“Loved it”

Good for: Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Buffet, Reservations
Description: Irish Country House ,
Reviewed 14 September 2018

This probably wasn't the best meal I have ever eaten, what really differentiates Ballymaloe is the sense of occasion surrounding the meal. We started with an aperitif in the beautiful leafy conservatory where the knowledgeable front of house took our order, answered our questions, graciously making suggestions for the kids. We were then led to our table where we enjoyed a very good meal. The piece de la resistance was the desert trolley, oh how my kids eyes lit up, the chocolate meringue cake was to die for. The carageen pudding was delicious. Service was efficient. The only suggestion I have is to add a proper coffee machine, would have loved a nice espresso to finish what was otherwise a great meal and a very enjoyable evening.
Please note: my children are 7 and 9, I don't think they accept children below a certain age.

Reviewed 22 August 2018 via mobile

We had a wonderful stay at Ballymaloe. I choose Ballymaloe based off of the reputation of their food, which exceeded expectations. Dinners and breakfast were delicious. The estate is beautiful with pretty walking paths and scenery. Our room was lovely as well. Service and staff were all excellent. We went as a couple but it was very family friendly (we appreciated that no small children/ highchairs were allowed in the dining room after 730).

Reviewed 21 August 2018 via mobile

Just back from lunch at ballymaloe dined outside in the mobile cafe. At first glance menu looked totally flexible lots of meat wraps/sandwiches etc that could be transformed to whole foods plant based ie vegan no oil (I'm on a plan for med reasons and have to be very strict) well the waitress did not have the same opinion. I can just give you tomatoe salad I.e tomatoes & greens??? why do ppl think if your vegan etc you don't eat!! So I said no thank you I'd love a mixed salad with a mixture of the other sides you have like cucumber avocado onion & relish etc with it, nothing exciting but a bit more substance as I was very hungry. She looked at me and said oh I don't know if I can do that. I said sure you have it all up on the board!! She replied the chef won't be happy and walked off!!!! Omg I could not believe my ears!!!! So I ended up with the tomatoe salad with only around 10 small leafs of greens but with a 1/4 of an avacado added. Whilst my husband ate a chicken salad full of cucumber onion etc. I know some things are pre made but to make things worse next to the door of the shop 2 yards behind my back was around 10 baskets of mixed veg for sale which I only spotted at the end of our lunch. I hate it when ppl just don't care I have in the past explained my situation and I'm not trying to be awkward but when you go to a cookery school to eat, that will prob jump on the band wagon at some stage and produce a vegan cookbook r something, it just makes me so mad when the service is this bad. what is more laughable the shop sells lots of vegan and whole foods food stuff. What the heck is that about when you cannot make a salad for a customer??

1  Thank Noelle L
Reviewed 17 August 2018

Sunday lunch at Ballymaloe. Service was great and the food itself was very good, but not outstanding for us. Presentation of some dishes was lovely, others not so.There is a fair amount of hype about this place, and the grounds are simply beautiful, but not sure we would return.

1  Thank trvlbuf
Reviewed 15 August 2018

I enjoyed a 5 course evening meal in the Ballymaloe restaurant. The quality of the food was excellent, i enjoyed every course.dining room is beautiful, grounds of the restaurant are lovely. Would recommend arriving earlier than reservation time and enjoy a walk of the grounds.