“Real Mexican”

Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Takeout
Reviewed 21 February 2017

If you've been to one of many basic Mexican restaurants you'll understand real after eating here...don't be afraid to order something unknown. Service is stupid fast, price is cheap...drinks are cold...what more do you want?

1  Thank joseph t

Reviewed 15 February 2017

This place is not easy on the eyes, but the food is always good. The beef taco salad, or the chicken chimichangas are always a good choice. I also like the beef nachos(grease heavy, but so good) if you are looking for something easy.

1  Thank michael h
Reviewed 18 December 2016

I've been coming to this location for years. A few months back they were in the process of changing their menu. I got to see the new menu on this visit, namely the biggest change is that they did away with all lunch specials. They now have a small and large portion of most of their meals, the small portion is what they consider the lunch portion. For example, if you want a chimi, the small uses a 10" tortilla, the large a 12". The guys I eat with are like me, we liked to get the meals where you can get combinations of items. Those days are gone. Also, I asked for hot sauce, which they brought out...I said it was very hot....server said they have a hotter pico-de-gallo. He brought me out a tablespoon if the stuff and he charge me a buck for it!!! What the heck. Food was average.

2  Thank DealScout
Reviewed 11 December 2016 via mobile

My experience at la altena was not bad, but also nothing to write home about.
Its good priced, the service is good. But the food is just average in my opinion.
Also they charge you for tap water, which I have never seen before in the US.

Reviewed 28 August 2016 via mobile

This could be a 5 star if the location was a little more upscale. However, do not let the outside fool you, the inside is clean and comfortable. The food is superb. The Carnitas, Carne Asada and Barbacoa are great. The Margaritas are good too. The menu is substantial. This is some of the best Mexican I have ever had. Top 10 for me and I lived in Tucson for 12 years.
Friendly staff too.