“Excellent ”

St. John's Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
St. John's Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 850 Restaurants in Chattanooga
Price range: US$30 - US$50
Cuisines: American
Good for: Groups, Local cuisine, Romantic, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: 13th St
Transit: Chattanooga's complimentary electric shuttle has a stop at the St. John's building.
Description: Chattanooga's most acclaimed restaurant, St. John's Restaurant serves inventive Regional American cuisine from Chef Daniel Lindley in a elegant, historic setting. St. John's superb staff will provide you with a warm and remarkable dining experience and delight you with an extensive and eclectic selection of wines.
Reviewed 21 September 2017 via mobile

We are tourists from U.K. Here for a couple of days wanting a bit of class and this place was perfect. Great service, brilliant barman, fantastic food. Thanks

Reviewed 18 September 2017

Second visits to places you've loved sometimes end in disappointment. Not the case here. Our return visit was just as wonderful as the first.

St. John's just gets it right. The ambience is warm and lovely and the staff is unfailingly affable. We were seated in the upstairs dining area in each of our two visits and we find the views of the bar and lower dining area enjoyable.

We began with a couple of craft cocktails and a 'for the table' Hawkins Haze cheese plate accompanied with sorghum pecans and fig jam. The pecans were off the charts great. We followed with starters --based on our server Shannon's recommendation--of pumpkin soup for my wife and Kenny's roasted pork belly for me. Both were excellent, the pork belly served over a small buttermilk biscuit with chanterelle mushrooms.

For main courses my wife chose the pork tenderloin and cheek entree, which came with collard greens, white beans, buttercup squash and a bit of chorizo. Both pork selections were tender and delicious. I went with Shannon's recommendation of Wagyu beef steak and brisket. This came with a reddish warm potato salad, zucchini and creamed corn. Both beef selections were outstanding.

All of these dishes were cleverly conceived, beautifully presented and completely delicious. We left not a bite uneaten. We finished with a dessert of carrot cake and vanilla ice cream.

We are in Chattanooga once or twice a year and thrilled to know that St. John's is there as a dinner destination. It's among our very favorites anywhere.

Reviewed 17 September 2017 via mobile

This place does it right. Everything was delicious from the pumpkin lobster soup to the halibut to the filet. Great wine selection. Sorbet flavors all super tasty and made in house and the devils food cake with chocolate peanut butter ice cream is amazing. Wait staff was fabulous. Great vibe. Would definitely recommend.

Reviewed 16 September 2017 via mobile

This restaurant is fabulous! We stayed in Chattanooga just to eat here again. The space is beautiful, the staff is well trained and the food is incredible! We started with bacon wrapped dates and then shared the pumpkin lobster soup. To. DIE. FOR! My wagyu ribeye was great and my husband pork belly and tenderloin was so fabulous. Love the hint of Indian seasoning and the greens were so yummy! One of the top restaurants...anywhere!!

Reviewed 10 September 2017 via mobile

I have eaten here 5 or 6 times and this is the first experience whereby I couldn't give a 5. The food was hit or miss from being good, very good or excellent. It has to be excellent all the time for a 5. Service, however, was very good throughout the dinner.

Excellent - the duck with fried rice, the expresso, the chocolate cake with toasted coconut banana, my grandchildren's French fries were the best I have ever tried

Very Good - the steak tartare, the bread, the wagyu beef, the service

Good - the Pimento Cheese with crab crackers, however for $8 it was disappointing and forgettable other than how little the portion size was

Additionally, on all the other occasions we ate upstairs. This time we were In the downstairs area where you pass through a short hallway to an area that looks like an un-kept overflow space. Not to my expectation for a restaurant of this caliber.

Conclusion, St Johns was not on their A-game last night. In my opinion, they will start to slip from #1 in Chattanooga if they don't regroup.