“Clean and modern, but dishonest management”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Wall
Frontier Cabins Motel
Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Wall
Reviewed 9 August 2012

My husband and I were on our way from Pennsylvania to California and stopped here for one night. In the beginning, everything was fine: the room was clean, the beds were comfortable, and the location was excellent. Except for there being a dozen flies or so (I think this is just normal in the plains...), we were really happy with the room.

The next morning, we had the continental breakfast, which was respectable. We packed up the car, turned in the keys, and left for gas and the Badlands. About 45 minutes after our departure, a woman from the front desk called to inform me that the manager had found a broken wastebasket in our room and was going to charge us for it. I don't destroy others' property, but when it happens accidentally, I always own up to it. I asked about the wastebasket, as I couldn't remember seeing anything but simple, white, plastic wastebaskets. She said she'd found a "nice one with animals on it" broken into pieces. I told her that we hadn't broken anything. She asked if we were still in Wall and I replied that we were and she said we could come back to the front desk to see it.

Even though we were 30 minutes into the Badlands, we turned around and went back to the front desk. Sure enough, a ceramic or resin wastebasket decorated with reliefs of animals was lying in pieces; something that really could only have happened deliberately. The manager came out and told us she'd found it in our room, near the bathroom sink. My husband had to do all the talking because I was so furious, but he handled the situation calmly. He said we didn't break it at all and that we didn't even recognize that wastebasket.

The manager said she found it empty, even though there was only one wastebasket in the cabin and we had put a few plastic cups into it, as well as some napkins. Through out the whole time, she didn't look at either of us in the eye. She kept moving her eyes shiftily around from place to place. Finally, after two or three minutes, she relented and said she wouldn't charge us because she didn't have any proof (even though she said she'd been in there the day before and it was fine). We left without saying a word.

In the end, it seems like the semi-perfect scam. You have a broken wastebasket (either from a careless or destructive tenant) that you then allege departed guests to have broken. Most of them will already be 30 - 45 minutes into their trip and decide that the 1 - 1.5 hour round-trip isn't worth it and agree to the charges on their credit card. Rinse, lather, repeat.

Of course, we don't have any proof that it's a scam - other than our word that we wouldn't break anyone's wastebasket. If we had, I'd be more than happy to pay $25 or $75 (or whatever that thing costs) - but to be maligned like that was more than I could bear. Perhaps she saw our Pennsylvania plates and knew we'd be out of town? Or perhaps she doesn't like same-sex interracial couples and wanted to stick it to us? Again, I have no proof.

At the very least, take a few photos of your room - and pay attention to the wastebasket, in particular.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
8  Thank AthameEse
Frontier_Cabins, Owner at Frontier Cabins Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2012

Thank you for your comment. I'm glad you were happy with the cabin. In response to your criticism of our onsite manager, I offer the following information. Our manager, due to the heavy work load, has been helping our housekeeping crew. She happened to clean cabin 12 before your arrival. She emptied and put a new liner in the wastebasket as we always do. You stayed in cabin 12. Shortly after you checked out she cleaned the cabin again for our next scheduled guests. She checked the wastebasket and it was empty, no liner and no trash. This is unusual since there is only 1 wastebasket in the cabin. The only reason it could be empty is because someone had removed the liner and anything else, like cups, that might have been in it. The wastebasket pieces were carefully put back together to disguise that it was broken. Every cabin is furnished with designer furniture and accessories and yes, even the wastebaskets which are exactly the same in every cabin.

Even good people, as I am sure you are, find it embarrassing and do not like to admit they broke something but the fact is, the wastebasket was not broken when you arrived and it was broken when you departed. We do not run a scam as you suggested. We would not have all of the good reviews we get if we did. The only scam here is you not admitting your mistake. Anyway, we did not charge you and you are welcome to stay in our cabins the next time you are this way. Happy Traveling.
Frontier Cabins Management

Reviewed 8 August 2012

I stayed here while driving through SD with my two young children & mom durning Surgis. After checking hotels & finding nothing under $150 it was a wonderful surprise to find these for $105. After driving through town & seeing other hotels & quickly realized how great of a deal these cabins really were. I easily made reservations over the phone. The staff is wonderfull, very helpful & polite. The prices just can't be beat. I can't wait to bring my husband back here. The rooms look & smell clean. Great FREE breakfast with many items to select. Easy to find, right off I90.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 August 2012

I was really surprised at the quality of this place. When we pulled in to town and I saw several of the hotels/motels in the area, I was a bit concerned. My wife had booked this place and I had not looked on Trip Advisor for reviews....so when we arrived, I was very surprised.

While it is a bit out of town, it is not far from dining or Wall Drug. The place was really great. The cabins are very well appointed, have great rustic furniture and are VERY, VERY CLEAN. We got one with a kitchen and it was nice to have a small fridge. The bed linens and towels were in great condition and you can tell the owners have taken great care in selecting everything to make you feel at home. The cabins are just off I-90, but no worries about the noise. It is a quiet little place and you won't hear traffic or anything.

We had a WEST facing cabin and it was nice to sit on the porch in the afternoon with a cup of coffee and watch the sunset. The breakfast was nice, but one woman running was a bit of a control freak and the layout was a little less than ideal for the size group that was trying to eat at the same time.

Overall, this is a GREAT place to stay and based upon what I saw from the outside, the BEST place to stay in Wall. The location is great and our kids loved the Tee Pee's and the play area (not that big, but still fun). Don't forget to take a picture near the buffalo!

Reviewed 2 August 2012

After a full day of driving, we were so happy to see that Frontier Cabins were clean, convenient, cool and inexpensive. For less than $100 a night, these cabins were better than some for twice the cost in other places. The cabins are situated right off I-90, but our cabin was facing out over the prairie. The cabins are air-conditioned--which was great in the middle of 95 degree heat! The beds were comfy and the bathroom was spotless. The staff was helpful and friendly--you could sense they were proud of their establishment. In the gift shop, they serve a continental breakfast with lots of options. Overall, we enjoyed our stay and would return if we come back through SD.

Reviewed 2 August 2012

There is a limited choice of hotels in Wall. The cabins are the best choice by far. They were pristinely clean and well-maintained. We had both a double queen cabin and one with a kitchenette due to the size of our group. Definitely request a west-facing cabin to enjoy the beautiful sunsets. Despite the fact it's right by the expressway, it was very quiet at night. The hottub was a great way to unwind at the end of the day. The free continental breakfast was a nice touch - oatmeal, waffles, bagels, pastries, milk, oj and coffee made for a quick breakfast. Less than 10 miles from the Badlands National Park.

Room Tip: ask for west facing room to enjoy the sunsets.