All reviews snack items crock pot front desk laundry facilities pet friendly facility ihg properties an extended stay rewards program priced hotel room was clean early check excellent place to stay short stay first floor one night stay easy access room key
Reviewed 27 August 2018

I recently stayed at Candlewood Suites in Knoxville during one semester of medical school (15 weeks.) My first contact at this property was with Dawn and she is wonderful. She was very helpful in facilitating my move to Knoxville and made the process very easy. Bart is the Area Manager and he is very active on the property. I watched Bart jump in and help his staff in any area where he was needed. Each person that works at the front desk is truly just awesome. Anything that I ever needed was handled promptly with a smile on their face! So, thank you Trish, Johnathan, April, Stephen, and Julie! I never once saw any of the employees in a bad mood. The housekeeping staff was also great. Since I was a long-term guest, they cleaned my suite once a week but always provided any supplies that I needed in between cleanings. I had just a couple of minor maintenance issues that came up (lightbulbs, dresser drawer adjustment, etc.) and John was there within just a few minutes to address the issues. The property just recently replaced all carpet and kitchen flooring in each guest room and they were working on replacing the window treatments when I checked out so they are constantly updating the property. Access to free laundry facilities was super convenient. They have a pantry there with fully stocked food and snack items for purchase. Also, if you need anything to cook a meal, like a toaster over/crock pot/ etc., they will provide that to you as well. I was there for a long time and I, honestly, couldn't recommend this property any more highly. If you are in the Knoxville area, definitely give this property a try!

Date of stay: August 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
Reviewed 27 August 2018

I have stayed here numerous times over the past 5+ years. Always had a good stay UNTIL my most recent stay August 20 & 21 2018.
It was comfortable in the lobby. When the elevator door opened on the 2nd floor, the air was heavy and dank. I proceeded to my room and the air was even heavier, the room felt sort of wet. I attributed it to being closed up and the air conditioner not being set properly. I adjusted the temperature and went to bed. When I woke up in the middle of the night, the room was cool but extremely humid. I travel with a device that measures temperature and humidity because I often have hot flashes and want to know if it is me or the environment to blame. I pulled this device out and it registered a room temperature of 67 degrees and humidity of 80%. Not really wanting to move rooms in the middle of the night, I waited until I went downstairs in the morning on my way to the office. That is when I met Tish.
I told her about the very uncomfortable conditions and she said "Every room is like that. It is just that time of year."
I have stayed in this hotel on NUMEROUS occasions during torrential rain storms and NEVER experienced humidity that made an uncomfortable night.
Tish went on to say "This is a 20 year old building. You kind of have to expect this"
I grew up in Tampa Florida, known for high humidity (up to 100%) and have family members in Tampa with homes over 30 years old that NEVER get so humid inside that you even think of the humidity.
I told Tish that I would rather sleep in the lobby chairs than in the room I was in. She jokingly offered to get me pillows and blankets to do so. I am sure she thought of it as a joke, but it was not funny. I was serious, my room was nearly unbearable. If I had a respiratory condition, I doubt I would be able to tolerate that level of humidity.
The fact is, Tish really did not care about the comfort of the guests in this hotel. She was full of excuses and short on solutions. She did offer to place a dehumidifier in my room while I was away for work.
I can not say she did not have maintenance place the ONE working dehumidifier in my room throughout the day, what I can say is IF they did, it did not help when I returned that evening.
The humidity in my room when I returned was 86%, despite clear skies. I took my device into the hall and found the humidity in the hall was 82%. When I reached the front desk on the first floor, the reading was 55%.
I spoke with April, someone I have known for as long as I have frequented this hotel. I shared with her my issue with humidity AND with Tish.
April listened intently and apologized for the situation. Then, she asked if I would like to change rooms. She had another room available on the other hall of the 2nd floor. she sent me to check that room. I took my device along and the further I went down that hall, the lower the humidity reading was. When I got in the new room, the humidity level continued to drop and drop and drop. In the few minutes I was in tat room, my device had gone down to 55 % humidity and was continuing on a downward trend. I called the front desk and told April I would be moving from my original room.

There IS something wrong in that hotel that has not been wrong before. The air conditioning units on the one hall are not able to compensate for whatever the issue is and it NEEDS to be addressed to avoid development of mold in the hotel.

Tish is a "manager" but fails to manage. All she could offer was excuses and jokes and a "solution" that did not work. If I was the owner of the property, I would really have to take a look at my management team and evaluate IF Tish should be a manager, or even an employee with her complete failure to manage or offer customer service.

On the other hand, April has ALWAYS offered guests the very best in customer service. Not just to me personally, but to absolutely EVERY single guest I have ever seen go past her window. She greets them with a genuine warmth and has handled any issue with professionalism and grace. She has NEVER made an excuse, only found a solution. She, in my opinion is management, even without the official title.

Date of stay: August 2018
Trip type: Travelled on business
IHGService, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Knoxville, responded to this reviewResponded 10 September 2018

Hello Dana J,

Thank you for taking time to share your experience with us. I am sorry to hear that you did not fully enjoy your time in our hotel due to the condition of the room and the level of service you received. We take comments such as these seriously and would like to follow up with you. I have sent you a private message in an effort to obtain more information.

I look forward to hearing back from you very soon.

Best Regards,

John O
Case Manager
IHGService

Reviewed 3 June 2018 via mobile

Location A+, price A+, cleanliness A+, quiet, spacious and the amount and access to green space for the dog A+. Will definitely revisit! Comfortable bed. The shower was the greatest! Even had a gazebo and place to barbecue. Trip wasn't for pleasure, but the stay made it pleasurable.

Date of stay: June 2018
Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 27 May 2018 via mobile

I was pretty skeptical about staying here but with a huge youth event in town as they say beggars can’t be choosers. Finding a room anywhere in Knoxville was a challenge. My son was having outpatient surgery in Knoxville and we needed a place to stay the night before traveling back home. We needed an early check in since he had just been released from the hospital and they did their best to accommodate us. The room fit our needs perfectly. We were thrilled there was a recliner in the room as this was a perfect place for my son to sit. The room was clean and was well equipped with everything we needed. My only complaint was that there was a bit of a musty odor when the air conditioner came on and I wasn’t thrilled about that. Perhaps it needs to be cleaned. Overall we had a nice experience and I would definitely consider staying there again.

Date of stay: May 2018
Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank betharw
Reviewed 16 May 2018

I have never stayed in a Candlewood Suites before and thought that as a lower priced hotel, that it may not be the best accommodations. Were we completely surprised! The staff was friendly and the room was very comfortable. Even though there was obvious wear and tear in the rooms, they were clean and comfortable. We only stayed for two nights, but, if ever in the Knoxville area again, we would definitely stay there again!

Date of stay: April 2018