“Good First Impression”

Deli Boys
Ranked #18 of 201 Restaurants in Cleveland
Price range: US$6 - US$14
Cuisines: Deli
Description: Locally owned and operated delicatessen. Craft food made to order just the way you like it. Casual atmosphere perfect for a lunch or dinner. Something for everyone from sandwiches, salads, bowls, hot dogs, sides, kid meals and more. A variety of craft drinks on tap from nitro coffee, kombucha, craft soda and Coke on fountain or fresh brewed tea, craft beer on tap and can or a selection of bottled beverages.
Reviewed 17 October 2017 via mobile

I met a friend here for dinner recently. She is a regular, but being fairly new to town, I'd never eaten here before. When we arrived, the place was packed, which I wasn't expecting for 6:30 on a Tuesday evening. Turns out, it was Spirit Night for a local school. Not a big deal because we weren't in a hurry. I ordered a Reuben because it's hard to go wrong with a safe classic. My friend ordered a custom sandwich, and I was impressed with the variety and number of add-ons she had to choose from. There were some great local brews on tap, too. She raved about the pretzel, so we got one to share.

The pretzel arrived first. I was blown away. It was tender and chewy at the same time and absolute pretzel heaven. Unfortunately, we were too early in the season for their beer cheese dip, but the pretzel was still phenomenal with its side of coarse mustard.

Our sandwiches arrived shortly after the pretzel, both looking mighty tasty. My Reuben was good, but it tasted like it had been grilled/toasted too long. A lot of the juiciness I was expecting wasn't there. I was hoping for less crunchy texture and more steamy, melted action. That may be "user error," given that I didn't specify steamed vs grilled when I ordered.

All the employees were friendly, if a bit frazzled from the larger than usual dinner crowd. The lady who brought our sandwiches apologized for the wait. I told her that I've worked in restaurants before, and the only thing you can do when you're slammed is to soldier on!

I came home that evening and told my husband that Deli Boys made it to my list of places we should visit next time we catch a low-key dinner together. A good first impression overall.

Reviewed 2 October 2017

Deli Boys is a sandwich, salad, soup place. Very good sandwiches. Super clean, super friendly. Order at the counter and you food will be delivered to your table. Usually crowded during lunch but there usually is a place to sit and enjoy your food.

deliboysmgt, Owner at Deli Boys, responded to this reviewResponded 5 October 2017

Reviewed 3 September 2017 via mobile

I was in town on business and found this little hole in the wall deli called deli boys. The French dip was awesome!! The staff was phenomenal in every aspect from the beginning to the end. They honestly cared that we came in to eat. They were thrilled when they found out it was our first time coming in. You have to try it!!

We appreciate your excellent review. We are glad you decided to try us out.

Reviewed 15 July 2017 via mobile

I've been to Deli boys on numerous occasions and have never been disappointed .....until now. I ordered the schiracha chicken sandwich and mashed potatoes and a kids cheese sandwich with fruit salad. The sandwich was cold, had no real flavor which I left after taking two bites. The mashed potatoes tasted like they were potato buds instants and the fruit salad tasted like it had been sitting for several days in the refrigerator. Additionally, the wait was 30 minutes. Very disappointing. I feel Deli boys has grown to fast to keep up with the quality food they once prepared.

deliboysmgt, Owner at Deli Boys, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2017

I am very sorry to hear you had a disappointing experience. The Sriracha Bourbon chicken sandwich is one of our most popular sandwiches. From memory I believe you were the ones who asked for no bacon on the sandwich. We created that sandwich with the Benton's Bacon and it really gives a lot of flavor together. We don't use instant mash potatoes we use real potatoes. Also the fruit was fresh and delivered Friday morning so it had not been sitting in our refrigerator for several days. You may have come during a busy time on Friday which made your order take longer than usual. We prepare everything to order which takes longer since we are not fast food. We are one of the only local places to offer a wide variety of fresh healthy menu items and is why we have become so popular. We do pride ourselves on using fresh and high quality food. We have not changed or lessen our quality of ingredients. In fact, we are always adding better ingredients when they come available. Please send your email to deliboysofcleveland@gmail.com. I would like to send you an e-gift card to come back and try us again.

Reviewed 9 July 2017 via mobile

Deli boys is the best sandwich place in Cleveland. Been there many times and it's always good. My faves are the Reuben and French Dip, but it's hard to wrong with any thing they have. Great service also.

deliboysmgt, Manager at Deli Boys, responded to this reviewResponded 5 October 2017

We love reading your review. Can never go wrong with classics