All reviews coach house once in a lifetime spiral staircase modern amenities washer dryer irish experience west coast of ireland ireland vacation up to date short drive aran islands each evening tower house county clare margaret liam accommodations
Reviewed 25 November 2017

An idyllic Castle and Coach House set in the tranquil beauty of the Clare countryside. A great place to stay if you are planning on touring Shannonside and the West coast. Spacious with modern amenities set off the road on a quite boreen with wonderful views. Perfect for large family gatherings and special events.

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 November 2017

We stated at the Ballyhannon for 7 days in July 2017. It was just my wife, daughter & myself. The west coast of Ireland is one of our favorite travel destinations and in the past we've stayed at traditional B & B's or hotels. We wanted to try something completely different for lodging. We were not disappointed. The fact that this structure was built in the 15th century and we were able to stay here is a testament to the craftsmanship of that era and the current owners taking great care in keeping the castle up to date and clean. The spiral staircase was amazing and I thought of all the Irish nobles that ascended those stairs each time I went up and down.

The great hall was magnificent. The bedrooms had more than enough space and the dinning hall was something out of Game of Thrones.

Beds were comfortable & clean with plenty of linens & blankets.

The kitchen was modern with all the necessary cooking utensils. Washer/dryer worker well. Bathrooms were clean.

Location was great. No noisy neighbors. Excellent location. Short drive to the coast & the surf towns such as Lehinch. If the Aran islands are on your destination I would recommend taking the Doolin ferry as it was a easy drive from the castle.

Loved the little town of Ennis, had dinner there twice. Shopping in Ennis was a lot of fun. My family called it "Little Galway". If you need more action Galway itself is a short drive and don't miss eating at "The old Barracks" resturant in the little town of Athenry which is just outside Galway.

We thank Margaret & her family for sharing this treasure!

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 September 2017 via mobile

First off I want to thank Margaret for being so gracious and so welcoming. She is a very kind woman and appreciate all she did for us to make us comfortable.
We stayed at the castle September 3rd and 4th, 2017. My daughter made all the booking arrangements so I'm sure she will be writing a very positive review as well but I felt the need to express how I personally felt staying in this castle.
It was only myself my daughter and my mom. A three generation trip to Ireland. Back to our roots.
We wanted to experience castle living. We could have stayed at a five-star high in castle but none of them would have given us the authenticity we were looking for.
Upon arriving at Ballyhannon we were impressed with the view. This castle is not located off the highway but farther back in an off-road area surrounded by beautiful farmland.
I was impressed by how the castle looked from the outside not dressed up but authentic. As we came to the door the door was left open and Margaret was inside preparing coffee and tea for us and she had cookies laid out and she was very welcoming. She asked that we take a walk through the castle before we actually spend time to go over the details. As we did we were absolutely amazed. With the exception of the bathrooms and heating in the rooms it was as if we were back in the 14th century. High up in the rafters were cobwebs, which added to the elegance of the castle experience. Margaret explains some people don't like it and some people do but it's very hard to keep the cobwebs down because once you start cleaning at the top and get to the bottom there already back again at the top. I get that LOL I begged her not to take those cobwebs down because if this was the 14th century you can be sure there wasn't somebody taking cobwebs down every day. That just added to the experience.
The castle was cold and damp but it's a castle for god sake it's going to be damp and cold. The heaters worked wonderful and Margaret said if we needed more heat to let her know and she could adjust the heat remotely. We did get a little chilled but decided not to ask her to turn it up because again we were wanting the experience. So we made us a pot of tea and curled up in the Big room upstairs and just enjoyed the ambience of our experience. When we went to bed we closed the door and our body heat warmed the rooms up and we had no problems of being cold during the night not to mention the very very cozy comforters on the bed.
The decorations in the castle were authentic and antique and beautiful.
Our first night we went to a medieval banquet and coming back from that to our castle made us feel like we were living in the 14th century. That evening we sat outside and enjoyed a drink or two in the crisp night air and the glow of the castle lights.
We had a small issue with the Wi-Fi but while we were gone Margaret came and reset it and it worked beautifully. We understood that it may or may not go through the entire castle because after all the walls are about 5 feet thick so what do you expect. But it worked in the rooms just fine.
Margaret assured us if there was any problems to let her know and she would take care of it. And if we had had any serious problems I believe in my heart she would've taking care of it immediately. But we did not, thankfully.
We did not get to meet Margaret's husband but from the reviews we read and if he's anything like she is he's no doubt a nice gentleman.
I was disappointed reading some of the negative reviews. I don't know what their issue was but we did not experience any problems with the castle or it's proprietors.
I fell in love with Ireland and I will be back and upon my arrival I am planning another visit to Ballyhannon.
If you want a authentic Irish castle experience you need to stay here. I highly recommend this place.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 September 2017

We stayed in Ballyhannon for a week, to celebrate our wedding. Our families and friends coming from abroad were able to stay in the castle, and enjoyed the four-poster beds. Our guests who were late-night revelers really enjoyed staying in the coach house. The location was perfect as a base for visiting the many attractions in County Clare. All of our guests enjoyed this wedding which was quite different to the usual venues and took place in gorgeous surroundings. Even our photographer was happy to stay in one location to take all the pictures. They really enjoyed taking some photos of this beautiful castle.The place is very child friendly, the kids were so busy playing knights and princesses for the whole week. Margaret, the patient landlady, did her best on advising us for this wedding, and always answered all my many and weird questions. We had such a wonderful week with all our family around us and we have some amazing memories of our wedding which will be with us for a long time to come.

Room Tip: Not all rooms have wifi, it is centrally located. The top bedrooms require a certain level of fitness as there is no elevator.
  • Stayed: April 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 July 2017

I had the amazing experience of staying at Ballyhannon the first week of my Irish vacation. I love Ireland and this was my fourth holiday in this beautiful country and thanks to Ballyhannon Castle (we did not rent the Coach house) I would have to say the most memorable and a highlight of our trip. I am a big fan of history and staying in an authentic castle / tower house was on my "bucket list" of things to do in my life. I arrived with some family and friends and it was all I had hoped it would be and more. The lovely owner, Margaret, was there to greet us and had very welcome coffee and biscuits waiting to refresh us after a long flight. We had so much fun exploring the castle and stunning landscape around it. This beautiful tower house is conveniently located in an area that has so many historic places and scenic beauty spots that we wanted to visit, just a short or reasonable drive away. At night we relaxed in the lovely restored surroundings of an ancient castle that keeps it's authentic atmosphere while at the same time is incredibly clean and cozy considering it is over 500 years old! After a long day of touring it was so refreshing to return to the very peaceful Ballyhannon. We all slept very well as the beds are really comfortable and the place is so quiet. Staying at Ballyhannon Castle was a magical, unforgettable, adventure of a lifetime. It is something I am so happy to have shared with loved ones and we have priceless memories that we shall never forget. It was an incredible feeling and a dream come true to be able to cross this off my "bucket list". But now I think I must revise the list to say "return to Ballyhannon Castle ! :) I highly recommend this magical, historic place and many thanks to Margaret from all of us for this wonderful experience.

Stayed: May 2017, travelled with friends