewed 24 January 2018 via mobile

Saturday night was my first time to go to anglers rest.. I had heard such great reviews over the years. We arrived on the off-chance with no booking, and were happy to be told if we wait 15/20 mins we Wud have a table. 2 rounds of drinks later and an hour had passed and we had noticed another couple arrive after us and also with no booking but seemed to know the staff and they were seated within 20 mins. My partner asked the waiter would we be waiting much longer as nobody had approached us to say what delay was. Shortly afterwards we were seated. Wine was ordered and served promptly and order taken... Wings & chowder to start.. After a further 45 minutes of waiting we eventually got waiters attention and our wings and chowder was served. Both served at best I can say luke warm. We did not touch food after our initial first taste.. It took a further 5 minutes to get another waiters attention to which he walked past our table and shortly later abruptly took food away from our table. Did not utter one word to us to ask what the issue was or even seem one bit concerned. At this stage an hour after we had ordered (and 2hrs now on premises) we decided we did not want to stay for mains and cancelled our order. We politely asked for the bill and explained why we were cancelling. We had put on our coats and the bill was brought to us with all the items being charged, ie drinks starters and mains. We pointed this out to the waiter and his reply was “so what exactly do you want to pay for then”. We said we were paying for what we had. He brought this to the supervisors attention at the till area and 4 staff ended up having verbal argument in full sight of customers and one staff member flung his glasses off and stormed away. As we stood up to leave with our coats on our 2nd attempt at our starters arrived out and the supervisor seemed very put out that we wudnt accept them. We pointed out that we had settled the bill and made it very clear we wanted to leave. The manager/supervisor who’s name was Oliver was unbelievably rude and dismissive and just did not seem to care about anything that had happened. There seems to be a serious issue with staff training and adequate staff being employed. A simple and genuine “sorry” would have gone a very long way. If your thinking of going to The Anglers Rest.... our advice and experience... steer clear.... sorry .

9  Thank Niamh M
Reviewed 23 January 2018

Our vist to the Anglers Rest was all in all excellent but the service was slow. Long delays in ordering, and meal delivery

Review collected in partnership with this restaurant
WrightB_13, Director of Sales at Wrights Anglers Rest, responded to this reviewResponded 24 January 2018

Hi Sean, Thanks for your review. Its great to hear you found the Anglers Rest so fantastic. I apologies that you experienced a delay in ordering your food, this isn't the norm but can happen on very busy days but Ill look into it, thanks for pointing it out. Our food can take a little longer than perhaps other restaurants but this is purely down to the fact everything is made to order & something we pride ourselves in. Thank you for your feedback as this is something we will ensure our staff inform guests. I hope we will see you back again soon. Kind Regards, Jennie Grogan, Sales jenny@wbg.ie ***Wedding Fair Sunday 18th Feb 1-5pm***