“The Sushi and the Cocktails are Top Notch!”

Miso Teriyaki House
Ranked #88 of 329 Restaurants in Johnson City
Cuisines: Japanese
Reviewed 14 November 2015

I recommend that you eat in the back, if you're looking for a quieter, more upscale ambiance. The table closes to the bar is a bit crowded -- a bar patron kept jostling our table. But the food!!! The sushi is excellent, and the drinks were well-made. The miso soup (which I usually hate) was great. We experienced a short wait; however, it was obvious the sushi was freshly made to order and the fried rice was about the best I've ever tasted.

Thank D.E. H

Reviewed 15 September 2015

We went on half priced sushi nice and, while it was good, it was exactly what you would expect from a place selling half priced sushi- small fish portions with extra of everything else, but hey, it was $35 for 9 rolls (!!).

Reviewed 3 August 2015 via mobile

I recently moved to Johnson City and visited most of the sushi restaurants to find the best (see my other reviews). I was told consistently by locals to avoid this place, but I always have to explore things for myself.
I found that the sushi was passable, though not great. The rolls were fairly fresh, they were made after ordered, but the ingredients were a little aged, the avocado had started spotting here and there. The real downfall of their sushi is that the ingredients are not the best. They have fishy eel and flavorless crab stick and cucumber. They need to find a better supplier.
The decor is nice enough, but the soup and salad were downright insulting. The restaurant is in a Kroger parking lot and the soup and salad both look to be pre-made purchases from that very Kroger. They lack any uniqueness or real character.
Not the worst sushi place in town, but almost the most expensive, which really hurts when comparing to alternatives that are both better and cheaper.

Reviewed 23 June 2015

Driving around on a Sunday night, looking for a place to eat, and saw Miso. Wasn't expecting too much, but it had a bar so we stopped in. What a wonderful surprise. The fish was fresh and on part with what one would find in a New York restaurant, but for a fraction of the price. The sashimi platter for 2 was more than enough food and only cost $30. Wow.

The seaweed salad was also fresh and flavorful and the drinks were well poured.

Highly recommended

1  Thank chifarmer
Reviewed 2 June 2015 via mobile

The food reminds me of the Asian places in all the malls. OK at best and not worth the price. California roll was OK and the teriyaki chicken and teriyaki beef were average. $12 for a small bottle of saki was too much.

Third time we have been there and the same each time.