“Weekday Breakfast”

Nick & J's Cafe
Ranked #5 of 1,304 Restaurants in Knoxville
Cuisines: American, Diner, Soups
Reviewed 10 July 2018 via mobile

We kept hearing great comments about this local breakfast and lunch place so we decided to try it out. We are glad we did, and intend on becoming regulars. The restaurant is designed like a diner, i.e. has individual stools at a large counter overlooking the food prep and grill areas; along with ample booth seating. The decor has touches of local sports and historical locations, yet is not cluttered.
Now to the main reason for our visit - the food! We ordered two different items:a combination pancake, eggs and bacon, and a three egg omelette with city ham and cheese. Both orders were cooked to perfection and served while food was still hot. A very minor drawback was a little lag in service, however, considering the moderate portions and high food quality, it was definitely worth the wait.
We were told that if you intend to eat here on a Saturday morning, you better come early as it is common for folks to be lined up outside the door waiting to get in. All in all, a great local restaurant without any pretense; and despite it's smaller size it delivers in a big way.Two thumbs up!!

nuna007, Owner at Nick & J's Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded 10 July 2018

Thank you very much for your awesome review. We appreciate your business as well as your feedback which we use to improve on a daily basis. We look forward to having you all as “ Regulars “. Great choice. . Thank you again

Reviewed 9 July 2018 via mobile

Delicious food, wonderful service, and just a great experience. The fried okra is absolutely amazing! My daughter ordered the chicken nuggets and she let us sample the breading and it was seasoned perfectly. We will be frequent diners.

Thank you all very much for your awesome review. We appreciate your business and hope to see you back soon Welcome to our family.

Reviewed 9 July 2018

Food was wonderful. We have been here for breakfast and lunch and both were delicious. Prices are very reasonable and they have a large menu so everyone should be able to find something they will like.

Thank you for your awesome review. We appreciate your business as well as your feedback. Hope to see you back soon. Thank you for being part of our family

Reviewed 6 July 2018

I'm glad we finally found the right Saturday to go to Nick and J's for breakfast. Dear Husband and I have been driving past it on the way to or from work for 7 years, but we were never in the neighborhood when the joint was open. Finally! We made it!

Darling Son accompanied us, and I'm so glad since it afforded me more things to nibble on.

First, the excellent: The service, the prices, and the biscuits and sausage gravy. Yum!! The iced tea was good and strong, too.

As for the rest, it was good. I ordered an egg over-medium, bacon, home fries, and a biscuit with gravy. The egg arrived broken and over-hard. There were three thick strips of bacon, two of which were burnt and bitter. The home fries were unevenly cooked - some pieces were flabby, some were perfect, and some were overcooked and hard. The parts of the meal that weren't over- or under-cooked were quite good. The biscuit and gravy, as I said above, was just great. It really saved the whole thing.

Darling Son also got eggs and bacon with two pancakes. The pancakes are HUGE and FLUFFY. I stole several bites, and I can confirm that the pancakes are delicious. They kind of soak up the syrup, so you have to put on extra... but that's not a problem, is it? Yum, more syrup, please!

Dear Husband got an omelet filled with things I don't eat -- mushrooms, yes, but probably hot peppers or something like that. He devoured it. I noticed that they cooked it as the French prefer, "baveuse," which you don't want the literal translation for that. Suffice it to say that the omelet was *not* overcooked.

Service was super friendly; the ladies' room was spotless and in very good condition. The prices were spot-on, and really, I loved the biscuit and gravy. I'am sure we'll be back someday!

nuna007, Owner at Nick & J's Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded 7 July 2018

Thank you for your awesome review. We appreciate your business. My apologies on the eggs and bacon. That should never happen. Please , next time your in , do not hesitate to ask for me or my wife if an issue ever ( hopefully not ) arises. Again, we thank you and we appreciate your feedback.

Reviewed 2 July 2018 via mobile

The daily specials are excellent and very reasonable. The burgers are great. The fries are crispy. But the pastrami!!! They have the best pastrami sandwich in Knoxville...it melts in your mouth. The service is consistently excellent, and everyone is very friendly. Wonderful food...recommended highly!!

2  Thank Kathy W
nuna007, Owner at Nick & J's Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded 5 July 2018

Thank you for your awesome review. We appreciate your business and hope you return very soon.