“Cool Location, Average Beer, Service Needs Improvement”

Depot Street Brewing, Jonesborough Tennessee
Ranked #10 of 18 things to do in Jonesborough
Reviewed 21 December 2014

This microbrewery has an interesting layout with some cool spaces and lots of potential. Unfortunately, the beer is unremarkable at this point and the service model leaves a lot to be desired.

Being told you can't sample a beer before you commit to a pint is as out of place in the microbrewery industry as "no test drives allowed" would be at a car dealership. Get a clue people. Not sure if was just Lee, the abrasive server working the day I visited, or the policy of the owner/brewer, Either way, it's out of sync, in both spirit and practice.

The best parts of this brewery are the cool loft and the neat patio space, with pot belly wood stoves out back, right beside the railroad track.

This place has potential. Once the beer recipes mature a bit and the service improves.

Will not return.

"derailed"
"seating"
"purchase"

Reviewed 3 November 2014

My first trip to this brewery was instant satisfaction for me. I can't believe that after all the times I've been there I'm just now writing a review.
Although cold weather makes for a less appealing visit, it can be a good time to wind down at the bar and chat with Mike and his friendly staff. They do have a little stove in the yard out back if you enjoy huddling with friends.
Now, to the real business, beer. They make, and I'm not exaggerating, the best beer I've ever tasted. My first beer from Depot Street was the Express. Since then, I've tried everyone of their beers except the Freightliner. Of all the beers they make, it's hard for me to get away from the Loose Caboose. Every time I go to a restaurant and order a beer, Loose Caboose is my first choice. And if they don't sell Depot Street, I'm sure to remind them of supporting local businesses.
As my memory serves me, they are open Wed afternoons and Fridays and Saturdays (although I'm not sure of the times). I'll occasionally go by and pick up a mix-six.
I'm not kidding when I say that this place, in part, has turned me away from cheap, commercial beers.
Also, if you're a fan of bocce ball like me, you'll really get sucked into the excellent clay court that Mike has installed. It even has a cover so that play can continue in spite of rain or bright sunshine. Although tournaments are held on occasion, this court is for the beginner as well.
I hear that they occasionally host live music, although I've never been there when this was happening, so I can't say much about it.
Situated right beside the railroad tracks (and I do mean right beside) this unique little brewery is a must-try.

Reviewed 6 August 2014 via mobile

This brewery is a surprise. Friendly staff and free tastes. There were 8 different brews on tap. The varieties change with the seasons. Indoor and outdoor casual seating. Relaxed atmosphere. Fab beers.

1  Thank colfal8
Reviewed 12 July 2014 via mobile

Had a nice selection on tap. Not a fancy place and everyone was enjoying the afternoon. Love the dogs as they made us feel right at home. Good beer at a good price. We'll be back on our next trip through the area.

1  Thank xkegroller