“A wonderful week!”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Masaya
La Mariposa Spanish School and Eco Hotel
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Masaya
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 27 March 2011

A week was much too short for everything The Mariposa had to offer and I would certainly make a repeat visit. The individual Spanish language teaching which took place in the gardens was excellent and there were an variety of interesting excursions on offer for the afternoons and weekends. One of my best days was when I went on a guided hike around the local area. The views were spectacular and I learned a lot about the local geography and way of life. I would also recommend the talk about Nicaragua's history and politics. Paulette and her staff were extremely helpful. The food was excellent with tasty fresh fruit and vegetables. I met some friendly, interesting and like-minded people there and soon felt at home. The whole ethos of the Mariposa is commendable and it benefits the local community enormously.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled solo

Reviewed 24 March 2011

I found the Mariposa on the internet, but I couldn't have been luckier to find the perfect place for me. , If I was doing it over, I would do exactly the same trip. I was with the school for 5 weeks, and noticed many repeat guests/students. There were so many wonderful things about the Mariposa which I'll list below. Unlike most travelers to Nicaragua, I was an inexperienced traveler. The Mariposa has such a well thought out program, that it suits the needs of both the experienced adventurers and the nervous neophytes. I planned my trip to stay in the homestay for the majority of the trip, and the eco-hotel for a smaller part of the trip, so I can comment on both.

Terrific things about the Mariposa:
1. Professionally run excellent Spanish classes, almost always one-on-one.
2. The entire staff (which consists of many people!) from the teachers, to the cooks and gardeners, are very friendly and helpful, and provide additional opportunities to speak in Spanish.
3. The school has interesting things to do every day. We went to Leon, Granada and Masaya. I spent two relaxing days swimming and kayaking at Lake Apoyo with the school. We visited many home workshops, as well as schools. There were discussion groups and a dance class. We went to a pizza parlor run by former street kids. The list goes on....
4. The hotel is beautiful with wonderful gardens. It is a sanctuary of sorts, with chickens, turkeys, monkeys, parrots and other beautiful birds, and horses.
5. The food was delicious with homemade fruit drinks at almost every meal. It is mostly vegetarian.
6. The school fit both the needs of the adventurous and those who needed more support, like myself. I had reliable pick up and drop off at the airport. My conversation teachers, and other staff accompanied me on my first walks in the towns, and answered my many cultural questions like "should I say hi to people on the road?" "Are the vehicles honking because you are pretty?" (No, they were just being polite to let us know they were behind us.)
7. I had plenty of opportunity to mingle with local people, and get to know Nicaragua.
8. The school is very well respected and well liked in the community and supports many local projects.
9. Volunteer opportunities were varied. The staff tries to match activities to the interests of the students who wish to volunteer. I taught English one-on-one to local adults, which was perfect for me. (I had just received my teaching certificate.) I had a chance to meet many wonderful Nicaraguans.

Advantages of the homestay:
Homestays gives you a chance to understand the culture and lives of regular families in Nicaragua. Living in the homestays mean speaking more Spanish! I felt very comfortable, and safe in my homestay (as well as at the hotel). The family took excellent care of me and I gained invaluable knowledge of Nicaraguan customs and family life. Also, the homestay option is more economical.

Advantages of the hotel:
More opportunity to meet wonderful travelers of all ages from many different countries. (However, in the homestay, you still get to socialize with everyone during break times, lunch and school outings.) Wonderful food. And I loved my room and its view of the gardens with its trees and flowers.

My goals were to improve my Spanish, learn to travel and be more comfortable in Central America, get to know the people and something more of what their lives are like, make friends, have fun, and contribute something with my trip. The Mariposa was perfect for all of these things. - Christine

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 16 March 2011

Most of what has been said in other reviews tallies with my experience of three weeks at the Mariposa. It is a great place, but do heed the advice on their website, I can well understand why someone looking for nightlife, luxurious accommodation and and animal-free environment might be disappointed.

But if you're resilient, curious, like good food, enjoy meeting intelligent new people and are open to learning about another country, then you'd find it difficult to do better.

I didn't compare prices with other places, but felt that I got good value for money. It was comfortable enough and the food was fine. For me the best thing about the experience was the programme of activities after the Spanish lessons. These were varied and always interesting. For example, I doubt that I would have got anything like as much out of a visit to Managua had I gone alone. As it was I came away with a feel for both the geography and history of the town. And even the salsa dancing helped to improve my very rudimentary Spanish. I finally got "derecha" and "izquierda" fixed in my head during that session!

And the second best thing were the other students/guests. A varied bunch ranging from around eight to eighty-plus, all with insights and experiences to share.

In short, I had a good time and I learned a lot.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 7 March 2011

Our week in Mariposa exceeded all our expectations. We had a large airy room with views of the hotel's beautiful garden. The food was good and plentiful. The Spanish tuition was excellent and the afternoon trips and activities greatly expanded our knowledge of Nicaragua, it's culture, past struggles and successes and current issues. But more than that we were privileged to share the very special atmosphere which has been created here by Paulette, the founder, her staff and the guests. It is a place to share views and experiences, debate issues and learn from one another. The projects supported by the hotel are really making a difference in the local community and we welcomed the opportunity to become involved.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 March 2011

A truely wonderful, not for profit organisation with a concientious attitude to the nicraguan community. Every aspect of the hotel is designed to improve the life of the people in the local area and because of this being a guest there is an incredible experience. Excellent and well organised teaching and amazing home grown organic meals all take place in a tropical garden setting buzzing with well loved rescued parrots, toucans, monkeys, dogs and cats.
Of so many organisations that claim to be "eco-tourism", this one really is.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Masaya
6.1 km away
31.4 km away
Jicaro Island Ecolodge Granada
Jicaro Island Ecolodge Granada
#1 of 4 in Isletas de Granada

Been to La Mariposa Spanish School and Eco Hotel? Share your experiences!